adding 2 channel stereo audio

amusingisthedawn

I'm saving up money to have a room dedicated to listening to music. I simply can't enjoy listening to music in the theater room. It's too small and just not the right environment. So now I am looking to set myself up with : A receiver or amp, cd player, vinyl player, & forte II's. I don't have forte II's right now, but that seems to be the speaker for me (still open to suggestions though). If we were to pretend I already have the forte II's, and my budget was about $1200, what route should I go in terms of a good record player, cd player...and also...what is the suggestion for power as far as using forte II's is concerned? Thanks in advance for the help! I am very open to buying everything 2nd hand.

Man for $1200 you can get a lot of good gear. There is an on going thread about a turn table for $500, link here, with a lot of great models talked about. I personally have a Thorens 160 with a Shure M97xE, that is well under the $500 mark.

For a CD player you can look at a used Oppo, either the DV-981HD, DV-980H or DV-970HD. All 3 of those are said to be great players and support SACD playback. I have the DV-981HD for my DVD player in my HT setup and love it. I am looking to get one of the three for my 2 channel setup for just CD duty in the near future. These three can be found on the bay and other sites for under $200.

Now the look for power you can go the new separates route with Emotiva, a UPA-2 and USP-1 for under $650. You can also go vintage receiver route with either Marantz, H/K, or Yamaha. I currently have one of each in different 2-channel setups. The Marantz models to look for are the 22xx and 22xxB. The Harman Kardon to look for are the twin power models, they are x30 models. The Yamaha receiver to look for are the CR-xxxx models.

Now with that all said, I looked up the cost of my TT with a new Shure M97xE, Marantz receiver and Cornwalls that are hooked up to them. They come out to just about $1100 then add in the CD player that I want to get and even with speakers it comes really close to your $1200 price you are looking to spend. That price is for everything used and the majority of the items purchased right here on the forum.

Have fun and the more time you have to piece together the system the better deals you are sure to get.

James

Haha, oh buddy, all I have is TIME. I think the first on my list is the turntable and power. I'm bidding on a pair of Quartets on ebay for just about $100 shipped. They aren't in the best shape, but they work and they have the tactrix horn. They will suit my sound needs until I can grab a pair of MINT Forte IIs. I can research a good turntable pretty easy, but the power source is something I will need help with. How do I know to go with the seperates or vintage?

$1200 will put you in a VERY nice system if you're patient and shop around. Watch your local Craigs List very closely. There's a lot of nice stuff pop up there from time to time. Also join a lot of different forums and watch their classified sections. eBay can be a good source but it's often a gamble on things like turntables.

I've been luck to put together a couple of nice systems just by shopping and pouncing when something worthwhile comes up for sale.

For example...

Bedroom system

Onkyo TX-851 stereo receiver - $50 - AVS forum member
Klipsch KG2s speakers - $200 - Klipsch forum member
Dual 506 turntable - $50 - Local CL find
Yamaha K-903 - $10 - garage sale find that needed a $10 belt
Sony CDP-545 CD player - $15 - garage sale find that needed clean & lube
Sony RM-AV300 universal remote - $25 - Remote Central forum member

Grand total = $350 for a real nice sounding little bedroom system :)

Den / Office system

Marantz 2240 receiver - $275 - Audiogon
Marantz WC-22 cabinet - $160 - eBay
Klipsch Cornwalls - $500 - Local CL find
Rega Planar 3 turntable - $275 - Klipsch forum member
Panasonic RP-91 - $30 - Home Theater Lounge forum member
Shure M97xe cartridge - $60 - Bought new

Grand total = $1300 for a totally kick-a$$ den / office system

Now the really sad part is that it looks like I'll be selling off all of it. I only listen to my main living room system so the other two never get used. I hate to see nice audio equipment go totally to waste.

How do I know to go with the seperates or vintage?

That is something that is total up to you. One thing to remember about vintage gear is, it's old and can crap out at any moment. Then you have to ship it off to get fixed and you are without your beloved 2-channel for a few weeks or so. I have been lucky in that all three of my receivers are still kicking, can they use a good look thru, of course. I did take a can of DeoxIT to them and should in the near future again but just playing them every couples of days helps also.

I have heard a lot of good things from Emotiva and if I was looking for new gear that would be what I would get. Great product and warranty and from the reviews, built solid plus you can't over look the cost of them.

James

"One thing to remember about vintage gear is, it's old and can crap out at any moment"

A more true statement cannot be said.... Alot of the old stuff is, shall we say... "a ticking time bomb"... But then again, if all due attention is paid and th amp/receiver, etc is serviced before placing it in operation, it's well worth it (for the most part). Unfortunately, and sadly... the stuff is just getting old. It is has become a cornerstone to the old saying... "Caveat Emptor". In the near future, I predict that unless it's certain brands (Mac, pre-81 Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz, etc.) and within that, certain models, it will simply be mrore economical, if but practical, to purchase new units with a warranty. There is some good stuff out there. Expensive... but good.

it will simply be mrore economical, if but practical, to purchase new units with a warranty. There is some good stuff out there. Expensive... but good.

I just remembered about Outlaw, they have a 2-channel receiver that has a good phono hook up, so the reviews say. I remember a few people here have it and were surprised on the sound that it produces. It also has a sub out just in case you want to hook up a sub down the line, something that the vintage receiver don't have. Plus it has pre-outs if you also want to add an external amp, it all depends on your music tastes.

James

An alternative to the CD player is to go with a music server. You can build one pretty cheap with an outdated old PC. Just add a quality outboard DAC and you have just bested most available CD players IMO.

You can later (or now) add a nice wall-mounted monitor in the center of your system and have full control of your music library from the listening position. Great for those concert DVDs you want to watch also!

I too have a goal of a dedicated audio room but it won't be in our present home. Best of luck!

Rick

I love my Forte IIs driven by tubes. I started with a vintage Marantz integrated (1152DC) & thought the sound was terrific, but as soon as I set up my Dynaco ST-70 & PAS-3 I was hooked. I recently pulled the PAS-3 out for servicing & am using the 1152DC as a preamp, and while it does have that very smooth, classic (SS) vintage sound, I miss the PAS-3. (As others have mentioned, its nice to have some backup gear with vintage!)

For sources I have:

- Thorens TD-160 with Goldring ELEKTRA Cart

- Rega Planet CDP

- Marantz 2100 Tuner

- 3rd Gen iPod Nano

- Music Server / TiG4 800MHz Powerbook / iTunes + MAX / ALAC Files / (2) 80G External FW HDs / Keces DA-151

Not the highest end components but they match up well & sound SUPER!

Good luck,

Frank W.