Onkyo 806 2.1

Carbon_66

I've been looking for an 805, but after doing some research I found that the 806 can be bridged front into a 2.1 configuration. I listen to more music than watching t/v so this feature may sway me. I know the 805 is touted as having a better amplifier section, but can I run 2 channel and a sub with it? This will be driving Cornwalls.

Greg

I've been looking for an 805, but after doing some research I found that the 806 can be bridged front into a 2.1 configuration. I listen to more music than watching t/v so this feature may sway me. I know the 805 is touted as having a better amplifier section, but can I run 2 channel and a sub with it? This will be driving Cornwalls.

Greg

That 806 Looks like a Great Home Theater Receiver.

TX-SR806-B-F.jpg

But it seems you are looking for 2.1? If that's the case, I would look at Outlaw Stereo Receiver for about the same price, it has great reviews.

2150Per.jpg Here is the link ----------> CLICK HERE

Also, you say "it can be bridged front into a 2.1 Config". I did not see that it can be "bridged", but it can be Bi-amped, which is not the same as bridged.

Dennie

For music I'd highly suggest looking elsewhere than Onkyo. I had an 805 for a while. It was awesome for home theater but sucked the big one for music. Everything sounded like it was in mono, virtually no stereo separation.

Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Harman/Kardon would be better choices in my opinion. The Outlaw receiver Dennie posted would be excellent, as well as a Harman/Kardon HK3480 or HK3490. You're better off getting something other than a full-fledged surround-sound receiver if you're not going to do surround-sound.

For music I'd highly suggest looking elsewhere than Onkyo. I had an 805 for a while. It was awesome for home theater but sucked the big one for music. Everything sounded like it was in mono, virtually no stereo separation.

Wuzzzer,

Those are harsh words for Onkyo. My 705 and B&K combo sound great for HT and stereo. Your 805 has/had a better preamp section than the 705, maybe with your Emo added you might just change your mind(I guess you will never know). LOL

But really, you have to buy the upper level Onkyo's to get the better DAC's and power supplies. Find a used 905 or 906 if you want Onkyo.

Bill

I agree with wuzzer if 2 ch is what you're looking at look else were than the onkyo, I too had an 805 and was not pleased with it's 2ch performance, Home theatre it was great.

As far as willand has said, I'm not sure what he's talking about as the 805 has great DAC's in fact the same DACs that are in the 905, Burr Brown PCM 1796A to be exact. The 906 no longer used Burr Brown DAC but instead the Cirrus DAC's which are still good but are said to be less ideal to the Burr Brown.

The Onkyo's are great multichannel recievers, but if you read around here many of us have traded our 805's in for other for better 2 channel performance.

Just off hand there is myself, wuzzer and youthman who traded in.

But really, you have to buy the upper level Onkyo's to get the better DAC's, power supplies, and toroidal transformer. Find a used 905 or 906 if you want Onkyo.

Bill

I changed my comment to make it clear what I was trying to say(better DAC's,power supplies,toroidal transformer together in one unit). Sorry about the confusion.

Bill

wuzzzer,

Those are harsh words for Onkyo. My 705 and B&K combo sound great for HT and stereo. Your 805 has/had a better preamp section than the 705, maybe with your Emo added you might just change your mind(I guess you will never know). LOL

But really, you have to buy the upper level Onkyo's to get the better DAC's and power supplies. Find a used 905 or 906 if you want Onkyo.

Bill

At the time I didn't know if an outboard amp would help the stereo performance of the Onkyo. I heard enough people comment on the musicality of Marantz receivers so I decide to jump the Onkyo ship and I'm glad I did. Too bad that the Onkyo has such a killer amp section - an external amp almost seems like a waste with something like an 805!

Wuzzzer,

I was just messing with you. Many members on the forum have expressed the same opinion about the Onkyo 2-channel performance. I just wanted to say that stereo listening on my system dramatically improved when I added my B&K amp and then even better when I added the DV-SP1000 player. "Sucked" is a word usually set aside for Bose products. No offense to Bose lovers on this forum. LOL.

Bill

PS

For what it's worth, of all the systems I have at home, the Marantz 2252b/ Quartet or Forte combo sounds the best.