Yamaha M-80, outta the blue?

Matthews

Hello all, My newly aquired M-80 has been funtioning flawlessly. Today, before leaving the house I powered everything down just as always. The amp is powered through a switched receptacle on the Adcom pre. This is how I have always turned it on and off. When I returned, went to power my system and the only thing that came on was the Adcom. Nothing from the Yamaha! No lights, sound, nothing. I tried a alternate unswitched outlet. Same outcome.

I dont understand, one minute all is well. Go to power back up and it is dead.

Tomorrow I am going to take it to a local repair tech. I would really like to know of your opinions first though. Thanks for your time and Keep on a Rockin'!

Matt

Hey Matt, Good to see you.

Open it up and check the fuse(s). This is very easy and I know you are up to it. If the fuse(s) are bad, take it/them to Radio Shack and get replacements. I've had this same situation. I now leave my amps on 24/7 and never have a problem.

Let us know what you see inside. Oh, and don't touch anything else inside. Just open it and check the glass fuse(s).

Dennie

Hey Matt, Good to see you

Hi There Dennie, very good to hear from you also!!! I kinda thought it might be something as simple as a fuse but was unwilling to open anything up until I got some suggestions. Today has been quite stressful and this was the last thing I wanted to worry about. The only thing I could think about when it happened was $$$. [8o|]

I will take the top off now and get back with you.

Thanks Man,

Matt

Hey Matt, I know the feeling. I was doing some "spring cleaning" over the weekend and unplugged the Big Screen TV, moved it out and vacuumed behind it, moved it back. When I turned it on that evening........nothing! My heart skipped a beat......I got all sweaty........I started to shake, then I noticed that I didn't plug it back in. Duh!!! So, I know that feeling, when you turn something on and nothing happens.......$$$$$$! [:S]

Did you ever get your speaker fixed?

Dennie

Switched/unswitched receptacles on the back of components are not meant for high-powered devices. CD players, EQs, etc. no problem. They're not built to withstand the current from the amp.

My guess is that you starved the Yamaha's power supply having it plugged into the Adcom and something inside it failed. Could be as simple as a fuse inside it, could be much worse.

unplug it before opening it up! Lightning

[:|] [:S] you could have told me that first thing!

As the smoke clears!!!

No! all is fine! [;)] I found 3 fuses. 2 are solid white ceramic looking. 1 is clear glass. I put an ohm meter to them and one of the two white ones did not ohm out. The other two tested good. My guess is this maybe the culprit. The circuit board calls for 10 A/250V on all three. I will replace all three fuses. Do I need to replace them with the 2 whites and 1 clear as they are? The 2 white ones run parallel with each other and the clear one is in its own place on the same board.

Thanks, Matt

Switched/unswitched receptacles on the back of components are not meant for high-powered devices. CD players, EQs, etc. no problem. They're not built to withstand the current from the amp.

Thanks wuzzer, I will plug directly into a wall outlet after the smoke clears. I did not know this.

Hey Matt,

I knew you knew to unplug it first, but when giving advise, it is better to say it than not![^o)]

I would try to replace it with exactly whats in it now. Keep it simple!

.....and like Wuzzer said, an amp should be plugged into the wall or something comparable, a power conditioner and the like. Not another piece of gear.

Dennie

Thanks for help fellas!!!

My heart skipped a beat when I went to turn on my system and nothing happened. Luckily I still have the Adcom 5400 for a back up until I can get to RS. I have it hooked up now and everything seems normal so I dont think there is any damage done to the pre. Gosh, had no idea I was commiting a NO NO.

Dennie, the driver to my RF-7 is on back order now [8o|] They are supposed to get back with me in the AM and give an ETA. I was pretty fearful the two may have been related. The amp failing and all. For some reason I always fear the worst. Should I look into some sort of power conditioner? How much will that set me back?

Well it seems things are back into somewhat of a wavy line. Just where it needs be. Gotta keep on the toes. Thanks again guys!

Matt

The smoke's cleared and the sweat has evaporated now [Y]

"Im given her all shes got Captain"

Thanks guys it turned out just a fuse blown. The way my day was going yesterday all I saw was $$$. It only ended up costing me $4. Big relief.

Keep on Rockin'

Matt

White fuses must be replaced by white fuses, in the 1/4" x 1-1/4" size a 10A would have the ABC prefix, ie: ABC10.

High voltage causes a fuse to arc internally before it clears the load (goes open). The white fuses have a powder inside them to quench the arc. Glass fuses will generally turn black inside above a few amps when clearing high voltage. This means the equipmet is not protected adequately, as the arc conducts many more times as much energy before clearing.

Of course the repair person will like it when you put the wrong fuse in (it means more money for them).

Hey Matt, Good to see you.

Open it up and check the fuse(s). This is very easy and I know you are up to it. If the fuse(s) are bad, take it/them to Radio Shack and get replacements. I've had this same situation. I now leave my amps on 24/7 and never have a problem.

Let us know what you see inside. Oh, and don't touch anything else inside. Just open it and check the glass fuse(s).

Dennie

I agree with Dennie... This is the best route to go....

I had a M50 for a while until one day, for no reason, the magic smoke was let out into my HT. I still don't know why but it is gone now and has been "upgraded" anyway Wink

Dang Cal, that brought a tear to my eye! May "she" rest in peace! [A]

Dennie