sigh

Thaddeus Smith

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hum in my sub...what you posted is nothing like what I hear. Mine is a low pitch, yours is a high pitch hiss. Do you hear this only when you get close to your speakers?

Now THAT sounds like a ground loop hum. A cheater plug would tell you for sure.

definitely a high freq digital hiss. I don't suppose I've ever actually heard a ground loop (and known it) ..so i didn't have a baseline for comparison. the noise becomes audible from around -30 on towards 0. in the past I could always hear slight static during input silence around -5, but that's to be expected at such volumes.

so here are the facts:
the noise is present in all 5 speakers

the noise is present from around -30 and louder (this measurement is relative to each system, but is about normal listening level on my system)
the noise only appears to be present on the ps3 input over hdmi, regardless of the hdmi input. does not exist if ps3 is off, or if on another source with ps3 on/off

the noise does not go away with a different hdmi cable

the noise appears regardless of lpcm or bitstream options on the ps3.

the noise exists with the cable box removed from the system.

the ps3 has been in place and used for upwards of 8 months in this system (with other speaker changes along the way), yet the noise began yesterday. this may be a coincidence that it happened when I installed the rc-7.

i can't locate my optical cables for additional testing, but the noise DOES NOT exist over analog rca connections from the ps3.

for reference, the rc-3 ii's sensitivity is 97dB @ 1watt/1meter and the rc-7's is 98dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter

i'm going to start hitting the ps3 forums for hiss over hdmi, but if the collective knowledge here has any other suggestions, feel free to speak up.

Sounds like you're on the right track Michael.

Now THAT sounds like a ground loop hum. A cheater plug would tell you for sure.

Guess I'm just scared of burning down my house by using one. Wink

Many amps had "lift" switches built in that eliminated the ground and ground loop hum. I've never read of a problem. I've had a cheater plug on my Behringer since it was installed around 4 years ago. I know there's been several heated threads about the merits or lack thereof on cheater plugs, and I don't want to start another one. Use or don't use what you're comfortable with.

I have a hum in my sub...what you posted is nothing like what I hear. Mine is a low pitch, yours is a high pitch hiss. Do you hear this only when you get close to your speakers?

Are you using a single cable input into your sub or do you use a Y into your sub? In the past I had a slight hum when I used a Y connector and it was not there when I just used the single cable into the sub.

i'm going to start hitting the ps3 forums for hiss over hdmi, but if the collective knowledge here has any other suggestions, feel free to speak up.

Yes I think it is just a coincedence that it started happening when you hooked up your RC-7 and that the problem is probably with the ps3

as a former IT guy, I'm pretty sharp with troubleshooting and google ..but I've found nothing close enough to my issue that isn't a ground loop. So i've sent a message to playstation support along with my sound clip and will hopefully have a solution that doesn't involve me sending in my gear. (though unlikely)

• Moderators

When I first set up the MWM/402 horns I had to use 2 Crown amps with a EV Dx38 with 4 wires from each amp to the left and right, biamped, it was a fair amount of wires and most except speaker wire were XTI which is supposedly shielded.

In a rush to listen I first had all the wires just going anyway to there connections and had a little static/hum in the mid to high frequency on the right side only. I checked the connections and when I moved one of the wires it would stop, I had to separate a couple of the wires to eliminate the hum.

I had never had that problem before with wires crossing, also power cords being separated as much as possible from other wires.

I only said this because sometimes it only takes a wire being moved couple of inches, I found out.

• Moderators

Are you using a single cable input into your sub or do you use a Y into your sub? In the past I had a slight hum when I used a Y connector and it was not there when I just used the single cable into the sub.

Currently using a Y. I'll try removing the Y to see what happens.

i've submitted the scenario + sound byte to playstation support, so not very optimistic. couldn't find my optical cables, so I just ordered another one and will see if that resolves the issue. If i recall, I only lose the 7.1 channel audio data when using the optical cable, which I don't current use..

Don't know if it is the same sound or not, I dont rememeber what it sounded like. But the PS3 has a volume setting and if that gets turned up beyond "normal" it creates a hiss/distortion. Kind of a long shot but just double check. It's happened to me without me knowing but I have a lot of drunk friends. While playing music, hit triangle and go to the little speaker logo(i think, pretty sure its "volume or sound settinjgs") and it hit x and it should bring up a little green thing to change the volume. Make sure its on normal.

And if that doesn't help, good luck!

Zach

ps3 support definitely thinks there is an issue and wants me to send in for service @ $99 (out of warranty). So i'll give the optical a shot and start saving for a ps3 slim ...no sense paying 1/3 the cost of a new one at this point. I'm just glad that a) it doesn't appear i have an impossible to find ground loop and B) sony didn't jerk me around.

Sorry to hear that, hope it only turns out to be the fuse. If the sub is in great shape except for broken grill pegs I think you made out nicely, I think some of that sellers RT-10d were missing grills altogether.Anyway hope all turns out well with a new fuse.