My Blu-Ray Player Too SLOW....

smokarz

I spent a year reading and reviewing players. I desperately wanted to avoid buying a PS3. In the end, I bought a PS3 Slim. Why? Upconversion is fantastic. Instantly compatible with any blu rays released - no waiting on a firmware update; the blu ray disk contains patches on it just for the PS3 to ensure the best possible experience. The load time is unbeatable. It will be upgraded to 3D this summer to take advantage of the new movies and tv's coming out. As someone else mentioned, its ability to connect to media servers is fantasic as well. I run Tversity and can stream music, dvd's, or whatever else I like to it.

Oh, yeah, and I hear it plays games too.

Good call on Tversity, that's a great way to run audio and video media if you don't want to use WMP 11.

lol I have Need for Speed Underground as my only game and I think I've played it once, i got it for $9.99. I have one controller, f buying another one for $59 what a rip off. I really am not a gamer at all, which speaks volumes about the PS3 and how good it is. And you're right about the firmware update, just does it automatically when you sign in if there's an update, you just can't beat that. And it's cheaper than most of the Blu-Rays out there with the same functionalities. Shoot I even have the 120GB one and I don't think I've even saved anything onto the harddrive, I guess I could download all my music couldn't I?

• Moderators

Mark, two questions for you.

1) Can you explain how you setup WMP to stream your music from another computer? Currently, I take my CD's and import them onto the PS3. Was just curious how you get the PS3 to "see" another computer on the network and use WMP from that computer to play it.

2) I have Medal of Honor: Airborne (war type first person shooter game that I don't play anymore since I've beaten it) and would be interested in trading you for Need for Speed. Not sure if I've ever played Underground but I love racing games (GranTurism, Need for Speed Shift, etc).

well, guess what. i fixed my issue.

taking rivernuget suggestions, i switched on "quick load" and also updated the firmware. the discs load a lot faster now.

but i'll keep an eye out on the PS3, looks like it's something i might want to have in the ht/movie room.

I think you have to go into WMP 11 and go to the Library tab and allow file sharing, and then it should automatically just show up under the audio and video (if applicable) tab of the PS3. I'll have to re-check tomorrow how I did it but I know you have to go in and actually enable file sharing. Actually try this link first this is what I used to set it up and it is pretty easy to understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJmkyFGK3w

I can literally stream all 5000 songs I have on my desktop as well as any video files you might have (movies, TV shows, etc..)

Let me know if that helps, I can try to help you further if that doesn't work.

Oh and about the trade I'm not much into war games at all and I do play Need for Speed every once in awhile plus when I have friends over they like to play it. You should be able to go to a used game store and get it for like $14.99 because there is a newer Need for Speed game out right now so people are selling Underground and as a result its pretty cheap.

taking rivernuget suggestions, i switched on "quick load" and also updated the firmware. the discs load a lot faster now.

but i'll keep an eye out on the PS3, looks like it's something i might want to have in the ht/movie room.

Very cool. My Sony S350 is similar with load time. Having that quick load toggled 'on' helps a lot. I'll eventually go the Oppo or Playstation route. Didn't know the benefit of having analog outs when I bought my Sony. Always more to learn and this Forum is where the knowledge is.

Good idea updating the firmware, smokarz. That's something I never think of. Everyone's toilet will need firmware upgrades in the future!

Very cool. My Sony S350 is similar with load time. Having that quick load toggled 'on' helps a lot. I'll eventually go the Oppo or Playstation route. Didn't know the benefit of having analog outs when I bought my Sony. Always more to learn and this Forum is where the knowledge is.

Good idea updating the firmware, smokarz. That's something I never think of. Everyone's toilet will need firmware upgrades in the future!

thanks river,

i am the type of guy that plug it in, play it, and forget about, until something needs fixing. the firmware on the player was v004, the latest is v007. i guess there were quite a few changes.

lol on the toilet......

I have the s360, i didnt put it on the fastboot mode since it keeps the fan on 24/7 and for the amount of time im watching dvd's its just a waste of energy to me.

My biggest gripe with the s360 is that with not one but two s360's, the upconversion of a dvd results in distortions in the videos, the screen jumps or has random static lines run through it and its not constant but intermittent. I tested it with two different HDMI cables and the same issue. When i play a Blu-Ray there isnt a single problem what so ever, crystal clear. Its kinda sad that my ps2 from years ago, i mean the original big one plays it flawlessly whereas my new blu-ray player struggles. The upconversion is a great perk but not at the expense of a crummy picture.