RS = SPL Meter

eddieras

Doug said it.

Just a word of caution,dont test the limits of the upper rage with test CD's you may end up with toasted tweeters.

I know of a few who lost tweeters in the dB SPL tests.

Use regular movies(DVD)or music CD's.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

As usual, Doug's on point... but, for the sake of clarity... be sure that the meter is steeply angled toward the ceiling... at about the level of your ears when seated in the sweet spot... and NOT pointed toward ANY speaker.

When testing your subwoofer range, try moving the SPL meter to the left and right covering your whole sweet spot audience area. For this part of the test, I prefer source material that has a broad range of sound in the 20-100 Hz range. The meter can help you detect and correct low bass anomalies.

Tom's brought up a good suggestion from his Money Pit... and yes, the SPL meter is threaded for it. A tripod makes it convenient to monitor different music sources after the set-up is complete. An inexpensive table-top tripod should be available at your local camera supply store.

I use a mini-tripod designed for a surveillance camera... and set-up the SPL meter on a table between leather LazyBoys. That puts the head of the meter on a plane where my "kick back and relax" head position is.

If you haven't already bought one, you may want to consider buying one of several Home Theater Setup DVD discs. Most of these provide excellent procedures for setting up an entire Home Theater System, to include TV/video sets, and usually include instructions for using an SPL Meter. Their test tones and procedures are far better than using the pink noise from the receiver or Prepro.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

maybe you got my first unit, it just didn't work either... I was pretty pissed, but RS replaced it right away.

mayeb it happens regularly... it's Radio Scrap after all!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Took it back the next day and they swapped it without question. It appeared that the first one had been opened and returned, so maybe it was yours Seb! Seems like a long ways to return it though!

Took it home and set-up the receiver. It took longer than I thought cause I couldn't get the kids to be quiet long enough to set the levels.

Jim

eddieras

Thanks for the post. I had recently purchased a SPL Meter at Radio Shack for $39.99. After reviewing your post, took it back and they exchanged it for the $29.99 sale price. Will use the difference on the purchase of my RS 7(s) Smile.gif.

Good Klips!

Huhuru

This message has been edited by Huhuru on 03-26-2002 at 01:23 AM