New Titanium Tweeter Diapraghm Break In ?

ka7niq

"I like that. DJK's recommendtion for soldering those has been very good for my diaphragm selling business. "

That issue was raised in one of my original posts on the subject.

Seems like most people can't solder, another issue being the use of 12ga zip cord to replace the original wire.

Perhaps my tagline from DIYaudio is appropriate here:

Candidates for the Darwin Award should not read this author.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I like that. DJK's recommendtion for soldering those has been very good for my diaphragm selling business. "

Seems like most people can't solder, another issue being the use of 12ga zip cord to replace the original wire.

I think I can solder the tweeter connection terminals w/o melting the diapraghm plastic.

I was eyeballing it, and could see where one might be careful not to melt anything.

I will remove the push on connector first from the crossovers wire, tin that wire, I dont forsee any problems.

Am I missing something ?

Of course, this will "kill resale" of the titanium diapraghms, but I did not order them with any thought of re sale.

If I ultimately decide not to keep the cornwall 2's, the titanium diapraghms will go with them, along with the stock diapraghms.

Is there ANY better diapraghms for the cornwall 2 midrange then stock anyone has played with ?

BTW, the Cornwall 2's are souding pretty good watching the Florida vs Cincinnatti Sugar Bowl Football game.

The Tuba's in the Florida marching band were very well reproduced.

Of course any audiophile will think he can do that soldering. Perhaps he can. But, he should make a resolution to:

1. Keep that set of speakers forever..... or

2. Fully qualify the next owner as a "Non Darwin Award Candidate" and insure that the next owner knows that what used to be a simple job to remove the crossovers for repair will not be a simple job any more unless he can solder.

Bob Crites

Of course any audiophile will think he can do that soldering. Perhaps he can. But, he should make a resolution to:

2. Fully qualify the next owner as a "Non Darwin Award Candidate" and insure that the next owner knows that what used to be a simple job to remove the crossovers for repair will not be a simple job any more unless he can solder.

Bob Crites

I well remember my first attempts to solder "small things that hang out around Klipsch speakers......" It was. shall we say, religious in nature.... I have this now firmly carved on my forehead (backwards so I can read it in the mirror when I cry alot...).

"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do."... "O wretched man that I am ! who shall deliver me from the body of this death ? " Romans 7:19,24,25

Needless to say.... I have spent much time practicing..... I was so bad at soldering that for three years I sent all crossovers to Bob.... Only lately have I "ventured" into the arena of replacing my own caps.... And!!!! only real simple ones like Heresy and Cornwall Type B's....

An example of what my early attempts looked like....

bias_failure.jpg

If you all get on the Audio Asylum (high effiency) Forum today,,You will see the Tannoy Westminster Royal...Up in the state of Washington,,,Then you can throw your titanium tweets in the trash can,,, And not pussyfoot around with toy speakers..

If you all get on the Audio Asylum (high effiency) Forum today,,You will see the Tannoy Westminster Royal...Up in the state of Washington,,,Then you can throw your titanium tweets in the trash can,,, And not pussyfoot around with toy speakers..

Here is a thread on Audio Gon about them http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1125898780&read&keyw&zztannoy

They are big and heavy.

I have owned several pair of really large speakers over the years, VMPS Wide Range Ribbons, Super Towers, RM 40's, Fulton Premiers, Acoustst 8's, to name a few.

ALL the above I thought sucked, but I forgive the Acoustat 8's, because my room was too small.

I donated them to the Pacific Northwest Audio Society in Seattle.

A large speaker takes an act of God to move, much less SELL.

I think this psychologically forces you to "like them", LOL

The Tannoys are a 2 way concentric.

I have never heard the Westminister Royal, would sure like to.

"Of course any audiophile will think he can do that soldering. Perhaps he can. But, he should make a resolution to:

2. Fully qualify the next owner as a "Non Darwin Award Candidate" and insure that the next owner knows that what used to be a simple job to remove the crossovers for repair will not be a simple job any more unless he can solder."

I have recently come to the realization that nobody has soldering skills.

I work at a military-industrial type aerospace firm. To be allowed to solder you have to take a week-long course, get recertified every three months, and have one repair checked by the inspector every day. Even with these extreme measures we have lots of scrap. Some of these people have been soldering for 25+ years (and still can't do it properly). A while back I got busted for soldering on a unit. The inspector caught me because the workmanship was too good to have been done by the person that submitted the unit for inspection.

