Any other photogs here?

Thaddeus Smith

So, you like fast Nikon primes. How about this one?

(said with somewhat of a southern twang)

It don't look to me like it's moving very fast....

I just clocked it at over 2Mbps - you should check with your ISP. Youre not fooling anyone with that fake twang - real hicks dont use apostrophes.

2Mbps is slow.

post-10623-13819524879992_thumb.jpg

<snip>I shoot nikon, am a big fan of fast glass (especially primes). <snip>

So, you like fast Nikon primes. How about this one?

i just wet myself ... how is it, shooting with the unicorn of nikon glass?

I love it. I bought it cheap ($700) at a used camera store several years ago. They're going for over $3,000 on ebay now. At f1.8 it's no sharper than the $150 AF 50mm f1.8 but it's incredible wide open in low light. Pin points of light that are in focus remain as pin points instead of smears. It has a nine bladed diaphram that gives a creamy bokeh to an image so out-of-focus lights show up as soft blobs. I dont have many digital images with this lens so I shot a couple of quick images for you. Both of these were shot hand-held wide-open in a very dim room - the shutter speed was 1/30 and the camera assigned an ISO of 500.

?action=view&current=TT.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

and a Rollei 120 twin lens

Hey Mallette,

That could be a Rollei T ( T for Tessar by Carl Zeiss) 2 1/4" twin lens reflex. It'll say on the front of the lens. One of the sharpest cameras ever made - definitely a keeper - Holds it's own with a Hasselblad. A great legacy for your kids. If you're hanging on to these cameras for 20 years, here's some storage tips.

If they have leather cases, get them out and into clean boxes with a couple of pouches of silica gel. Store in a dry place. The biggest enemy of cameras is fungus growing inside the lens. Fungus
makes the cost of disassembling and cleaning the lens more costly than
the worth of the camera.

Occasionally, wind them and trip the shutter a few times at different speeds, then make sure the shutter is tripped and the winder mechanism is released before storing again. Rotate the aperture ring to keep it moving smoothly.

--- BTW --- the other posts about Angenieux lenses, Arriflex, Eclairs, CP-16s, etc - I know where there's a 16mm. Bolex EBM with an Angenieux 12-120 going cheap - oh yeah - it's got fungus on the lens - then a meathead camera tech tried to clean it, a C ring fell out inside, and scratched the inner element.

Slainte. Hamish