RW-12d vs Sub 12

Jakeg123

i have the rw-12 (same thing, for all intensive purposes) and am not sure why i keep thinking about getting rid of it. it moves air and hits deep for movies and blends wonderfully with my rf-5's for music. i still battle with placement, but I have huge room layout and WAF issues with this particular speaker. in spite of that ..it's a top performer. i probably need to hold onto it until i can afford an rt-12d or something similar.

I realized that I forgot to mention that the sub will be in a all carpet room. I have heard that a down firing sub that fires right into carpet is bad. Any opinions? Is that another reason to get the RW-12d instead?

No, I really believe thats a phenomenon, I have down firing subs on carpet and they sound awesome. Creates more feel in the sound too. Its what YOU want though, not what everyone else wants/thinks.

I realized that I forgot to mention that the sub will be in a all carpet room. I have heard that a down firing sub that fires right into carpet is bad. Any opinions? Is that another reason to get the RW-12d instead?

No, I really believe thats a phenomenon, I have down firing subs on carpet and they sound awesome. Creates more feel in the sound too. Its what YOU want though, not what everyone else wants/thinks.

A down firing sub creates more feel in the sound? I thought it didn't matter because bass is omnidirectional?

A down firing sub creates more feel in the sound? I thought it didn't matter because bass is omnidirectional?

It really doesn't matter, it is the low hz which you feel, I think it is often easier (cheaper) to make a down firing sub. However it is the power and low hz which are what you feel from a sub.

Personally I have always preferred front/rear firing subs, I know it is not supposed to matter but to me these always seem to sound better musically, possibly because of higher hz which the subs produce which are a little more directional.

It depends a lot on the room, however in my room where I had my RW-12d it was very powerful and was strongly felt as well as heard.

I have two RW-12d's and I don't have any complaints. I got both of them for the total of $650, and I can use two of them to help smooth the curve through the room. At retail price, they're not worth it, however, at $300 - $350, I'd say they are definitely worth it. I haven't heard any port chuffing, but if there is some, it's being masked by all the other sound coming out in the room :)

With a minimal pirce diference of $150, I'd be inclined to get the Reference series (RW-12d).

I have two RW-12d's and I don't have any complaints. I got both of them for the total of $650, and I can use two of them to help smooth the curve through the room. At retail price, they're not worth it, however, at $300 - $350, I'd say they are definitely worth it. I haven't heard any port chuffing, but if there is some, it's being masked by all the other sound coming out in the room :)

With a minimal pirce diference of $150, I'd be inclined to get the Reference series (RW-12d).

Wow! That is a really great price! Where did you buy your RW-12ds from? Or did you purchase them used?

Both new.

The first one was purchased through a friend that had a part time job at Ultimate Electronics (got my RF-62's for $400/pair and RC-62 for $250 through him at the same time). The second one was purchased throug Ebay when they were giving something like 30% back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had both of these subs at the same time. They are both really great for the price. I had them both running at the same time, and I also A-B'd them using several different types of music to see the differences in them. In my short conclusion, the rw-12d is a clear winner for many reasons. The components are obviously better, the cabinet is much nicer and will match the other reference speakers nicely, the top mounted digital control is nice when making adjustments. Last but certainly not least, sound quality is better with the rw. I did not notice any difference in the down versus front firing configuration on my carpeted floor. The sub 12 does a great job but tends to be a little boomy at times. This is especially noticable if you will be mostly using it for music listening. Not dissing the sub 12 at all since I currently have one that I picked up new in the box for $200 via craigslist! The rw-12d can be had for an easy $500 on ebay new in the box. The extra $150-$200 more for the rw will be well worth it, in my opinion of course. Just to take it a step further, I personally liked the rw-12d better than the rsw-15 that I also had for awhile. The ported design of the rw-12d played the very low octave stuff with much more authority. Those two subs together would make a great combination.

• 1 year later...

Just to take it a step further, I personally liked the rw-12d better than the rsw-15 that I also had for awhile. The ported design of the rw-12d played the very low octave stuff with much more authority.

Hello fellows, hello Bob

One thing that grabed my mind is what Bob said about rw-12d. Dear Bob and you all gentlemen your experience with the rw-12d is of so much importance for me.. I am from Europe and am going to buy this authority...already compared it with some competitors (i am from germany there is another beast 20-120Hz +/-3dB but it costs 50% more bugs 620Euro and now Klipsch is very cheap right now around 450Euro), it wins until now. I saw tests showing -3dB Frequency of 22Hz for the Klipsch so i favored it ober the 20Hz german beast (which has 2 ports and have nearly the same volume).

Please tell me about how did the rw-12d do better than the rsw-15.., did it go deeper was it more defined in the range 20 - 30 Hz than its 15 inch brother with passive membrane? If anyone had the chance to compare this sub with a better one please share

yours covelti