Harmony Remotes Question

smokarz

• Moderators

As far as I know all Harmony's send you through menus for operation,my old mx500 is much faster with hard buttons.

The Harmony One has both menu items and hard buttons. Hard buttons are programable to whatever you want them to be. The buttons in the touch screen you can arrange so that your most used buttons are at the front.

As far as I know all Harmony's send you through menus for operation,my old mx500 is much faster with hard buttons.

The Harmony One has both menu items and hard buttons. Hard buttons are programable to whatever you want them to be. The buttons in the touch screen you can arrange so that your most used buttons are at the front.

Yes I think the Harmony One and 900 are more similar to URC than other Harmony remotes.

i like my 720 a lot. now that i have had it a while, the clicking buttons don't bother me. my wife from the start like the clicking butons. go figure a husband and wife having a different opinion! lol she the best though!

i am sure happy right now. just figured out how to turn of my X10 outlet SR227 with the "all power off" button on the logitech remote. so easy, can't believe i didn't figure it out sooner. ok, ok, ok, i was able to call tech support and they told me how to do it.

i like my 720 a lot. now that i have had it a while, the clicking buttons don't bother me. my wife from the start like the clicking butons. go figure a husband and wife having a different opinion! lol she the best though!

i am sure happy right now. just figured out how to turn of my X10 outlet SR227 with the "all power off" button on the logitech remote. so easy, can't believe i didn't figure it out sooner. ok, ok, ok, i was able to call tech support and they told me how to do it.

I have Insteon switches throughout my home and I can use my MX-800 and MX-850 remotes to turn ON/OFF or Brighten/Dim any or every light in my home, no need to be in the room, it's really nice.

I have a Harmony 880 and I love it. It is my second Harmony. The IR light went out on my first one. However, I am not in love with the company. Their Customer Service changed a couple years ago. They used to be very helpful, and would walk you through any problems you might have with the programming. I bought my last 880 through ebay, and it was advertised as a new unit, came in a new blisterpac, and certainly looked brand new to me. I had initial problems with it, and when I called for service, they asked for the serial number. I was then informed that it had been registered more than a year ago, and they refused me any assistance. I will never buy another Logitech product, but I like my Harmony so much, that when I replace it, it will probably be with another Harmony.

• Moderators

Jimmy, although I can understand your frustration with Harmony, I don't see how you can fault them for customer service when they fulfilled their obligations to the original owner of your remote. I wouldnt think it would be fair for Klipsch to provide support or warranty for my RB-35's that I purchased used. Unfortunately, sellers can be shady and sell something as "new" when in reality it is maybe refurbished or used.

thanks guys!

wow that Harmony 900 is expensive, i was hoping to spend aroud $100.

i am not familiar with the URC remotes, but a quick search on Amazon showed they are quite inexpensive, much less than the ONE.

Sounds like the URC remotes are made for you.

I will have to go along with FISH on this one. Using both the MX 500 and the harmony 880 I have to say that the URC is an outstanding remote so much a faster, easier to use and program. Having used numerous remotes I always felt that the Harmony was the hardest one to use for a lot more money.

I know a lot of people like them but I think URC does as good if not better for less money

thanks guys!

wow that Harmony 900 is expensive, i was hoping to spend aroud $100.

i am not familiar with the URC remotes, but a quick search on Amazon showed they are quite inexpensive, much less than the ONE.

Sounds like the URC remotes are made for you.

I will have to go along with FISH on this one. Using both the MX 500 and the harmony 880 I have to say that the URC is an outstanding remote so much a faster, easier to use and program. Having used numerous remotes I always felt that the Harmony was the hardest one to use for a lot more money.

I know a lot of people like them but I think URC does as good if not better for less money

And for a lot more money as well.

The original MSRP on each of my 2 remotes was $499.00 (with RF base stations) plus an expected professional programing charge that is typically around $300.00 or even more. Most of the custom installers don't come down much if any below MSRP.

But I only paid about $340 total for my two remotes (with RF base stations) one was bought new the second was bought just like new and I would not even think of letting someone else program my remote.

My biggest gripe with URC is that they should show more support for the hobbyist do it yourself-er and not so much to the custom installers. Otherwise I think URC remotes are definitely the best.

did you say $340 for both? or each?

and where do you shop for URC remotes? amazon only has the r50 and mx-450.

I paid about $340 total for them both, I bought the first from CompuPlus.com new and the other on ebay just like new with the packaging and all. I got great deals when I got them. [:)]

I would just do a google search on the remotes to compare prices, that amazon deal is probably pretty good though.

Jimmy, although I can understand your frustration with Harmony, I don't see how you can fault them for customer service when they fulfilled their obligations to the original owner of your remote. I wouldnt think it would be fair for Klipsch to provide support or warranty for my RB-35's that I purchased used. Unfortunately, sellers can be shady and sell something as "new" when in reality it is maybe refurbished or used.

I did not ask for hardware replacement. All I did was ask for a technical rep to walk me through a problem I was having. The old Logitech would have worked with me. As I said, this is my second remote, and the customer service with the first unit was very helpful long after the expiration of the warranty. Now, they wont even talk you. I know other companys like that, Philips being one. There is a thread here, about me having to scrap a Philips TV after only four years. IMHO, that kind of customer service sucks big time. And, yes I would expect Klipsch to offer support to me for my speakers. I am the original owner, and if I had a problem I assume they would help me in it's diagnoses. I believe that's only good business sense.

• Moderators

As I said, this is my second remote, and the customer service with the first unit was very helpful long after the expiration of the warranty.

I gotcha. Many manufacturers won't give you the time of day once the warranty is expired. The problem is that if they continue to offer support (even phone support) for older models, I would think they would be losing money, but on the flipside, by not helping a customer, they might be losing future money from that customer.

And, yes I would expect Klipsch to offer support to me for my speakers. I am the original owner, and if I had a problem I assume they would help me in it's diagnoses. I believe that's only good business sense.

Again, I'm not sure it is to a company's best benefit to offer support for products after the warranty has expired. I know there are exceptions. Just my 2cents (probably all they are worth). [;)]