PALLADIUM P-39F (Speaker Cable?)

Boxx

I'm adding a pair of PALLADIUM P-39F speakers to my HT/2 channel system. Any recommendation regarding speaker cable. The distance between speakers is approximately 14'. The speakers will be driven by a McIntosh MC602. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Boxx

OK I'll jump in.

Some folks will say that because you have top of the line speakers that you should spend x amount on Speaker Cable Brand XYZ.

My thinking is that unless the Speakers need a specific brand or type of wire to just get Radio Shack 12 Gauge wire and be done with it.

I don't think you will get any more benefit out of wasting money on expensive wire , when RS will do the job.

JMHO.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

For the lengths involved, #14-#10 AWG stranded copper is good. Home Depot, Lowes, Parts Express, Monoprice all have good wire at reasonable prices. Get spade lugs, bananna plugs, or whatever you need to fit your equipment. Making your own cable to exact length so that there is no excess to coil up is probably of greater benefit than megabuck snake oil wires.

If you are not into DIY, Blue Jeans Cable can make a pair of cables to your specs, IIRC, at reasonable prices.

Congratulations on your new speakers! You have just created a great deal of envy in the rest of us (it is an ugly disease)

However, you are getting some advice that when added up does not make good sense. On one hand "10 ga" may a be a bit of overkill but combining this with "solid core" will be now be a cable that will not lay flat on the floor.

Personally, I do not think it matters all that much (and you would do better by experimenting with speaker and chair placement/location), but why not phone tech support at Klipsch. I would be interested in their recommendation.

Enjoy them and give them a good home,

-Tom

Congrats on getting such a high-level setup! It will be extremely clean, but not fatiguing or irritating; I say that on the basis of extensive listening to a P-37 5.1 setup at Indy a couple of years ago.

To me, that means it won't need specially-picked accessories like wire to mitigate problems, and HD wire might be just fine. To me, though, it also means making sure you are making the most of your setup. I tend to prefer selected wire to wire taken off the big roll at HD. Some moderately-priced Monster has not been bad IMO.

However, top line equipment might benefit from well-matched wire. I suggest you ask at a couple of places. One is Klipsch, where they set up and listen to Palladiums, and probably try lots of wire. [Like Preston suggests!] I suggest you ask Amy to recommend which expert to talk to.

I'd also ask the dealer's opinion, since he has to make his customers happy with what they buy. But I'd take Klipsch's opinion first.

Buy some nice cables off of audiogon to go with your beautiful speakers. On audiogon you can get something decent for a fraction of the cost. Don't spend big money where it isn't needed. I bought a pair of these speaker cables for $80 on audiogon. http://www.the-music-cable.com/speakercab.asp I can't say that wire improve sound but they look great and feel like a quality product.

Thanks for the comment... It's always nice to hear from a guy that still has a (2) reel to reel in their system.

I can't wait for your impressions of the Palladiums. Man you must be excited. I know I would be.

Yes the RTRs are still used daily. I like to make compilation tapes from CDs and LPs.

Congratulations again!