A supprise excelent center match for Fort'e 1 mains

Cal Blacksmith

Long story short, I shuffled things around a bit and wound up with my Fort'e 1s as mains in my TV room. I left the rest of the setup alone and ballanced the system. To my supprise the center a Synergy SC1 was SEAMLESS with the Fort'es[:|] The match was outstanding, what can I say, I must have sat in front of the mains and center moving from side to side to listen to the pan for 15 minutes and I was stunned[:D]

So, by accident I discovered a new combo of the front 3 for anyone who is interested. These are fairly low cost speakers used so the price is right also.

I just thought I would let you guys know, it took me by supprise!

• 5 months later...

Picked one up on eBay locally for $29.95! The speaker's sticker on the back fell off so the seller didn't know what it was. I compared pictures on the site to the actual speaker and its obvious that it is the SC-1. Cal, if this doesn't work with my Fortes you owe me $30!! [;)]

Hopefully I'll be picking it up Saturday. I figured for less than $30 I couldn't go wrong. If it works, it works. If not, I don't think I'll lose any money selling it.

Tell you what, if you don't like it, I will buy it from you and pay shipping to me (hey just what you have in it, not what the REAL world price would be for this sound!)

Really though, it does match very well, as I said, I sat there for a long time and just could not bleeave the way it sounded! BUT HEY for $30 you don't have much to loose [;)]

Well, so far so good. Unfortunately my TV stand is very low so the speaker sits a lot lower than it should. I have it tilted up quite a bit and that helps. I'm going to see if I can set it directly on top of my TV stand. There's just enough room in the height of the TV so that it won't cover up any of the picture. The TV is so deep though that it takes up most of the stand. I might get a couple long L brackets and slip them under the TV and hook the front of the bracket between the woofer and horn on the center.

I have to run Audyssey to balance everything out but I just balanced it to my ear so far.

I went to the hardware store after work tonight and picked up a couple strips of metal to use as supports under the center speaker. They work a lot better than the free paint stir sticks I was using! [:$]

So I now have the speaker sitting on the top ledge of my TV stand tilted upwards slightly. My wife commented that the speaker sounds much better there than it did sitting inside the TV stand. For her to notice a difference and comment on it really means something.

I really am impressed by this center! Its sensitivity (95dB) is slightly less than my Forte II fronts (99?dB) so I have it bumped up a little on my receiver. I still haven't ran Audyssey but I've listened to music and watched movies and I think my $30 investment was well worth it. Thanks for the recommendation Cal!

Paint sticks LOL![:D]

I am glad that it seems to be working for you. I know I was impressed and yes it is a little less efficent than the Fort'es but that is easily fixed as you know. I was never worried about the need to pay you for the speaker but it is nice to hear that you are enjoying it in your TV system!

For anyone who wants to try out an SC-1 to see if they like it there's one on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-SC-1-Center-Channel-excellent-condition-/250616434215?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3a59e74e27

Also, there's an SC-3 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-SC3-Center-Channel-Speaker-/260577704308?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3caba43974

I'm almost tempted to send a lowball offer on the SC-3 to see if the seller accepts it.

• 9 months later...

Resurecting the dead! [:D]

Is anyone still using a SC1 with thier Fortes? I am currently using a C7 and it is just too bright with my Forte Is. I have used (and sold) everything from an Academy, a KV4, a KT-LCR and a KV3 with my Fortes over the years and the best was, of course, the Academy. I am currently looking for a walnut Academy in good condition but was wondering if people were still using/getting good results with their SC1.

Thanks,

Austin

I still have my SC-1, and (cringe) am using it with RF-7s in my HT until an upgrade presents itself. Still remember very well how good it sounded with Forte IIs, which are being used for two channel.

I bought it off Ebay for around $60 plus shipping. It would be a great crutch until the Academy comes along.