Heresy woofer phase

richbarrett

Type E. Used with K-22, K-55-V and K-77/K-77-M.

All 3 designs are esentially the same except for the phase reversal in the Type E and the difference in attenuation in the Type C (plus the capacitor size difference caused by that).

You could reverse the woofer phase on a Type C or D and accomplish the same thing for a little less effort.

post-2142-13819524664664_thumb.jpg

,,,it was that mod in 1975 which resulted in the Type-E crossover. The earlier type was the C.

Actually, the mod was to the Type D network. The Type D was just a capacitor change and autotransformer change from the Type C to account for the change from a 16 ohm woofer to an 8 ohm woofer. My guess is they assumed that the change in impedance at the crossover point wouldn't adversely affect the sound, then found out later that it sounder better with the phased reversed per the Type E.

,,,it was that mod in 1975 which resulted in the Type-E crossover. The earlier type was the C.

Actually, the mod was to the Type D network. The Type D was just a capacitor change and autotransformer change from the Type C to account for the change from a 16 ohm woofer to an 8 ohm woofer. My guess is they assumed that the change in impedance at the crossover point wouldn't adversely affect the sound, then found out later that it sounder better with the phased reversed per the Type E.

My H700 has a Type C network and the woofer is an SP-12B that is an 8
Ohm woofer DCR ~ 6.5). The Heresies I have have Type E networks and K-22 Woofers
that have a DCR of ~7.8 ohms. The changes made to the 3 networks had no effect on the woofer and only changed the output of the squawker and tweeter. They were not made because of a change in the woofer's impedance (the woofer inductor is 2.5 mH in all 3), but COULD have been made because the K-22 had more output than the SP-12B. The difference is very small IF the K-22 is more sensitive.

I have changed all of my Heresies to match the H700/Type C configuration. They test flatter that way.