Need a cheap Nikon DSLR AF lens

USNRET

So the auto focus on our Nikon D540 became very intermittent and then I knocked it of my desk and the lens is now history. I need a cheap one the wife can take snap shots with, don't want to spend 200 on a new lens as she has a habit of not giving much TLC to the camera. Suggestions?

There is no D540, I assume you must mean D40. That camera requires an AF-S lens to autofocus, which you have purchased. Other lenses will fit but in manual focus only. Some older lenses may not even meter with the D40. I have a D40 as my 2nd camera and love it. I got it about a year ago from Amazon w/kit lens for $409. Already have an arsenal of lenses, so I sold the kit lens on Ebay for $100. Not a bad price for such a good camera.

If your camera is not working properly after the fall, check on www.photo.net for recommendations for repair shops. It seem like the Nikon repair service is variable; some like other independent repair shops much better.

There is no D540, I assume you must mean D40. That camera requires an AF-S lens to autofocus, which you have purchased. Other lenses will fit but in manual focus only. Some older lenses may not even meter with the D40. I have a D40 as my 2nd camera and love it. I got it about a year ago from Amazon w/kit lens for $409. Already have an arsenal of lenses, so I sold the kit lens on Ebay for $100. Not a bad price for such a good camera.

If your camera is not working properly after the fall, check on www.photo.net for recommendations for repair shops. It seem like the Nikon repair service is variable; some like other independent repair shops much better.

Woops, FAT FINGER alert. It's a D-50. Thanks.