Having said all this, it does sound better to cut off the push-on connectors and solder the stock wire directly to the driver, but there is a high probability that you will be buying a replacement diaphragm, push-on connectors, and a crimping tool.

"Of course any audiophile will think he can do that soldering. Perhaps he can. But, he should make a resolution to:

2. Fully qualify the next owner as a "Non Darwin Award Candidate" and insure that the next owner knows that what used to be a simple job to remove the crossovers for repair will not be a simple job any more unless he can solder."

I have recently come to the realization that nobody has soldering skills.

I work at a military-industrial type aerospace firm. To be allowed to solder you have to take a week-long course, get recertified every three months, and have one repair checked by the inspector every day. Even with these extreme measures we have lots of scrap. Some of these people have been soldering for 25+ years (and still can't do it properly). A while back I got busted for soldering on a unit. The inspector caught me because the workmanship was too good to have been done by the person that submitted the unit for inspection.

Having said all this, it does sound better to cut off the push-on connectors and solder the stock wire directly to the driver, but there is a high probability that you will be buying a replacement diaphragm, push-on connectors, and a crimping tool.

I can easily spend 60 dollars at a bar, and IF I "cook" the diapraghms, so be it.

The 60 dollars for new diapraghms will be cheap, compared to the gall stones caused by me biting my nails ?

Ka7niq is my Ham Radio Callsign, I am no stranger to a soldering iron, although my eyes are not what they once were.

Perhaps a heat sink would be a good idea ?

And ideas for a heat sink guys ?

How about an alligator clip behind the solder joint on the diapraghm terminals with some copper braid wire attached ?

I can see where it is all too easy to melt the plastic.

Welllll,,,, I didnt ask you to carry them around,,On your back,, I dont think you,d be happy with any speaker for long,, I hav,nt found any speaker that compaire with live music,,, Close but,,a bullet wizzing past your ear is close,,, So what direction are you going to spit??

Welllll,,,, I didnt ask you to carry them around,,On your back,, I dont think you,d be happy with any speaker for long,, I hav,nt found any speaker that compaire with live music,,, Close but,,a bullet wizzing past your ear is close,,, So what direction are you going to spit??

Horn Zak, do you remember Cabasse ?

They had an interesting demo performed with a Paris Orchestra where one of their speakers actually played the part of a violin during a performance.

The problem I see with reproducing the sound of live music in OUR rooms is this.

Our rooms impart a different sonic signature to what we remember hearing the live music.

A Trumpet sounds different outdoors, then in a room, and sounds different in different rooms.

A live trumpet in the same room radiates different then the the same trumpet played on a speaker,'

Maybe that is why you like Tannoys Horn Zack, because the 15 inch driver is very directional as it plays higher in frequency .

This lessens room interaction, and gives wild and wondorous imaging.

My old Quad 57's, in the sweet spot, could sound very nice, on some material.

Roger sanders actually invented the curved electrostatic, and abandoned it for narrow dispersion.

BTW, off hand, do you know what frequency the tannoy tweeter comes in at ?

How far up in frequency is Tannoy asking that 15 inch cone to play ?

Oh sheet, Horn Zap, that Annoy, I mean Tannoy Tweeter is playing ALL the way from 1000hz UP !!!

That is a LOT of frequency range Horn Zak.

I happened across a review of these, and one owner was bitching that the speaker cone was slapping up against the cabinet!

Can we say "running out of horsepower" ????

Hold on tight Horn Zap , I will go fetch it, ok ?

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/gadgetsViewOpinions/The-Tannoy-Westminster-Royal-SE-Loudspeakers-6058.html

And, get THIS Maron, Iron core Inductors, instead of air core, in a speaker this expensive ???

WTF ???

I would like to see a distortion spec of them Maron, at different drive levels, and I can't help but wonder what the moving woofer diapraghm is doing to the radiation pattern of the tweeter either as it moves ?

Perhaps the tweeter waveguide "takes care" of it ?

I sure hope so, since the tweeter is playing from 1K up!

How about an alligator clip behind the solder joint on the diapraghm terminals with some copper braid wire attached ?

