Heritage la Scala versus the old La Scala

seagull

Preface: I've owned LaScalas for 30 years. I've heard the LaScala II's and feel it's a distinct improvment over the original. For me, the primary improvement is in the bass response. Though I'm told (by Klipsch) that they both have essentially the same bass response, the LaScala II's SEEM like they go down another octave (or at least a noticable amount). Evidently, this is because of their thicker sidewalls that do not resonate as much/bad as the originals do. This is a very good improvement.

I'll let others opine on the merits of the midrange.

You can't buy the original LaScala any more so one is relagated to buying them used which means, you can get a great speaker and add some tweeks to it and have a stellar performer for probably less outlay than a new pair of LaScala II's.

On the other hand, the LaScala II's are far more attractive, have fewer things to fix right from the start.

I have a third LaScala, empty box. It's rough and I'm intending on playing around with it. I'm intrigued to see if I could add some nice oak (or something) 3/4" plywood on the outsides, put some hardwood trim around the front, lop the mid/top section off of it and set a larger K402 on it to make it a JubeScala with better bass than the original. If I screw it up, I've not got too much invested into it however.... I personally think those alteratioins will make it sound noticably better than my 30 year old original LaScalas with some extreme slope networks in them.

Just to clarify, all La Scalas are Heritage Series. The new ones, made from 2006 on, are called La Scala II, while the original ones are called simply La Scala.

From all reports, the La Scala II is a definite improvement over the original, but of course it's more expensive and used ones are hard to find.