RW-12d fuse blowing - plz help

Homecrunch

Hello, 1st time posting here. I have an issue with my powered subwoofer. I purchased if off Craigslist for $350 (seemed like a good price). The sub worked fine when I bought it, and also when I used it at home. After a couple weeks it stopped working. I removed the fuse in the rear, and found it to be blown. I replaced it with a new slow-blow fuse. The fuse pops as soon as power is turned on. I plan to stop off at the Klipsch dealer on my way home tonight (I purchased my surrounds from them) to see what they can do for me. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

My current setup:

Denon 1609 Receiver (running 6.1 surround)

Center: RC-35, Fronts: RC-25s, Surrounds: RS-42s, Rear: RC-35, Sub: RW-12d

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 2 rt-12's and one just recently blew a fuse. I quickly
ran to radio shack and bought a four pack of recommended fuses.Welp
after frying 2 fuses right away, I knew something was wrong
internally. Just my luck, I missed the 2 year warranty by a few
months. I've bought several Klipsch systems over the years and this is
the first klipsch product that has done me wrong. I've was debating on
leaving my current system as is..since I've got one remaining
subwoofer. Anyhow, I've had time on my hand and figured i'll take it
apart and see what when wrong. Easy enough the amp comes out through
the bottom with a few screws. Help to take off the Right passive
woofer to see in innards. I've located 2 burnt ceramic disc
capacitors. Kinda upsetting, but I'm hoping someone could guide me on
my options. Long story short, Was reading on the forum about sending
in the amp and getting a replacement for around $60.00. This sounds
wonderful if true. I've sent out an email to klipsch asking for advice
on replacement parts and have yet to hear back. Guess it'll be making a
call next.

Sorry for such a long ramble, Was wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with their KT-12/10's

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Just my luck, I missed the 2 year warranty by a few months.

You might call Klipsch customer assistance and throw your self on the mercy of the court. They might assist you in some way, being that it's only a couple months out of warranty. The worst they can do is say "no".

Just an update on my RW-12d: I dropped the amp off with the dealer on 12-14-09. They will be shipping it to Klipsch - they had no idea on cost. The capasitors looked good visually, but I did notice some discoloration on a coil (not sure much about this). The amp also didnt smell burnt, so I have my fingers crossed. I will defenately post if I hear anything else...8-).

Just an update on my RW-12d: I dropped the amp off with the dealer on 12-14-09. They will be shipping it to Klipsch - they had no idea on cost. The capasitors looked good visually, but I did notice some discoloration on a coil (not sure much about this). The amp also didnt smell burnt, so I have my fingers crossed. I will defenately post if I hear anything else...8-).

Did you get any new info?

Thaddeussmith, aka "That Guy". Looks like you've got a new handle.

Oh, by the way. I called Klipsch at lunch time today and told them My name was Michael from TX. I explained that I had a loaner sub so they didn't have to be in any hurry on repairing the one I sent them. "Put it at the back of the line and fix mine when you're done with the rest of them" I believe is what I said. I didn't think you'd mind.

Happy New Year.

Carl

Ya know ..these days, i really wouldn't mind. This setup is more than capable in spite of not having a sub. It's like my photography ..in that I hardly ever pick up my camera in between gigs, which is a shame. so 2010 will be about shooting more for Michael, and enjoying the sound which was built in 2009. Less gear chasing and more enjoyment of what many consider to be impressive arsenals. :)

Ya know ..these days, i really wouldn't mind. This setup is more than capable in spite of not having a sub. It's like my photography ..in that I hardly ever pick up my camera in between gigs, which is a shame. so 2010 will be about shooting more for Michael, and enjoying the sound which was built in 2009. Less gear chasing and more enjoyment of what many consider to be impressive arsenals. :)

This statement still stands ...but i was just informed by Morgan that a package has arrived from klipsch :)