New AMP time!

Yawnny

Hey there guys, I'm now officially in the market for a new amp and would love to hear some of your suggestions.

Currently I have a Sony STR-DG720 (it was nice and cheap), which works fairly well.. but now I want bigger, fuller sound :)

Im running 2 RB-61's as my mains, an RC-52 center, Cinema6 sats for my surrounds (Ill upgrade the surrounds later as well)..and a not so great Jamo sub. The amps Ive been looking at are the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K (one of Cnets top picks).. or do I spend even more money and get the Yamaha RX-V1900? wiill I notice a huge difference upgrading my amp? I'm still somewhat of a home theater noob, but I'm really trying to learn, and from my research an upgraded amp will be a failry nice Improvement. (any other thoughts on AMPs I could buy would be great My budget is up to $1500 CAN)

What are you guys's thoughts? thanks

As far as bang for the buck, you will not do much better than the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K.

I bought and still have the same version you are looking at in 2004 (Thus, model VSX-1014) and have no regrets. As far as performance,a $100 or $200 more expensive amp won't get you anything above the amp you are looking at. I think you need to get into the $1,000(s) category amp to hear any differences. FYI, the only reason I will upgrade is when I require different types and/or more inputs/outputs than I already have.

i too was looking at the 1019, however you should be aware that the 1019 does not have preouts, just in case you want to add an amp down the road.

you should also consider the pioneer elite vsx-21txh or 23txh, which is a step up to the 1019 and have preouts. they are roughly $100-$200 more than the 1019

Alright, The Onkyo TX-SR876 is now sitting at a very reasonable $1200 at London Drugs, and am thinking I should pick this one up tonigh :)would this be a good idea? The majority of review I've read have been solid, so seems like a good buy.

Of course then there's the Onkyo TXNR1007B, which is a touch more expensive :P Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

• Moderators

Does Emotiva ship to Canada ?

There processor and 200 wpc 5 channel amp is $1500 if you thought about seperates, just another idea roughly in that price range.

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

Or if you need 7 channels but at 125 real watts not ( normally overated ) reciever watts.

http://emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

No I dont make commission or work there, but they have very good reviews.

• Moderators

wow...with $1,200 to play with, you sure got lots of choices.

what a headache, though one i very much like to have. Cool

Me to that's a headache I would want.

I see the Emotiva is not shipping until Feb...... But I think it would be worth the wait. IMO

I agree with Dtel. Emotiva is a good way to go. But if you want to go with a reciever, Jake123 is right about the Yamaha. They make a product that is good for both music and movies. I would guess Marantz has it all but for a price.But I don't know what is offered up north. Good luck brother.