sigh

Thaddeus Smith

sold my rc-3 and rw-12 yesterday, so running in 2-channel mode with the speakers set to large until the replacements arrive. i know, woe is me ..i'm mostly just whining for whining sake. i didn't realize how much i enjoy the full 5.1 until it's not there :P

rc-7 should arrive tomorrow and the rt-10d later this week ..chomping at the bit am i.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

correct. these upgrades have put me on a minimum 6 month speaker embargo. play money or not, she's tired of the constant swapping (can't say i disagree with her). and yes, there is ample room for the center i built a sort of flexy-rack system into my cabinet, so moving some components and a few nuts is all that needed to happen. :)

speaker is great ..but now i have a big wtf. i now have a hum when using my ps3 over hdmi. everything online points to a ground loop, but this didnt exist prior to installing the rc-7. ..continues to happen when i disconnect the rc-7 wire, coax to set top box, and move various interconnect and power cables away from each other. it STOPS when I disconnect the ps3's hdmi cable, switch inputs, or pause whatever is playing on the ps3. scratching my head here, so any suggestions are welcome..

If it was fine just before you installed your new RC-7 it may be that some wires were moved either uninstalling the RC-3 or installing the RC-7. Try rearranging your wiring and see if you can improve things. If you can't improve it maybe it would be a good time to try a power conditioner.

I also started out with an RC-3 then upgraded to an RC-7, it was a very nice upgrade. The RC-7 and RF-5's are an excellent match!

agreed, which is why i'm so frustrated. power cables are all tucked away and my only pair of interconnects in the system (aside from hdmi) are plenty shielded. i'm seeing plenty of instances over on avs forum about the ps3 and ground loops ..tried all those fixes to no avail. logically, this should have been happening from day one. or at least happening across all sources. i need to get a 3 prong adapter to slap onto the ps3 and see if that fixes and maybe a coax line filter. if those don't work, i'll look into dumping cash on a line conditioner.

I was getting a hum when I grounded my phonograph to my line conditioner's ground. When I connected the phono ground to the receiver ground instead the hum went away. I don't know if this will help you in your situation, as many people don't have phonographs anymore, but thought it was worth mentioning.

i recorded the noise, which can be heard here: http://www.synapticjunctions.com/shared/hum.mp3 just to be sure that I am in fact hearing a ground loop and not something else. what aspects of the rc-7 could be potentially causing problems, that the rc-3 did not? literally nothing was moved on the back end during the speaker swap. i don't remember if this started happening before or after I re-ran audyssey ..could that be another culprit?