heresy vs reference

quadklipsh

id like to know ,if the bass extension deficit in the heresies ,any problem for music and movies

why did they not design it to go lower n deeper ,

afterall its the same driver used in other heritage line speakers that go to 32 hz,;)

wud the RB-5 or the likes of rf series beat the old heresys in terms of musicality

if yes , explain

if no ,explain too

I personally think the Heresy is more musical than the my RF-7s; I think because of the separate horn for the mids and the highs. The Heresy is also an easier load on my low-powered SET amp, which is the most musical of all the amps I have.

I'll let the experts answer your other questions regarding design, etc.

Rick

The bass is mostly the result of the cabinet volume, but..... you can get it to at least down to where it is supposed to be (~45 - ~50Hz) by making sure the cabinet is properly sealed, drivers in good shape and crossovers up to sped with new caps. The best "improvement" in terms of better bass response is to swap out the K-22/24's used in the Heresy-I's and II's, respectively, for the K-28's from the Heresy-III's. With the 28's, the bass is solid, within the scope of what the cabinet can do.

In my opionin the difference between Heritage and Reference is not about bass responce or how deep they dig, but instead where do you want your midrange to live.

In Heritage the midrange horn kick in 400 Hz in the Khorn and LaScalla. 700 Hz in the Heresy and new Cornwall. In the reference line the midrange horn kicks in the 2000 Hz range forcing a lot of your midrange to your woofers. This makes the Heritage midrange a lot more pronounced and cleaner IMO.

JM

id like to know ,if the bass extension deficit in the heresies ,any problem for music and movies

why did they not design it to go lower n deeper ,

afterall its the same driver used in other heritage line speakers that go to 32 hz,;)

wud the RB-5 or the likes of rf series beat the old heresys in terms of musicality

if yes , explain

if no ,explain too

If you use a Heresy set up for HT, the bass exension issue is corrected with your subwoofer, so it's really not an issue.

I've never compared an RB-5 to a Heresy but I have compared a RF-5 to a Heresy. The difference in the top end was not as noticeable as you might think, but they do have a different sound. My comparison is based on a RF-5 and a H3. If I could only have 2 speakers and I had to choose between the 2 pair, I'd take the RF-5's. Others may differ, but the lack of bass really takes away from the overall presentation of the Heresy when compared to the RF-5. The mids and highs of the RF-5 are not as crystal as the Heresy but are very nice none the less.