St. Louis Gathering Saturday, March 20

We will be firing up our annual spring gathering at noon on the 20th of March. This year we will be having a NCAA tournament shootout involving various amps going through an Acurus L10 preamp and modded 1963 KHorns. The first round will see a restored Marantz 8B going up against a Monarchy Audio SM70 pro(35 wpc tube vs. 25 wpc Class A), a Mark Levinson #27 fighting an Audio Research D115(100 wpc SS vs. 100 wpc tube,) and a Sonic Impact Super T vs n Eric Mandaville 2A3 based tube monoblocs(10 wpc T vs 3 wpc tube.) One of the winners will draw a bye for the second round and the champ will be selected by popular blind vote.

Other rooms will have a pair of Snell EIIs, a pair of 91 Khorns, and a pair of Thiels being exercised as well.

We will have lunch and some snacks, feel free to bring a side or drinks.

Well, it looks like we will break twenty folks, which will be a goodly number for our 1957 ranch house. I have been putting many of the amps through their paces, excepting the Levinson and Carl's Sonic Impact.

I'm hoping it will be both interesting and eye opening for many of the less jaded people attending. After doing a lot of core soil sampling for all of this week, my arms are telling me we won't be moving the big amps around much at all after they are set up in the back room....but that's no problem, there still will be other stuff to drive the satellite systems. :thmbsp:

We are looking forward to this one. :yes:

Well, it looks like we will break twenty folks, which will be a goodly number for our 1957 ranch house. I have been putting many of the amps through their paces, excepting the Levinson and Carl's Sonic Impact.

I'm hoping it will be both interesting and eye opening for many of the less jaded people attending. After doing a lot of core soil sampling for all of this week, my arms are telling me we won't be moving the big amps around much at all after they are set up in the back room....but that's no problem, there still will be other stuff to drive the satellite systems. :thmbsp:

We are looking forward to this one.

I'm hoping it will be both interesting and eye opening for many of the less jaded people attending. After doing a lot of core soil sampling for all of this week, my arms are telling me we won't be moving the big amps around much at all after they are set up in the back room....but that's no problem, there still will be other stuff to drive the satellite systems.

We are looking forward to this one.

After doing a lot of core soil sampling for all of this week, my arms are telling me we won't be moving the big amps around much at all after they are set up in the back room....

I've been back at the AFB cleaning shrub beds the last couple weeks. I'm pretty well knackered...it's like raking the whole world with a leaf rake. One more week...

Dave, what a great event!! It was nice to catch up with those I have
not seen since last year's gathering, and there was plenty of great food
and drink to boot. yes.gif

Well, onto to the event. banana.gifmusic.gif

Various people rotated in and out for the first three rounds and then
the shootout of champions. I counted the average listening audience to
be approximately 15 people at a time.

In the first round, the majority of the crowd voiced their preference
for the Trends 10.1 tripath amp (with an upgraded stand alone PSU) over
the pair of SET amps. After all, the little Trends (the size of a
matchbox) won StereoMojo's 2007 blind digital amp shootout among 14
different amplifiers, and with an upgraded power supply, the little amp
is no slouch. To my ears, the little Trends was almost as smooth as the
SET on the top end (and amongst the smoothest solid state I have
heard), and the Trends was superior in detail and bass definition.

The second round was a route. To my ears, the Monarchy class A solid
state sounded thin and edgy. On the other hand, the rebuilt Marantz 8B
was smooth as silk, detailed in spades, and forceful at the same time.
Having previously heard (and loved) this particular 8B in its original
form, Craig Ostby's rebuild (NOS Valves) truly did a great job in
restoring this beauty to its legendary status. Even though it was
detailed on the top end, the 8B truly lived up to its moniker as the
"king of the midrange." The crowd voiced its approval for this amp
after the very first song. "Natural," "realistic" and "just like being
there" were numerous comments heard by the crowd about the 8B.

The last round was much closer. On the lower end, I actually preferred
the bass of the Mark Levinson as sounding much tighter, and I thought
that the bass of the Audio Research D115 was just "slightly" bloated.
On the top end, however, the Levinson sounded a bit dry and slightly
thin to my ears, and the AR tube monster sounded almost as sweet on the
top end as the 8B. Given that the D115 was such a powerful tube amp, I
was impressed with the amount of detail on the top end, and the lushness
of the midrange was only exceeded by the Marantz 8B. The crowd preferred the Audio Research over the Mark
Levinson, and this may also be a function of the speakers being run
(horns love tubes).

Ah......the speakers. As some of you may know, the test speakers were a
pair of 1962/63 Klipschorns with JBL 2404 tweeters and a sweet pair of
Universal aftermarket crossovers designed by Al Klappenberger (ALK
Engineering). Kudos to Dave - his Khorns sounded great. biggrin.gif They were very
revealing, yet they adapted to the variety of musical formats with ease.
Other than the various amps, the Khorns were the star of day.

Thanks again to Dave and Colleen for again hosting this annual event!!

Thanks for the detailed review, Carl. It was fun to have a larger crowd partake in the festivities.

I really though the vintage KHorns played superbly, and the Acurus L10 preamp was quite clean in its presentation with all the amps. I liked your Trends, as well!

Here are a few shots of the crowd, and the hot jazz combo we had. That is one of the '63 Khorns..

Posted Image

Melvin(Wolfshead, JBL forum), Ken Seger(Gateway Audio Society), Brian, CarlG(Klipsch forum), VinylDavid(AK forum), SamCogley(AK forum), me, Bob(TheeBadOne, AK forum)

Posted Image

Steve, Alan, DeBusk jazz sculpture, me,Brian, Carl, VinylDavid, Mark(BattRadio, AK forum)

Posted Image

Bill, Steve, others, and Mark running his Hickok 539 tube tester

Some of the other tube gear folks brought for the swap table...

Posted Image

Marantz 19, Harman Kardon 655, Fisher 800C Executive console pull, McIntosh 1900, pair of Rogers organ tube amps(130 watts, modded), Maggotbox amp, CM Labs 914 amp, JBL hombrews with 002 guts, KHorn

And the amp challenge racks..

Posted Image

In front- Audio Research D115, Trends chip amp, Acurus P10 preamp, Sony 5 disc player,

back- Eric Mandaville Horus based SET amps, Marantz 8B, Monarchy Adio SM70 Pro, Levinson # 27

Another cheesecake photo or two...

Posted Image

Harman Kardon Citation II, Eric's Horus based SET amps, Marantz 8B, Bryston 3b ST, Mark Levinson #27, Monarchy Audio SM70 pro, all the tubes on a 1964 Lane Acclaim long coffee table

Posted Image

A pair of Craig Otsby(NOSValves) the first Beta VRD amplifiers being served on a Heywood Wakefield Tiki bar

Posted Image

Upstairs, a pair of JBL C36s with Herman Miller thin edge spun aluminum legs, Heywood Wakefield secretary, and Madison Fielding 440 receiver

Posted Image

Empire 298 turntable, one of those rim drive belt jobs

Posted Image

Altec rack with the 1570B amps and mono tube mixer preamps, from an old movie house

Posted Image

A Madison Fielding 340 6BQ5 integrated amp from the dawn of stereo..ca 1957

Here are a few shots of the crowd, and the hot jazz combo we had. That is one of the '63 Khorns..

Dave, who are the people, and what is at least the non-obvious equipment (which is most of it, for me)? Any owners who don't mind being identified? Thanks,

Larry