10 #'s in 5# Bucket

CIGARBUM

As you can see from the attached pictures, I will attempt to put 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bucket. I'm not sure if I need to raise the bridge or lower the river.

Anyway, these are a 260HZ horn with a JBL 2446 driver, tweeter will be Beyma CP-25, crossover will be universal.

Anyone have any conjecture of how these may sound when complete???

One of my main concerns is that I will be able to return my Southern Belles to original if need be. They have the no longer available brownish grill cloth and laser ID badge, 1974.

As always, comments and opinions are appreciated.

post-32367-1381952704199_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the attached pictures, I will attempt to put 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bucket. I'm not sure if I need to raise the bridge or lower the river.

Anyway, these are a 260HZ horn with a JBL 2446 driver, tweeter will be Beyma CP-25, crossover will be universal.

Anyone have any conjecture of how these may sound when complete???

One of my main concerns is that I will be able to return my Southern Belles to original if need be. They have the no longer available brownish grill cloth and laser ID badge, 1974.

As always, comments and opinions are appreciated.

"They have the no longer available brownish grill cloth"

Bob,

I got some brown grill cloth from Klipsch to match my old '73 Cornwalls with my new '75 Cornwalls. I never used it.

Will look in storage to check its condition. It was rolled in plastic the last time I saw it. Your Bell's might be a little faded, so if there is enough you could replace the bottom LF section as well. You are welcome to it, if you like.

tc

How about building some taller side panels for the top section, veneer them and stain to match the original colors. Save the old side panels to go back to original. You could increase the side high enough to put the beyma on top of the 260 hz horn or build a top dog house box just for the tweeter. Either way you need to build some taller side panels and match the finish. your finished height will be close to a Khorn.

I forgot the last part. Take your lower grills out and store, build new grill frames and use the black cloth from Bob crites to cover the upper and lower. It's not very hard to build new frames for the bottom. I did it in a few hours for mine, then painted them and covered them a few days later. This is a little more expense and work but they do come out nice.

Let me see what IBSlammin has after he checks his stasch. I wouldn't mind going to the black, I already have several yards from Bob, how do you remove the existing grills?

Al, I never knew that listing to good audio for extended periods could cause hemorrhoids.

CigarBum

Wow Bob. You are getting serious.

Are you gonna put the tweeter in a little box on top.

BTW.....I am only going to assume that you will have another gathering this spring[:o]....right? I want to hear all this stuff.

jc

JC, Ya, some sort of little tweeter box. When we get a little closer to some nice weather, I would like to host a get together, all that want to attend, sleep overs are welcome, bring test equipment, also need to know what food and drink requirements are.

CB

........"also need to know what food and drink requirements"......

Be prepaired. Dr. Cullison can put away some groceries. I have seen him devour 60 hot wings, half a large pizza, and go outside to eat the a$$ of a road kill. Drinks would be spring water only.[;)]

"Maybe some of your guests could bring along their favorite tube amp??Or even better, a pair of ALK's networks!"

I'm going to make a suggestion here. The Belle woofer goes up to 700 Hz with little trouble, and that big driver and horn will probably make it down to 300 Hz. That will be a HUGE overlap if you are thinking of my Universal network. The Universal depend on the horns to do the actual crossover. With
that combination of horns, you won't have a crossover at all! I would start with the AP12-350, which is 2nd order, at least.

Al K.

"Maybe some of your guests could bring along their favorite tube amp??Or even better, a pair of ALK's networks!"

I'm going to make a suggestion here. The Belle woofer goes up to 700 Hz with little trouble, and that big driver and horn will probably make it down to 300 Hz. That will be a HUGE overlap if you are thinking of my Universal network. The Universal depend on the horns to do the actual crossover. With that combination of horns, you won't have a crossover at all! I would start with the AP12-350, which is 2nd order, at least.

Al K.

Al. I have an ESN700 I can take over there and he can use the universal with it to try something different.

Bob......Let's do that. Give me some heads up. I can bring some crude RTA test equipment too.

Oh...and I've been known to put down the food......my metabolism ain't right.

TC...Maybe we can rent an RV and park it right in Bob's front yard[;)]

jc

The ES700 puts the crossover at the extreme high end of the Belle woofers range and doesn't give that big squawker horn a chance to do it's thing, but it's ok to test out the speaker and won't give you the combing you would get with a 1st order network like the Universal.If it was my speaker, I would ultimately go for the ES400 intended for the Khorn.

Al K.

The grills have set screws/bolts that come in through the bottom and top. If you tip the speaker over you will see them going up through the bottom. After you take off the top part you should see the bolts going down to the top edge of the grills. When I got mine they had been cut off and the grills replace with a flat grill frame. That is why I had to build new ones. I made mine tight enough that they are just wedged in there for now. I may replace the set bolts once I refinish the whole speaker. I know I've read on the forum where people have given instructions on how to get them out. Maybe it was Groomslake. With your wood working skills I think it would be an easy project for you.

Again, I am not sure which will give me the best sound,but another option would be to use (which I have) Al's trachorn with the GPA902-16 or I have a pair of JBL 2470. The original idea may be just a little much, akin to putting a 427 in a SmartCar, may look in teresting but not very practical.

CB