Recommended Speakers

rothsteinkstaa

I am finishing up my downstairs and still need to pick out front Speakers, center channel and subwoofer. I will have a 65" flat screen and the other speakers for the 7.1 are all architectural. Some thoughts are:

Plan 1: Front pair RF-83, center RC-64, sub ?

Plan 2: Front and center: architectural 3-KL-6504 for all 3, sub?

I would like to have the larger sound of plan 1 expecially since a majority of the sound comes from the center channel but I also feel plan 2 will be a better look , 1/2 the price and work out great because the lower sounds will be coming from the sub anyway.

Also I have seen the center channel mounted both above and below the TV. The system I have upstairs is above and slighlty tilted down to the viewers is there any benifits having it below.

On that note what sub would you recommend <$1,000.

Plan 1 will keep you very happy for a long time.

For Subs, recommendation are nice, but you need to listen, if possible, to each and decide for yourself. For the amt listed you should be able to find a sub that will make you very happy for a long time..............

JMHO.

if your Married or living with someone............check with them first.

I recommend Regular Speakers just in case you either move or want to change the living rooom layout.............

Then you do not have to mess with Holes in the wall repairs..............

JMHO.

if your Married or living with someone............check with them first.

I recommend Regular Speakers just in case you either move or want to change the living rooom layout.............

Then you do not have to mess with Holes in the wall repairs..............

JMHO.

I agree with Bill on all counts and add that freestanding speakers hold their value better than in-walls in case you ever need to sell them. Plus they sound a WHOLE LOT better.

I agree, but as far as for a home theatre would it be over kill, as I get older and more mature I don't need to have the music as loud as I use to. I owned a pair of Corner Horns from about 1987 - 1997 before I sold them off just because of their size, but boy did I love the sound.

Actually if you're like most people that get older, you enjoy music at a quieter level, but you need more volume due to hearing loss (like me!). Also, if you're used to the big corner horns, you really are not going to like the in walls.

So from the input here is what I am looking at for the basement system: Since I may go with a projector I dont want the RC-64 sticking out 12 - 15" out from the screen so I should be okay with the inwall for a center, any recommendations on the other components.

Television/Projector (~95" screen)
Epson 6500UB Projector
Front Speakers
RF-83
Sub Woofer
Definitive Tech Supercube 1
Center Channel
In-Wall K6504 THX
Receiver
Denon AVR-2310

I dont have much knowledge on the inwalls but i know you should get a matched center with your towers. The center is the most important part of the system. There are stands specifically made for the rc-64 i believe. Do yourself and get the rc-64 if your are set on the rf-83s. You will not regret it. Also it is a good idea to listen to different subwoofers before you buy but i know almost everyone who buys SVS are happy with them.

Wow. just got shot down from the love of my life. No speakers on the floor, so no rf-83's or rc-64 speakers, but know that does free up some additional $, to upgrade other items. Know I have to decide between the 2 kl7800 with 1 KL-6504 for center or just match up likr speaekers together and get 3 of each as a set.

• Moderators

Wow. just got shot down from the love of my life. No speakers on the floor, so no rf-83's or rc-64 speakers

That's too bad. Unfortunately you can't get the same quality in an inwall speaker as you would with a floorstanding speaker...it's just physics. Is she going to let you get a sub or will that need to be inwall as well?

If possible, try to make a deal with her. Buy her something really nice if she will let you get the RF-83's and the RC-64. It's worth a shot. Sometimes begging works too. [:P] Good luck.

Wow. just got shot down from the love of my life. No speakers on the floor, so no rf-83's or rc-64 speakers, but know that does free up some additional $, to upgrade other items. Know I have to decide between the 2 kl7800 with 1 KL-6504 for center or just match up likr speaekers together and get 3 of each as a set.

Basement = MANCAVE

Bill

There is an option that would be between the inwalls and the 83's as far as room aesthetics. Could you consider the Ultra2 sytem? The KL650's are very flexible in room placement and could be built into a wall unit or shelves and not even be seen. They would blow the lid off the inwalls and likely outperform the 83's for theater use.

You can mix the system up. Maybe 650's built into something and inwalls for all the surrounds?

Thanks but the screen is against a cement wall with a 2x4 frame so the KL650's would stick out to far, how about the KPT series? Those could be mounted higher because of the downward angle and may be okay by the wife but I will see, but then what to do for a center channel? The more and more I look at it I fear I will end up 3 KL-7800 speakers. If I end up with that then I would be just fine with the SVS PC-12 Plus instead of the PC13.

She did make a comment that she doesn't want another box on the floor (KW-15) like upstairs. I did inform her that there must be a subwoofer in the basement, that I did confirm.