Crites mods, add value, better SQ or both?

Gregg357

Do the Bob Crites mods get reflected in resale values? I think we can agree they positively affect the sound from the speakers. However, I haven't seen the modifications reflected in some of the asking prices here, on CL, or on Ebay. I made the mods to a pair of HII's I got cheap at an estate sale and they sound great. I've heard similar comments from others that have made the mods, but haven't seen those units going for higher prices. With that said I don't see alot of them in the marketplace and maybe that goes to show that once modified owners don't want to let them go. Just curious.

My impression is that few folks are willing to pay any real premium for any upgrades. Unless you are already into upgrading these speakers because you already KNOW what the changes mean, the average person isn't interested in paying more for the upgrade. I have noticed that few upgrades sell for anywhere near what we pay to get them done. It is just the nature of the beast. We are willing to pay to change horns, crossovers, drivers etc because we love the journey and we generally are constantly trying to make 'improvements'.

Most people are not as crazy as we are!

Guest David H

Most people are not as crazy as we are!

They are still crazy, I had one customer ask me if I would remove the Crites crossover upgrade, because he wanted to hear the speaker all stock.

Crites crossovers and tweeters would usually add value for forum members.

People buying Heritage for the first time to whom the world of Crites is not known, are often more comfortable with stock. (even though it's worn out)

Some folks, if planning to resell their speakers at some time, will choose a new crites crossover to save the factory crossover for resale. I don't know if it would end up making any real difference in the net, though.

On the few pairs of Heresy's that I have sold on eBay that had Bob's crossovers and/or caps, I always made sure that the prospective buyers knew that (a) old caps in any Heritage series older than about 15 years were shot, and (B) go to the Klipsch Forum and review why they are shot and why new caps from Bob are the way to go. Usually that solved the problem.

To some degree one can have a higher resale price with "mods", but generally unless it's Bob, DeanG, ALK, or Budman, etc. it's "iffy".... except on the Forum. Case in point are Fender's Khorns. To the Forum member it's a no brainer!!! Whatta' Deal!!; but if Fender has to resort to eBay or CL (hopefully not...), he will at that point likely put in the AK3's and sell the ALK's seperate on the Forum. You have to sell to the audience.

Unfortunately, unless it's the Forum, most "mods" fall in the "casting pearls before swine" category.... Shame, but you cannot edumacate most folks in the unwashed masses that inhabit eBay, etc.

Thanks guys. Pretty much what I assumed. I'm not in this to make dough. I upgraded a set of HII's with the xovers and Ti's from Crites. I kept the original xovers for the reasons mentioned above but tossed them last week. Got tired of looking at them. If I move the HII's someone will be very happy. I've got two more pair of Ti's and have yet to decide if they will go in my Quartets, Chorus II's, or CW II's. Too make it easier, I'll most likely just order another pair. I like the thought of brand new everything in the xover vs just new caps, but it sure does delay the upgrade process.

Do the Bob Crites mods get reflected in resale values? I think we can agree they positively affect the sound from the speakers. However, I haven't seen the modifications reflected in some of the asking prices here, on CL, or on Ebay.

I agree, I have bought and sold many different klipsch speakers over the years and it seems that I almost "NEVER" get back the upgrade costs. I know the upgrades sound better and plot better but I think for some it actually makes the Heritage line loose its heritage.

Greg, IMHO ever change you make from original shrinks the potential buying market unless, original equipment (crossovers, drivers etc.) is sold along with the set so buyers can do thier own A/B. When doing this I have seen a slight increase in selling cost.

Thanks guys. Pretty much what I assumed. I'm not in this to make dough. I upgraded a set of HII's with the xovers and Ti's from Crites. I kept the original xovers for the reasons mentioned above but tossed them last week. Got tired of looking at them. If I move the HII's someone will be very happy. I've got two more pair of Ti's and have yet to decide if they will go in my Quartets, Chorus II's, or CW II's. Too make it easier, I'll most likely just order another pair. I like the thought of brand new everything in the xover vs just new caps, but it sure does delay the upgrade process.

Don't throw away old crossovers!! I sold my Forte II crossovers for $50+- on eBay when I replaced with with Bob's. They're always worth something!