4 CornWalls ===> Conversion To Cornscala's a build log !

ZombieWoof

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wired up for sound & I am testing as I type , how they sound ////

better way better than stock did !

the backs are still off & the Bass still sounds good

the backs have a problem .. I added an 1" of MDFwith a 1/4" oak plywood to the stock backs WELL the 34 year old plywood back curved on me

The backs now stick out about a 1/2" in the centers when attached everyone of them has done it evenly to all ..... seems the wood adhesive I used added moisture to the dry 34 year old plywood & it swelled ... bummed But then agin the only set back I have had ,soo I feel that it's a small one .

post-41965-13819541048692_thumb.jpg

post-41965-13819568362932_thumb.jpg

post-41965-13819569453814_thumb.jpg

SOOO instead of trying to wait it out on the swelling ,forcing braces across the backs to pull the curve out ,I'm gonna cut new backs outta 3/4 plywood one being an oak veneer 3/4" use a construction adhesives,with a 1/8"knoch spreader & Not a wood glue this time around

screw evenly from the inside to hold the 2 peices together & have Flat backs

I gonna do it right !

I'll let the new crossovers burn & install the new backs before I make any claims ... But i am Jazzzzed !

I installed the warped backs & they are 1/4" off (bowed out ) directly in the center sooo I tacked the on on the corners with long screws & did some testing

W0W ! ..........................................testing will contine........ the base response is Jaw dropping REALLY Jaw Dropping !

as is the detail,clearity ,depth,seperation of instruments & lack of going mushy with the details,seperation & clearity at extreme Volumes

Jazzed still............

the wife was mad during testing (to be expected ! )

& that's a good sign in it's self ....

but she did say while I had turned on American Idol on for JUST for her "They really sound Great Now , Ya did good Mike " as if U know my wife that's a huge completment !

now on to the other speakers grills will come last thing I do on them

but she did say while I had turned on American Idol on for JUST for her "They really sound Great Now , Ya did good Mike " as if U know my wife that's a huge completment !

Some of that American Idol was painful to listen to over the RF's, so I just turned off the surround and listened to it over the TV speakers. LOL...................Are you going to run any actual tests on the speakers to see how the work that you did, affected the curves?

Some of that American Idol was painful to listen to over the RF's, so I just turned off the surround and listened to it over the TV speakers. LOL...................Are you going to run any actual tests on the speakers to see how the work that you did, affected the curves?

i wish i could but not doing it before & now after(I just don't have the hardware or software) all I can go by is my ears & I've been a Klipsch Heritage fanatic since 1976 & those Cornwalls NEVER sounded that good in all points I made above

detail & seperation of instruments did not conbine into mush as volume levels rose & rise they did, as I had things come falling off the livingroom shelves left & right ........... the dogs ran tor the back yard

Bob's cast woofs really go LOW .........way low over the stock woofs & those woofs in the Cornwalls were the famous K33E's with the square magnets

• 3 weeks later...

OK Now I'm on to the grills pix starting tomorrow ...had to finish up the 3 CS-1's ==> a Hersey 2 way made a custum cab for the center

used some Hersey's cab's for the other two CS-1's

testing has gone fantastic with the 4 Cornscala's ! I love the sound ! Bass responseis now Jaw dropping ! Even got the WAF approvale ( she was pissed I messed with them @1st) Now she loves the sound !

after the grills I return to the backs & do over with new wood

• 2 weeks later...

gluing up the oak boards as we speak

I have to go over & pick up my brass plates today

using brass as an acsent to the Red of the stain I used on the Oak, hence the brass screws on the boards & side walls all that will tie into the whole look

i post some pix of how the Grill work is gonna be done

been spending time on the CS-1 center speaker , Tested well........... actually Better than expectations ,I was amazed !!

Mike

• 3 months later...

They WERE good speakers......

They WERE Klipsch speakers......

They WERE Cornwalls......

BUT Now they are EVEN Better ! & they are mine ........ soo cheric you need to get over it, get used to it OR deal with it all ......

& there is no way that i would want go back to them Being Cornwalls ...

as far as debating wheather a CornScala sounds better than a Cornwall I M H O there is a Soo Much better sound from the conversion that a debate would be waste of time !

as far as a finshed project I've Yet to finsh the grills will do soon & post Pix for all Ya !

the CS-1's have worked out soo well that they are now wired as Highs left & right ( Yeah a pair of H 1's they were )

the set-up is soo good that I now really like classical music ! [:P]

just added a 60" LCD to the HT ,Soo now all that is left to do is finsh the grills