Bass bins for KP250's

CECAA850

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet.... I can't wait to hear your impressions on them when you get them outside and let em rip!

As soon as the weather turns around, it'll happen. The closest thing I've done so far is to open the garage door and let them breath a little. It was about 8:00 at night, so I couldn't get too crazy for too long. I walked down to the end of my driveway which is about 150+ (?) ft from the garage and they were loud and clear as a bell at the street. Enough so that I hurried back to the garage to turn them down. It sounded like Nickelback was paying me a visit.

• Moderators

Oh wow....that's what I'm talkin about!Wink

The speaker or the legs????Stick out tongue

She loves speakers, but I don't think she was talking about speakers. [:D]

On to something less hairy, How did you wire the bass bins, does it go through the crossover ?

I bet that sounds great, Heresy's are nice and clear and the KP 250's are even tougher, add that extra bass especially for outside and it's got to be really good.

On to something less hairy, How did you wire the bass bins, does it go through the crossover ?

I bought one of the Emotiva pre-amps when they were on sale. It has an adjustable high and low pass filters on the back of it. The signal goes from a source to the pre-amp. The pre-amp divides the signal for the mains and the sub. The subwoofer output allows me to adjust the upper frequency that I want it to play, in my case, I'm using roughly 90 Hz at the moment. That signal goes to the subwoofer amp, which is a Behringer EP-4000. The Behringer has a selectable filter with 30 or 50 Hz cut off. I chose 30 Hz, so the sub gets everything in the 30 to 90 Hz range. The pre-amp cuts off the highs and the sub amp cuts off the really low stuff. It's similar on the mains. The signal goes from the source to the pre-amp. The adjustable filter on the mains output lets me select the lowest frequency I want to send to the mains. I chose 50 Hz, so everything from 50 Hz on up goes to the QSC amp and then to the KP-250's. The speakers and sub overlap the 50 to 90 Hz range. That's what sounded best when I fired it up, but I just can't stand to leave things alone, so I'm sure I'll be tweeking it as time goes on. Hope this makes sense.

• Moderators

Hope this makes sense.

Yes I had feeling it was something like that, a low pass setup, that makes it a whole lot better when you don't have to mess with the original crossover, very nice.

The more I think about it that is one tough setup with the KP250's and commercial sub drivers, a lot less worry about over driving. But just to be safe maby a couple of fuses might be a good idea (if the KP's don't already have them), just in case someone plays with the volume at a party or something.

Nice build! What in the world is that speaker box you're trying to crawl in????????????????

I was actually tie wrapping the driver harness up out of the way so you couldn't see wires hanging down in the port. My son thought it looked funny and snapped a pic. I built that system for my sons GMC mini-van. It's four 18" Ficaraudio drivers that I powered with a 3000 watt Sundown audio amp. It's scary loud. I've been in it when it measured 150 dB @ 34 Hz on a calibrated termlab. When you try to talk, your voice flutters like your talking into a fan. It actually fit behind the second row of seats.

post-15193-13819526839514_thumb.jpg

But just to be safe maby a couple of fuses might be a good idea (if the KP's don't already have them), just in case someone plays with the volume at a party or something.

I'll look but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing fuse holders on back. I can't imagine how loud it would have to be to blow one.

But just to be safe maby a couple of fuses might be a good idea (if the KP's don't already have them), just in case someone plays with the volume at a party or something.

I'll look but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing fuse holders on back. I can't imagine how loud it would have to be to blow one.

Ben has rocked mine loud enough (outdoors) to pop em! Using a QSC 1400 I believe- 300 wpc. Probably 1.5 or 2 amp fuses. Rock on Ben!

M

Ben has rocked mine loud enough (outdoors) to pop em! Using a QSC 1400 I believe- 300 wpc. Probably 1.5 or 2 amp fuses. Rock on Ben!

I think that was just the high frequency fuse? Or does the KP250 only have one?

I tried to increase the level of a miked ukele as it was totaly lost by the onslaught of the rest of the band ... should've went and moved the mike and ukele player back further but didn't want to get in the way of the band as they were doing really well. Anyway microphone with too much gain too close to mains = feedback. Nasty little squeal. [:S] Quickly backed the ukele gain back down to safer levels. Might not have been much room to move him back. (Small acoustic stage my arse... had up to 5 member bands with pretty big piles of equipment)

And I thought blowing a fuse was a bad thing? Michael's first reaction was a high five. [H] Naturally Michael had spare fuses in the amp case or somewhere easy to find. That was a fun (but exhausting) day.

Yes they could play plenty loud and Michael's QSC 1400 had gobs of power to spare. Sounded VERY good with no real bass. Admittedly kind of puny compared to Michaels Motengators, KP682 subs, KP362s, and K69 on a huge JBL horn driven by a few kilowatts of Crown amplification accross the park. But no problem with say an acoustic guitar or two and vocals. Or a keyboad and vocals. "... anvil ...". And did pretty well on vocals in front of a band cranking away

As Michael as often warned READ THE $%&@#$ MANUAL as the Klipsch pro stuff shipped with something crazy like 20 amp fuses. Makes sense if flown at the ceiling to put the fuse ahead of the speaker.

I'm humbled by comparison... I think Michael says he blows at least one or two fuses per gig. ROCK ON Michael (note sure I want to know how load those peaks are. [:o]

Nice build! What in the world is that speaker box you're trying to crawl in????????????????

I was actually tie wrapping the driver harness up out of the way so you couldn't see wires hanging down in the port. My son thought it looked funny and snapped a pic. I built that system for my sons GMC mini-van. It's four 18" Ficaraudio drivers that I powered with a 3000 watt Sundown audio amp. It's scary loud. I've been in it when it measured 150 dB @ 34 Hz on a calibrated termlab. When you try to talk, your voice flutters like your talking into a fan. It actually fit behind the second row of seats.

In a mini van.................That's just not right. LOL I'll have to call you when I find my copper Avalanche to covert to a horn loaded truck.

I've been in it when it measured 150 dB @ 34 Hz on a calibrated termlab. When you try to talk, your voice flutters like your talking into a fan. It actually fit behind the second row of seats.

I love the Darth Vader voice... of course with earplugs in. [:D]

Last year, they were advertising an SPL comp in the city... so I figured, why the hell not. I bashed together a box for the Honda... single 12" TC3000 in a ported sonotube, 1kw of amp and stock electrical. Didn't do bad at all... 2nd place in the power class, and the only one with a single driver, a 12" to boot.