Ping Gartenman or tube knowledge

USNRET

First does anyone know how to get carriage returns using Chrome, darn run ons. Gary, I rolled the JJ 82s and 83s out of the VRD-S and put in the RCA Cleartop AXs and AUs, me likes! Me likes A LOT[:)] [:)] [:)] Now I want to swap out the Valve Art KT 88s and put in the Gold Loin KT88s. I wonder about the bias. It's set at about 0.47. Plug in the power tubes, power up and cringe, wait then bias again or what technique?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are rolling power tubes.....

1. Turn bias pots down before installing new tubes.

2. Check socket tension before installing new tubes. Those Shuguang (Valve Art) KT88 have a tendency to be "irregular" with regard to the pins, whereas most NOS and Russian reissue Gold Lions have very regular and slimmer pins. So if you pull out the VAs and insert new tubes, check to make sure you don't have a pin socket or three with the "C" clips spread too far apart. This is particularly important with the Russian reissue GLs (assuming that's what you are using).

3. Once installed, bring up the bias a few MA at a time across the four pots until biased properly. If the tubes are brand new, recheck bias frequently until the bias holds steady.

That should do it.....

Thanks![:)] In what configuration should I bring the bias down (with power off or monitor with power on)? I assume from your instructions that with power off and power tubes removed I turn down all 4 pots being careful not to hit the minimum stop and then plug in and bring them back up. is there any danger in having the bias too low when I power up?

Mike, let me know how it works. I am thinking putting some Gold Lions in my VRD's. Did I remember a post that said the Gold Lions din't like the VRD's or was it the tubes and not the VRD?? Where did you get your GL's, good price???

Bob, I think there is at least one camp that doesn't particularly care of the GLs in the VRD but since they came with the unit amp when I bought it so I have nothing to lose (finders crossed) to plug'em in and give a listen. I really like the change from JJs to RCAs.

Mike, let me know how it works. I am thinking putting some Gold Lions in my VRD's. Did I remember a post that said the Gold Lions din't like the VRD's or was it the tubes and not the VRD?? Where did you get your GL's, good price???

CB

when they first produced the Gold Lions there were reliability issues but from what I hear and from personal experience that has been resolved. I really like them and they have very favorable reviews! The only reason I changed to the Tung Sols is because I found an obscenely good price on a quad. I have some original Genalex KT88s and personally think the reissues sound better.

Hope USNRET won't mind but while we are pinging Gartenman how do you like the Mullards in your Jolida? Any improvement over the original tubes?

I think the Mullards give a warmer, richer, smoother more full bodied sound, better high end extension without feeling like an icepicks being jammed in your ear, midrange to die for , can you say Phat (thats what I like about Mullards the most probably due to type of music I listen to), tight bass, soundstage is a huge improvement; wider and deeper...the stock tubes seemed thin to me, lifeless, without character and the trebles had limited treble extension and when pushed were almost ear piercing and the bass was flubby...I've read the cheap fix is to replace with some RCA 6201s as they tend to not make the sound anot so in your face, as the 6201 is a 12AT7 tube it has like 30% less gain compared to the factory installed 12AX7, the less gain of the 6201 helps smooth things out so that the soundstage increases so you can hear the whole mix, 5751s will also work for same reason as they have less gain...same guy told me to put a phone book on too of the player (nice look huh?) to reduce vibration instead of using more expensive tube damping devices, it essentially will effectively damp tube vibrations that can cause ringing, microphonics, and sonic distortions. i use brass eights i bought inexpensively on Ebay but he has a cheap fix...hope this helps, lemme know

here are comments from the owner of thetubeshop.com

RCA Black Plate Double mica 5751. Try these in place of the 12AX7 in

your tube CD player. They sound richer and more detailed

Try RCA blackplate 12AT7 in your tube CD player in place of 12AX7s

The lower gain really opens up the sound. A customer turned me on to this

and I loved the diffrence in sound.

First does anyone know how to get carriage returns using Chrome, darn run ons. Gary, I rolled the JJ 82s and 83s out of the VRD-S and put in the RCA Cleartop AXs and AUs, me likes! Me likes A LOTSmileSmileSmile Now I want to swap out the Valve Art KT 88s and put in the Gold Loin KT88s. I wonder about the bias. It's set at about 0.47. Plug in the power tubes, power up and cringe, wait then bias again or what technique?

Good for you. Amazing how big a change using quality tubes can make. Anytime I can be of help. Give me a call if you need help with the power tube install.

Guest davidness

First does anyone know how to get carriage returns using Chrome

(or Safari)

To hard-code carriage returns, use a little hand coded html.

You can force a line break by inserting the code "<br>". If you want to skip a line, insert "<br><br>" to the end of any lines.

Or you can enclose your paragraphs within paragraph tags; "<p>your text</p>"

Or (my suggestion), you can use FireFox.

Guest davidness

Where did you get your GL's, good price?

I bought my quad Gold Lion (reissue) KT-88's from bnb_tunes on ebay. $200 shipped. I would recommend. Link. No affiliation.

He is also the best source for Mullard CV4024 NOS tubes, one of the best 12at7 tubes out there.