Receiver question

dissension

I JUST sold my Yamaha RX V1, got 450.00 for it.

I have decided to wait awhile before I buy anything new.' The stuff Iwant is new, and no deals are to be had, yet! I put my old Yamaha DSP A 870 integrated in the system, and it sounds pretty good. I am set for Stuper Bowl, LOL

Dont let these guys make this more complicated than it has to be...Listen...every year theres a new A/V Receiver that wins the editors choice for top dog in sound quality, inputs, remote control, upconverting and so on (theres always pros and cons)...for a paticular price point. I personally take cnet reviews proffesional opions in serious consideration...with other research of course

Here are three receivers that had the best reviews this year..

under $500 .....http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k/4505-6466_7-33496205.html

under $1000....http://www.bestcovery.com/denon-avr2310ci-71-channel-multi-zone-home-theater-receiver?whybest=1&best=61779

under $1500...http://www.cnet.com.au/best-receivers-under-1500-339287767.htm

I am totally confident if you went with either of these receivers you will get the best for your money spent, as of 2010

Monty

Although, I am unable to speak on behalf of the other brands, many of the Pioneer AV receiver models include built-in Faroudja video scalers, which is one of the best video processor-makers in the business in my opinion. -Glenn

Dont let these guys make this more complicated than it has to be...Listen...every year theres a new A/V Receiver that wins the editors choice for top dog in sound quality, inputs, remote control, upconverting and so on (theres always pros and cons)...for a paticular price point. I personally take cnet reviews proffesional opions in serious consideration...with other research of course

Here are three receivers that had the best reviews this year..

under $500 .....http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k/4505-6466_7-33496205.html

under $1000....http://www.bestcovery.com/denon-avr2310ci-71-channel-multi-zone-home-theater-receiver?whybest=1&best=61779

under $1500...http://www.cnet.com.au/best-receivers-under-1500-339287767.htm

I am totally confident if you went with either of these receivers you will get the best for your money spent, as of 2010

Monty

Very fine choices from Monty. But to make things complicated, that's what were here for.

Instead of the Pioneer VSX-1019AH, go for the VS-23TXH Elite for roughly $100 more. It does everything the 1019 does and MORE, with pre-outs for future expansions.

The newer Denon series xx10 doesn't seem to offer much more than last year's models, xx09. The xx09 series, particularly the 889/2309 and up are all MADE in JAPAN, if that matters and has pretty much everything that this year's models had to offer. PLUS, they can be had for way less. Oh, this year's models are made in CHINA, even the $1,500 3310 unit.

Yes, it could be a very painful process looking for audio/video gear.

Although, I am unable to speak on behalf of the other brands, many of the Pioneer AV receiver models include built-in Faroudja video scalers, which is one of the best video processor-makers in the business in my opinion. -Glenn

Apologies in advance for a newbie question (and one that was touched on implicitly by wuzzzer in the second post in this thread). Under what circumstances would you want to run your video through the receiver? I've always (perhaps wrongly?) run the video to the tv and the audio to the receiver. Are there advantages and/or applications I'm unaware of? -Scott

For SOME strange reason, I trust CNET too ?

They had very good things to say about the sound quality of the Pioneer. However, I do not believe they have ever heard a properly set up Audyssey DSX surround scheme ? I am a jaded audiophile, dont get exceited about much, and had the full blown Yamaha DSP system for years. I had the chance to actually hear the Audyssey DSX recently, with all speakers properly set up, and connected. I know, just for me, That any receiver I buy MUST have the Audyssey DSX. I just sold my Yamaha RX V1 yesterday, and not too many receivers have the Audyssey DSX system,. only Onkyo and Denon, at the moment .....

So, I have an older Yamaha DSP Integrated amp, the DSP A 970, with matching Yamaha TX 850 tuner I have pressed into service, and it sound good, good enough for Super Bowl, LOL. I am patient, and dont buy none of this audio stuff, w/o getting a deal. I might have to wait a year for Audyssey DSX equipped receivers to come dowwn in price. A Perfect scenario would be the excellent Pioneer review by CNET with Audyssey DSX. Unfortunately, it is not Audyssey DSX equipped, at the moment.

Fewer stops between source and screen is still an important thing to consider, but much less of an issue with today's AVR's. The biggest benefit is cable management, especially with HDMI. ease of use (set your tv to a single input and then just switch inputs on the receiver).

i I am much more an Audiophile then a videophile.'

I always want the shortest signal path possible, and have lived with a Yamaha RX V1 for years w/o any HDMI. Can you give me an example of how my new HDMI equipped receiver will be more convienient ? One thing I hate is on my TV that is HDMI equipped, I have to switch the inputs to see the on screen display,, a real PITA!

And constantly switch the TV inputs to watch DVD! So with all HDMI, just do switching in the reciever, and leave TV alone ? If so, this means I need a good Video receiver, since my Mitsubishi is 73 inches, and I may see degradation ?

Can you give me an example of how my new HDMI equipped receiver will be more convienient ? One thing I hate is on my TV that is HDMI equipped, I have to switch the inputs to see the on screen display,, a real PITA!

And constantly switch the TV inputs to watch DVD! So with all HDMI, just do switching in the reciever, and leave TV alone ? If so, this means I need a good Video receiver, since my Mitsubishi is 73 inches, and I may see degradation ?

Virtually all receivers with HDMI ins/outs will convert all incoming video signals to HDMI, allowing you to run a single HDMI cord to your HDTV and never having to switch any inputs on your TV.