Heresy question

likemysteak

I just picked up 2 pairs of Heresy I's with stands. I've opened them up and they look to be original. Cabinets have some nicks and minor scratches and could use refinishing, but overall they were a good deal. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what finish they are, I've looked in the forum but I need my hand held I guess. One pair is has HMBL on the back, serials aren't consecutive. The other pair have HFBL, serials are consecutive and also has CDL m0540794 hand engraved onto the back/top of the speaker. What do theses things all mean?

Here's another question, can you suggest anyone around the SF Bay Area that's familiar with refinishing Heresy's? I saw that guy (forgot his name) from Florida that AWESOME, but he's a little far from me.

HMBL = Heresy MB Lacquer. What is MB? It could be Mahogany with a special lacquer that has a B in the name? My Zebrawood's are CZSL, the SL stands for "Satin Lacquer."

What do they look like? Are the edges mitered or butted birch plywood? Could the "5" in the serial number be an "S"? If so, they could be '78s. What do the emblems look like? Do they have laser lines through the Klipsch name?

It's a mystery to me.

Edit: If the other is HFBL, they must both be birch lacquer. What is the M and what is the F? F = Fir? Do they look identical? I'm stumped.

give the complete s/n#'s of all 4 there will be a letter in the middle that is the year MFG the other lettering is off to the side & that is what wood & finsh was when sold ...

keep us informed

& U might want to post on the upgrades & modifecations threads as more people with better knowlege will be there & help will be faster in coming

Photo will help !

Thanx Mike

I'm in the bay area too! PM me ................

those look like the newer woofs ... what's the crossovers look like ??

does it have the old metal oval Can type caps ?

the reason i ask is if they are the old style Caps then U should upgrade them to the new ones as the sound will be Greatly improved !

i did that with my Cornwalls & WoW! huge difference

the Old can style caps degrade after awhile . My cornies were '76 & '77-ers

Now I'm making CornScala's outta them here's a link http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/129786.aspx

also the S/N #'s are stamped into the wood right on the top edge center of each speaker & on the side near the top is stamped the wood & finsh code

those look to be made in 1984 by the code

is the Cabinet made outta plywood OR MDF (partical board) ?

all this helps with ID'ing them

see these links

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/13385/100764.aspx#100764

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

I believe HMEL means Heresy, Macassar Ebony, Lacquer. Picture looks like it. That is a very rare veneer, probably rarer than Brazilian Rosewood.

I believe HFBL means Heresy , Fir Black, Lacquer.

CDL means "California Driver's License". What follows is a previous owner's driver's license number.

Serial numbers indicate they are all from 1984.

You have a nice timbre matched set of Heresys. If you add another for a HT system, make sure it is from the same time
frame. Yours have the K-53-K squawker in common with the Heresy II
that followed. Most of the earlier Heresys had the K-55-V. They
sound a little different.

If you are going to refinish the Macassar Ebony ones, unless you know how to do it right yourself, take them to a good cabinet shop. A 2' x 8' sheet of Macassar Ebony veneer goes for around $500 at McBeath's in Berkeley.

also the S/N #'s are stamped into the wood right on the top edge center of each speaker & on the side near the top is stamped the wood & finsh code

i think they stopped stamping the serial numbers into the wood on the back in 83

also the letters stamped into the wood on the back top left or right are not the wood and finish codes but rather the first letter of the person who built them and his or her helpers according to Andy

i think they stopped stamping the serial numbers into the wood on the back in 83

also the letters stamped into the wood on the back top left or right are not the wood and finish codes but rather the first letter of the person who built them and his or her helpers according to Andy

my Cornies have a stamp USA on one side & the RB on the other on the set from from '76