Second attempt

Lunch sounds good to me fini... but the many delights I have found in the Exploratorium have yet to be gastronomic.

From Friday 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. this morning was spent in a wretched excess of vegetarian feasting. Something unusual for me, but since my guests were fairly strict vegetarians, Celtic artisans and Migratory Deadheads here to make a business proposition, the least I could do was indulge their palates & ears.

So eight channel Klipsches breathed live into Jerry Garcia licks... and Chieftain's concerts... the casual luncheon began with "Take-a-Leek" pizza with an outpouring of 5 liter "can" of Becks to guard against sudden attacks of "dry mouth" in mid-Guilloche display... and ended with a midnight snack w/ chianti.

For those of you who missed it on my "Brambles" restaurant menu, Take-a-Leek Pizza is a whimsical creation of what's good in the kitchen on a particular day. It starts by taking a good clean leek and cutting it into 1/8" rounds and lightly sautéing it in a commercial sized wok with companion veggies... this time it was shallots, garlic, fresh spinach, a marinated Mediterranean olive mélange and freshly fire-roasted red bells... then set aside to allow the flavors to blend.

Here's a glimpse of my first veggie version: A polenta was cooked up from freshly ground corn, embellished with fresh basil & mini Rosemary and pressed into a large rectangular "sheet-cake" pan... then liberally covered with a garlic-basil pesto... next came the layer of sautéed veggies... which were smothered with fresh shredded provolone, fontina & asiego cheeses studded with capers... with a garnish of matched skinless Roma tomato rounds... the underside of which had been coated with a mixture of olive oil and finely chopped dried herbs and gorgonzola to provide savory bursts of flavor.

Through the afternoon sessions of Klipsch-laced cultural sounds... the philosophical meanderings and venture contemplations flowed, as did the robust cup-at-time fresh ground coffee from the "push one button and enjoy" Italian coffee machine... and slices of warm fresh cut pineapple upside down cake... made of fresh ground flour mixed with fresh ground flax seed. This version featured apricots preserved in French Armagnac (favored by Elizabeth I as a protection from the plague and the forerunner of cognac).

At midnight, they were treated to a short commercial film about the InfoMart showroom that featured a 60 seat theater with a homebrew 8.1 sound system and a short haired HornEd's with a still blond beard. And then a tour-de-force of 6.1 plus front effects that was supposed to feature "Pipes & Pomp" as recommended by TheEar(s)... but although bought and paid for a week earlier... has failed to make the few hundred miles from Southern California to San Francisco. Hmm, I wonder if Boa or any of the others got theirs?

So, a quick apologetic bruchetta was toasted up from fresh-baked English sourdough contrasted with a smooth Chianti Riserva Ducale that had been waiting for just the right moment down in the cellar. Followed by an eclectic hour of Klipsch Legends, Stilton cheese, pear slices and just enough Port to balance the already ported KLF-30's.

There is nothing quite like wretched excess... especially when you promised the neighbor kids an early morning movie of their choice. They said the coffee machine was automatic... put actually you have to push this button!cwm32.gif

Since the word play heralding the gathering of mdeneen, fini, Clipped & Shorn, and HornEd has prompted a fair amount of comment... and since I cannot tell what the future holds... I thought I give a whirl about what our bellies might... as the maison de moteur Klipsch heads North. cwm4.gif -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-10-2002 at 10:14 AM

Let me shoot from the hip. I can see why people would THROW AWAY or sell for $20 at a garage sale Klipsch Heritage speakers. They are big, old-looking, heavy wood boxes that make noise and collect dust. Why keep them, they just get in the way.

I LOVE Klipsch Heritage, but can you see why there is the opportunity for those things to be had for under $50 at a garaga sale or flea-market. Imagine this:

Old dude dies. His/her children inherit the house in the will. Kids get to house and find a bunch of old crap everywhere. Throw away old cloths, furniture, ect. Find some dated stereo system with lots of glass tubes coming out of the top of it's amny pieces and big, speakers with a bunch of odd-angled wood pieces on the bottom. Turn it on, makes noise. Don't want to throw it away. They either sell it at the estate/garage sale or take it to a thrift store. Someone from this forum comes across that stereo system at a garage sale and craps their pants.

There are 300,000,000+ people in the USA, does it seem unreasionable that this happens now and then. Remember how many moms threw away baseball card collections that were worth thousands?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 03-09-2002 at 08:36 PM

Kenratboy- I was getting into the scenario you were presenting, enjoying dreaming I was the one finding those treasures, until the part about crap in the pants. It did remind me of a favorite joke, though...

Backing up (haha), that sounds like a lovely meal, HornEd! You should have your own show on the Food Network, me thinks!

fini

Sorry fini, I forgot to put in that the soiling of clothing was optional.

Don't let your dream die!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

My profound apologies, Allan. My intent was to congratulate you on the splendor and character of your sound environment... when fini's reply suggesting the wayward winos of the Klipsch Forum lunch at the Exploritorium cafeteria threw me into a gastronomic tizzy and all that came out was food related. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa...

Your 1937 Wurlitzur is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen and since I was able to hear (but not yet out of the womb) that year, has a special interest. If you ever think of parting with it, I would certainly like the opportunity of giving it a good home... for generations.

The "Old World" craftsmanship to be found in your room is "eye candy" that equals or surpasses your "ear candy"... all those bromides about a kid in a candy store have come true in your listening room. Please don't hesitate posting some additional detail shots. I mean how can we augur in on our fondest dreams without a "pin-up" for inspiration!

You can bet I will be looking for your Songer avatar on the Forum from now on. Thanks again for taking us from post to pillar. -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-10-2002 at 01:04 PM

• 4 years later...