Go to Radio Shack and get a soldering accessory kit, which includes an aluminum heatsink. It works very well as I learned when I went to remove it immediately after soldering a new cap. As John Lennon said, " I got blisters on my fingers!"

It's funny about the phase problem. I spent three months converting a pair of Cornwalls to Cornscalas and when I hooked them up they sounded like s**t. Man was I bummed.

My 5 year old grandson loves to fiddle with my preamp and he walked over and flipped the phase switch to 180 and suddenly the mono Frank Sinatra album moved to the middle of the soundstage. It seems I had connected one of inputs backwards on the crossover, the very last connection I made. Boy did I feel dumb!

Herb

Go to Radio Shack and get a soldering accessory kit, which includes an aluminum heatsink. It works very well as I learned when I went to remove it immediately after soldering a new cap. As John Lennon said, " I got blisters on my fingers!"

It's funny about the phase problem. I spent three months converting a pair of Cornwalls to Cornscalas and when I hooked them up they sounded like s**t. Man was I bummed.

My 5 year old grandson loves to fiddle with my preamp and he walked over and flipped the phase switch to 180 and suddenly the mono Frank Sinatra album moved to the middle of the soundstage. It seems I had connected one of inputs backwards on the crossover, the very last connection I made. Boy did I feel dumb!

Herb

I will check out the soldering accessories kit, thanks for the tip.

Ka7nig,,,The woofer of the Westy,,,is an extreem curveliner shape,,with spoke supports on the back side of cone,,It go,s smoothly up to 1000,,without breakup,,The HF unit has a dispersion of 90%.. Of course you can drive any cone out of its gap,,Ive done it myself,, Well some listening tests with live music,,and speaker on stage have been done,,Bell Labs did this many years ago,, In fact i have heard this kind of comparison myself,,With small groups things were very close,,,But large orchestras did do better,, With speaker not even close... So like I asked before what direction are you going to fart??

So like I asked before what direction are you going to fart??

I think this review kinda says it all http://gadgets.softpedia.com/gadgetsViewOpinions/The-Tannoy-Westminster-Royal-SE-Loudspeakers-6058.html

Sorry, Horn Zap, cones slapping against the enclosure are inexcusable in a speaker at this price point IMHO, as are the iron core vs air core coils, and a tweeter covering from 1000 hz clear up to 20k !

But Horn Zap, maybe after your "senior discount" on the Tannoys, the price/performance ratio may be more acceptable, LOL

Have another drink,,maybe the voices will go away.

I just finished off the Zinfandel and the voices are still present. They are now loud and confusing.... Screaming all kinds of weird stuff....

and the loudest voice is asking.....

The Fox ranch.....

Is it what I think or is my agile overmedicated brain just leaping to conclusions.....

[H]

Yes i love my senior discounts,, At the FOX ranch in Las Vegas,,

LOL, Horn Zap, at age 72 I seriously doubt you will be shopping the Fox ranch, LOL

Plus, your senior discount is no good there anyway.

They always charge old geezers like you more, cause it takes twice as long trying to get old geezers like you to be "cooperative", IF you still can, LOL

My advice Horn Zap ?

Save the senior discount for your kosher corned beef sandwiches, and your grandkids Bar Mitzvah, maybe even take a trip to Jerusaluem on the "senior special", and see your ancestors ?

Oh, wait a minute, Horonzak, it that a Polish Kosher Eater [:^)]

Hey, speaking of "Farting and Spitting", that was not nice of you, especially after I actually stuck up for you the other day.

I got an email warning me about you, it said you liked "poop sandwiches" Maron ?

I said that can't be true, becase Maron is allergic to bread !!!

Remember that was the SE version not the Westy HE versions,,,

Maybe they solved the cone slapping problem ?

Tannoy's don't interest me a whole lot.

Just because some reviewer in Seattle proclaims them as the second coming means nothing to me.

If I could get a pair off craigslist cheap, then maybe ?

Plenty of old audiophiles unfortunately dying here in Florida, and Tannoys and everything else pops up for sale here in Florida eventually.

Just missed some Altec Model 19's, sold at an estate sale in Tampa for 200.00 Maron !!!!

I offered em 500 cash, on the spot, but they were honorable people, and said no.