Best crossover for extended LOUD Khorn play?

Gregg357

I have read great things about many crossover designers/builders here on the forum. I like to play my khorns at concert level for extended periods and want to upgrade the original AK2 networks ('88 KB OO). My question; is there a particular crossover that handles/produces best a concert level load? Maybe one that incorporates fuse protection, etc. Thank you.

I agree with the logic about saving your hearing. I'll probably turn my system up at least as loud as most...if not louder...however...one key thing. When it's really pumping out the chest pounding, I'm usually downstairs or even outside. Not in the room with it.

So, with that disclaimer out of the way...

I'd venture to say that if "money is no object" then the "best" way to cross them is probably with some active crossover and tri-amp them. Then... you will probably stumble into the thought that as it gets loud, the midrange gets kind of congested. You could then upgrade those to a better horn...perhaps better driver (depends on what you think and/or budget constraints)

If you are wanting to stay passive, then I'd speculate that Al Klappenbergers "extreme slope" networks are probably your ticket as they will offer the most driver isolation from each other (minimized overlap of sound) and have sharp cutoffs of what gets fed to the drivers. There are probably 12 other good reasons that I simply don't know enough about to tell.

www.alkeng.com click on Klipsch stuff and look around. I had a pair in my Khorns (and still have a pair in my LaScalas) and thought they did a nice job.

Now... if you REALLY want to kick some sound-balls to the wall.... then sell your Khorns and grab a pair of Jubilees or MWM bass bins with the K402 horn on top. Either one of those setups will play louder, cleaner and with more authority than just about any Klipschorn.

All a function of how much you want to spend and what you want sitting in your living room.

Coytee,

Thanks. That makes sense re: the crossovers. I've been to the site and spoken with Al. Re: the Jubilees, is that a realistic option? I've never seen a pair for sale. Typically, how much do they cost? Are they often available? Why mod when you can move up a level?

Gregg

Why mod when you can move up a level?

Gregg

What a great setup line! Some might say "You aren't moving up a level, you're moving to the top." [;)]

They don't often come up on the used market, but it has happened. They run about $7000 without crossovers for a pair. (Bass bins, 402 Horn and K69 driver).

Bruce

As shown, I agree with Bruce.

To your question....why Jubilee? Lemme ask you this.....where do you live? If there is a pair near you then an audition will probably tell you all you need to know (even if it tells you that they are not for you!)

Otherwise it's a very realistic option.... just a matter of ordering the right parts and putting them together (everything has already been engineered, you just decide if you want to go active or passive....most have gone active)

The Jubilee was PWK's last project and his original intent was to create the Klipschorn II. When he heard his creation he felt it bested the Klipchorn by such a margin that rather than become the Klipschorn II, it deserved its own place in the lineup and became the Klipschorn Jubilee.

post-15072-13819556124572_thumb.gif

post-15072-13819582227482_thumb.gif

I know why Jubilee. I just thought they were so limited in qty that getting a set was more luck and timing than perseverance. I live in Mass. and would love to have an audition, but probably shouldn't. It would just make me under appreciate what I have. Just because the girl is prettier than yours, doesn't mean she's the right one for you. But I can't seem to stop myself.

Gregg

I just thought they were so limited in qty that getting a set was more luck and timing than perseverance

They're as simple as a phone call and credit card number!

I live in Mass

Anywhere near Westhampton? There is a pair there and he'll let people hear them.

It would just make me under appreciate what I have

You might gain appreciation for what you have, their size and their performance/size ratio too!

Just because the girl is prettier than yours, doesn't mean she's the right one for you. But I can't seem to stop myself.

You cad! [Y]

Coytee,

Thanks for the reference, I'm on the Cape and not close to Westhampton. But, will keep it in mind for a future road trip.

DeanG & jwc,

That's pretty much what I suspected. Well, now it's time to start saving. I'd also like to get into some ALK Trachorns. I'll have one pair of Khorns for the price of two by the time I'm done.

Gregg