Shuttle Launch

InnerTuber

yeah, i always wanted to see a launch. i saw the first night landing of the shuttle at edwards air force base. very underwhelming from my vantage point--looked like a large plane landing; but, it is awesome when i put it in perspective of where it just returned from.

I saw the very first shuttle launch live and in person. The launch had been scheduled for a Friday but was postponed until Sunday. A buddy and I were at work, we talked briefly, and decided to go see it. We drove all night from New Orleans in my still new Mazda RX7, and got into Orlando early Saturday morning. We got a motel room (I remember the name was "Kings Motel"), took showers, ate breakfast, and then went to Disneyworld. Late in the day we went back to the motel and slept. Then we got up early the next morning and drove the rest of the way to see the launch. Right after the launch we started driving back home. I had a battery operated B&W TV and we we able to catch glimpses of the launch coverage on TV when we were in range of a transmitter. Got back home Sunday evening, and went back to work on Monday . . . [|-)]

Guest davidness

I watched it from the opposite coast (of Florida), near Sarasota, and even all the way across the state, it looked like it was just a few miles away (well, few dozen). I have seen a few launches, but this one was especially clear and sharp. Beautiful.