Cherry Cornscala ddb

shepjk01

I will look tonight and get the dimensions for the ports and post them if jwc doesn't get to it first. Also if I had to do it all over again there is a couple things I would do to make the build go even quicker. First I would build the cabinets out of 3/4 inch grade aa veneered plywood. You can get it in varying plys. Saves the time it takes to veneer the cabinets and it also comes out cheaper. Next I would cut the center peice that seperates the top and bottom halves down 3/4 of an inch depth wise that way you can cut one baffle instead of two. It would also look better. At the time I didn't think about it plus I'm going to veneer the front of the bass bins anyways.

You can use the pdf from the original dbb thread. The triangular port mod is the same build except the baffle cutout and port shelves are different and easier.

Look at the attachment to show the mod. You can use slightly diiferent numbers to get the tuning differrently for the 3015 LF

jc

post-16499-13819524694326_thumb.jpg

I will look tonight and get the dimensions for the ports and post them if jwc doesn't get to it first. Also if I had to do it all over again there is a couple things I would do to make the build go even quicker. First I would build the cabinets out of 3/4 inch grade aa veneered plywood. You can get it in varying plys. Saves the time it takes to veneer the cabinets and it also comes out cheaper. Next I would cut the center peice that seperates the top and bottom halves down 3/4 of an inch depth wise that way you can cut one baffle instead of two. It would also look better. At the time I didn't think about it plus I'm going to veneer the front of the bass bins anyways.

Yes, if i were to build them again, I would recess that middle horizontal panel in order to use one baffle. I also would bring the baffle out flush with the top and sides to make a decorator' version. This would add a slight amount of volume to the cabinet for lower tuning if wanted.

Let me know if the baffle scratch up I posted is slightly different than what you and I spoke off on the phone. There is some slight variations to what i posted depending on what the goal is.....as far as tuning.

I want to make a point. This mod with the triangular ports and to accomidate another woofer I think is a great idea. But do remember the original plans and goal was to port "just like a cornwall" using crites or K33's. Some may want different things.

jc

The lascalas look good. One tip to make things a little easier on not having to fill in holes on the outside of the cabinets is to use a kreg jig to connect the peices of plywood together. It is the best tool I have bought in a long time.

http://www.kregtool.com/kregjig/index.php

Thanks I think I may use teak on this set there is a shop that has all kinds of exotic woods and the way the economy is I may be able to get a better deal.I like the look of the wood plugs on the outside of the cabinets .Thanks

Yes, if i were to build them again, I would recess that middle horizontal panel in order to use one baffle. I also would bring the baffle out flush with the top and sides to make a decorator' version. This would add a slight amount of volume to the cabinet for lower tuning if wanted.

Let me know if the baffle scratch up I posted is slightly different than what you and I spoke off on the phone. There is some slight variations to what i posted depending on what the goal is.....as far as tuning.

I want to make a point. This mod with the triangular ports and to accomidate another woofer I think is a great idea. But do remember the original plans and goal was to port "just like a cornwall" using crites or K33's. Some may want different things.

jc

jc

The plans you drew up are what I used. Also the cost is higher using the eminence kappalite 3015lf vs the k33's. You can buy 2 used k33's for the cost of one of the eminence drivers.

Do the woofers sound that much better to invest the extra money?

i could not tell you for sure as I don't have a set of k33's to compare them to. What the 3015lf's offer over the k33 on paper is lighter weight, 33% more excursion, higher sensitivity, and more power handling. The sensitivity is important and more max excursion especially when using a larger format midhorn.

When I mentioned the kreg jig I was just trying to help out I didn't mean to offend. Plugs look fine it just takes less time with the jig and you screw into the plwood at an angle which makes for alot stronger joint versus screwing into end grain.

Do the woofers sound that much better to invest the extra money?

i could not tell you for sure as I don't have a set of k33's to compare them to. What the 3015lf's offer over the k33 on paper is lighter weight, 33% more excursion, higher sensitivity, and more power handling. The sensitivity is important and more max excursion especially when using a larger format midhorn.

When I mentioned the kreg jig I was just trying to help out I didn't mean to offend. Plugs look fine it just takes less time with the jig and you screw into the plwood at an angle which makes for alot stronger joint versus screwing into end grain.

I guess my reply sounded that way as I was on my way out of the house but not at all and thank you for the jig info.[:D]

Well I finally had a chance last night to really open these up. I friend came over and brought his xti 4000 to provide a little more headroom to the speakers and I was estatic with the sound of the speakers. I like mostly hard rock and metal and do these shine with it. I could not keep my self from turning up the dial. With most horns speakers I have had in general the louder they go the more I wanted to turn them back down. With the dbb's I just kept turning the dial up not really paying attention to the volume the louder they went the better they sounded without a hint of being strained. I'm very glad I went with the eminence 3015lfs. They provide plenty of punch with out sounding boomy or strained in any fashion There is also something special about the jbl 2485 combination with gregs fc260 talk about smooth.