Denon 1910/Yammie 765 >> Going Crazy ...Ahhhhhh

smokarz

this is definitely driving crazy.

so i have been in the hunt to replace my puny Onkyo HTIB receiver. i just want GOOD Audio SQ for the RF3 speakers.

both the 1910 and 765 can be had for < $400. the 765 has preouts so i can add amp later if needed (benchmark is showing the 765 produced less than 50 watt at .1% when 5 channels are driven. this looks like a very weak amp

the 1910 does not have pretouts. but benchmarks is showing that it put out roughly 100watts per channel at .05% when 5 is driven.

so i have two questions.

(1) would i ever need an amp to drive my RF3 system with the 1910? looks like there are plenty of power from the 1910.

(2) does 1910 has better audio fidelity versus the 765?

thanks all, and i really hope to put an end to this soon. it's been nuts.

I am in the same boat as you although i am not in as big of a rush because i would like to get another $100 in my receiver fund first. Anyways what i am doing is waiting for something the next step up from the 1910 or the 765 to hit low $400. If i were to decide between those two though i would probably go with the 765 but only because it has preouts. The denon looks better imho but that doesnt mean too much. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Oh also another option is to wait and i am sure the denon 790 will be $300 flat eventaully.

Smokarz as I been saying in the forum for the past few weeks, the Denon amps selling under 800 this year are not a good bargan and compared to other brands dont sound as good. All the pros agree they have the best upconversion ..yes...but sound quality no. IF your going to cut your receiver to 100hz or less and have a good SUBwoofer to take the load off ,then I would say your probably ok with either choice though.

Yamaha, IMHO. Take it for what it's worth. Just be patient and find a good deal on it!

If you do go with the Denon, check this out...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1269017698&/Denon-Avr1910-all-models-on-sa

You'd probably get it in the low 400's with shipping.

thanks jrod.

a new denon 1910 can be had for around $380 shipped from an authorized retailer.

Smokarz as I been saying in the forum for the past few weeks, the Denon amps selling under 800 this year are not a good bargan and compared to other brands dont sound as good. All the pros agree they have the best upconversion ..yes...but sound quality no. IF your going to cut your receiver to 100hz or less and have a good SUBwoofer to take the load off ,then I would say your probably ok with either choice though.

thanks monty, didn't know that about the entry level denon. i'll have to do some reading on it.

i was also looking at the 863, i had a separate thread on it. it seems that most prefer the 663 for less since its essentially an 663 with hd tuner and a few extra watts.

could you be more specifics about what you do not like with the 765?

why can't buying a decent affordable receiver has to be so challenging? aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

I've got Denon 1910 with RF-62, RB-3, RC3. Awesome unit in all recpects. One thing I don't care about is the up-conversion, since my Sony TV does a better job than any AVR. But from what I've read - 1910 is second to none in upconversion for it's price.

Pros:
Sounds good
Stays cool (unlike Onkyo)
4 HDMI in (very important for me)
Two zones
Supports 1080p/24
On screen setup (not overlay though)
Price! (paid $380 for new unit).
2 year manufacturer's warranty
Pure Direct mode - turns off extra circuits to produce the the cleanest possible sound
Plenty of power for Klipsch speakers 90x7
Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ® - microphone based setup (MultiEQ is more advanced than the basic Audessey or YPAO - it setups based on 6 mic positions)

Cons:
Remote - that thing is stupid. It works, but bad design. Use a harmony remote from Logitech.

In general I like the way Yamaha sounds and it does have the Burr-Brown DACs, yet I picked Denon in part for the Audyseey MultiEQ, low heat and better price.

I've got Denon 1910 with RF-62, RB-3, RC3. Awesome unit in all recpects. One thing I don't care about is the up-conversion, since my Sony TV does a better job than any AVR. But from what I've read - 1910 is second to none in upconversion for it's price.

thanks for the inputs Yura. yes, i agree, i could careless about upconversion. i buy a receiver for audio, not video. lol

i was also looking at the 863, i had a separate thread on it. it seems that most prefer the 663 for less since its essentially an 663 with hd tuner and a few extra watts.

could you be more specifics about what you do not like with the 765?

Its hard explain..It felt very cheap, the sound was tinny to me and thats after spending hours playing with it...I will say this though the lay out on the back is setup nice...the unit is very lite not sure why its so much lighter but it is...and dont believe what the web specs say cause its lighter than they say...it just never sounded full...

I've finally put an END to this nightmare.

Bought the Denon 2809CI in "great conditions" on the bay for $475 shipped. I think I will be happy with this receiver.

Question, should I get theh 3yr Squaretrade warranty with this? Anyone has good experiences with Squaretrade?