cant decide, need advice

Thaddeus Smith

I'm working on a photo gig that might give me some extra speaker money and am considering an upgrade to my home made rears (which will become my garage speakers).

I'm one of those poor saps that has the couch against the rear wall and does not have side walls which are feasible for mounting.. I'm looking at either RB-81's on stands pointed at the LP or RS-62's mounted along the back wall with the combined 180 deg. coverage for the LP. Option C would be holding out for another pair of RF-5's (to appease those that feel matching speakers all the way around)

either option will be useable in future houses, so I'm mostly concerned for the best option to use now with the widest versatility in the future. my current surrounds do the job, but since I've been looking for garage speakers, I might as well use the funds toward my main setup. or maybe i should look for a new sub ..hell, i dunno. i'll snap a few pics of my current setup and post for reference

Cripes! That's amazing. Angled walls, too? Sigh.

If you can, getting a pair to match the fronts would not be a bad idea. Eventually (the future) they would make good rears when your room is a little more friendly.

I have to think on this a bit and study your pictures. Looks like the place was designed with cocktail parties in mind. And only about 10 ft. from couch to screen. OMG!

are talking about the actual small walls that are angled or my lens distortion? that tokina 11-16mm easily distorts when tilted off-axis. it is definitely a wide open space and we've done what we can to help bring it in a little and not feel so cavernous (nice tall ceilings too). and it's 12ft from seat to screen :P

Now I see what you mean by distortion. That angle to the left of the door looks like about 145 degrees!

RS-62s - if mounted high above the couch, say 3 ft. over ear level, you will get a listenable surround. You will also get a bounce off the sides that won't be much but it will color the sound. Could resemble echo/reverb. For the future, depending on the room, they live up to their billing and should be OK as long as the new place allows the couch to be off of the back wall. :-)

If you decide on a pair of towers, the sound in your existing room will be what you hear now except for better quality and a slightly higher placement of the high end in relation to your ears. That could be a little harsh since you really can't move them out from the couch very far. You could cover the horn with a drape to bring the highs down and let the mid/low balance the response out. (?) After moving to a new room, the towers should work but my experience is that they will need to be elevated a bit. For some reason, lower positioned surrounds just sound funny. The room feels like all the sound is in the lower half and that you have no roof. Personal preference probably. My surrounds are about 4 ft. back, 3 ft. up, and 8 ft. out from center. Not optimal but pleasing. Moving them closer to the front would be much better but, there is a big window on one side that doesn't allow mounting. I've been trying to design a ceiling drop for that surrond speaker but haven't come up with something that looks good and is sturdy enough.

Even though your side walls are 10 ft. away, it looks like in-walls would work. That sort of blows the future though. If you have any friends that have some similar towers that you could audition, that would be optimal. Of course using your current mains for rears and getting some heftier mains is always an option too!

Nice home.

thank you :) ...my wife and i have spent our first year of marriage trying to make it exactly that, a warm and inviting home. she's been very accommodating when it comes to my speakers.

thanks for the feedback and suggestions xki. fortunately, we're renting from a friend who's in London on a work/travel visa so I'm not stuck with this layout for the next 30 years. i'll probably keep my eyes open for a pair of rf-5/7's and play speaker shuffle from there. if you're going to do it, do it big right?

I agree with you guys. Very nice and inviting. My place is tattered, stained, shattered, broken, scribbled on, and in dire need of a make over. 4 kids are really hard on a place. The youngest turns 5 next year. Then the redo begins! The Mrs. is accomodating and she loves the sound those big dark cubes put out.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

thanks guys :) after bach'ing it up for quite a few years, I definitely developed my own sense of style. i was very fortunate to find a woman with similar tastes ..and willing to put up with my crap :D

that big speaker in the middle is one of my proudest achievements in the world of repurposing. it was a hideous turntable console that i picked up from the curb. gutted it, cut out the entire front, and built a mini flexy-stand inside. repainted and built a grill out of peg board and speaker fabric ..holds all my components wonderfully. i'll snap another pic later with the front off to show the components.

You can buy the 5's or 7's directly from KlipschWink

Absolutely beautiful home by the way. I could use some decorating pointers..........................but you knew that already.

i don't want to pay what klipsch is asking for them :P (no offense to the klipsch gods). and thank you carl ...that room could hugely benefit from some sound treatments, but i just don't see any feasible way of making that happen. your home was extremely warm and inviting for a complete stranger ..no complaints on this end.

• Moderators

Cool looking home, not sure about that dude in the mirror though. [:|]

If you happen to run across some nice bookshelf speakers cheap some nice stands would look good in there. I always think bigger is better but it is just rears, even some RS models mounted on stands could work.