You Can Never Have Too Many Cable Threads

thebes

Get him, now... one more time.

Thebes... so you're not interested in purchasing the Nordost Odin speaker cables for $38k then? How about the matching power cord for only $11k? Big Smile

I could score a candlelight dinner with Paris Hilton for a lot less dough and have a lot more fun.

Just think, for that kinda money you could buy easily buy a copy of every audiophile lp in current production. Hell, you could probably buy a single copy of every album in the Acoustic Sounds wharehouse with money left over for a $5k cart and a $5k table, maybe even squeeze out a Amperex 6922 pinch waist or two.

I may have a bit of a need to find reasonable priced better shielded "patch cord" than the garden variety but it stops there.

I will buy any used Audio Quest Coral I can find. I own two pairs. $ 120 a 1 meter pair is about tops for me. Same cost model for a nice matched pair of 12AX7s.

Many of the real sweet vintage tube pre or power amps I have heard use the origaonla power cord. A 20 second sanding of the male power cord ends satisfies me. Even the female RCAs on most vintage amps look they would make the music unmusical!

When I jump inot the Audio Karma show every other year I purposely use Home Depot wire just to take that variable to a basic level.

I like to read cable threads.

Someday I may get a bit focused on TT cables. Should the little tiny buggers have the best shielding of any cables in your system for maximum performance?

• 1 year later...

Yes folks, it's January. Time for a rash (or rasher) of cable threads.As you can see I've conducted some empirical scientifically controlled, and rigorously technically reviewed analysis to this subject. Problem is, I've mislaid my special hat and the voices have started up again.

the different wire componets are all explained in the manufacture's marketing material. the explinations involve capacitance, resistance, inductance principles. thin wire for high frequency, thicker for middle and low, plastic core for wire spacing , dielectric materials to focus on capacitance. grades of cooper, etc.

I'm not convinced that genetically, we all hear the same thing. my ancestors were jungle inhabitants, others mountain dwellers, still others desert plains, etc. survival of the fitest would suggest that there is a possibility our hearing engines are different. the ability to triangllate the location of prey in a forest environment using our hearing could be different for mountain, desert, open plains dwellers. Why should we assume that if there was a difference in the sound of wires, tubes, capacitors, we would all hear the same difference.

I have a 12khz hum in my ears from army avionic equipment. any difference would have to penitrate that.

post-22082-1381968556317_thumb.png

As a genetic knuckle dragger (according to my family tree and observations about my eating habits...), That now explains why I cannot tell the difference between the expensive designer cables and the basic (made in USA) generic interconnects.

That being said..... Whenever I have taken apart a really cheap (made in Lower Slobovia...)interconnect, it always seems that the wire was solder to the connector with a crappy solder and very little wire in the solder joint. El cheapo solder, crappy connector material, etc. One can have the best "wire" available, but if the connectors are crap, then all else is meaningless. Those issues alone will cause problems.

[H]