Cornscala Test Cabinet Build

Pete H

Pete, very nice. Can't wait for the tests to come in. I'm sure others will chime in, but an inexpensive testing solution is the free REW (Room EQ Wizard), found here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/ any pc you want to use, an ECM8000 mic and a phantom power source for the mic. I know there are much better and usually more expensive ways to go, but this worked well enough for my needs.

BTW, what ever happened to the Jamboree idea?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will defiantly check that out as I don't need expensive test equipment, just enough to confirm what I'm hearing and to measure changes that I make. I'm still going to build the Jamboree's, I just got on this first when I pick up a set of Cornwall 2's. I'll probably start the bass bins for the Jamboree's in the next month.

I must admit that I got a little anxious and had to rig up the speaker for a quick listen, so my Beyma's arrived late yesterday, so I cut the ports in, stuffed in some fiberglass for damping, rigged up the crossover out of the Cornwall 2 and fired the bad boy up and I have to admit that on the first listening session, I really like what I'm hearing. I'm going to bring the stock C2 down tonight and give it a run, but I believe it's not going to be much of a contest, even with the wrong crossover and the bass bin not totally done.

Pete, I'm really enjoying this thread. You not done are you?

No I'm not done yet, I have the crossovers coming from Dean this week and have to get the Beyma mounted in it's box and then run tests on the first set up. When that is done and based on the results, I'll finalize the design, test and build the second one. My next post will be when the crossovers get here and I get those mounted up. Stay tuned.[:D]

Got back in last night from State College and Dean's package has arrived. I can't wait to get these installed and give them a listen. Great clean build from Dean and packed so they could have been dropped out of a plane. Thanks Dean.

post-34280-13819583172028_thumb.jpg

Cutting out the front panel for the woofer

Pete, did you make your own circle cutting jig? I am about to embark on a DBB build and have been wondering on the most cost efficient way to cut the double 15" circles in the motorboard.

Drilling Internal Braces with Pocket Jig (You have to have one of these)

Pete, another build question. Since you have the Kreg jig, did you consider using it to 'internally' screw the cabinet sides together? I have a Kreg coming in next week and am planning on using it to internally apply all screws to the cabinet. In this way, I won't have any external screws to fill and sand later. My research indicates these Kreg tools make a very good screw attachment system. Between the internal screws and glue, I am hoping that will be enough.

Drilling Internal Braces with Pocket Jig (You have to have one of these)

Pete, another build question. Since you have the Kreg jig, did you consider using it to 'internally' screw the cabinet sides together? I have a Kreg coming in next week and am planning on using it to internally apply all screws to the cabinet. In this way, I won't have any external screws to fill and sand later. My research indicates these Kreg tools make a very good screw attachment system. Between the internal screws and glue, I am hoping that will be enough.

Hi Rudy, I use this Jasper jig for cutting out circles. This is a very simple and accurate jig and takes minutes to set up on your router and does a great job. You can do simple adjustments on the fly for different size cut out bits. http://www.amazon.com/Jasper-270J-Router-Circle-Cutting/dp/B00009K77B

In regards to the Kreg jig, if you use large enough cleats on the inside of the cabinet you could use the jig, but for connecting the exterior panels you can simply glue and then run screws through the cleats and into the exterior panels with the right size screws. With a strong glue, the screws are really only holding things together until the glue sets, so you just need enough to hold the connection in the proper position. Here's a great way to go, http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductCategoryTB.asp?prodcat=1 but any high strength glue will work. Keep in mind that this test cabinet was constructed to come apart easily to make modifications until I'm satisfied with the design and performance of the BB, and in the final build I will be doing the same things that you're talking about to not have any exposed fasteners with the exception of the rear panel and that will be installed with T bolts. If you don't have a narrow crown air stapler, I can tell you it will be one of the tools you will learn to love if you're building cabinets.

Pete, thanks for all the information. I have been looking at the Jasper Jigs, but for a one time deal, I was mulling the wisdom of spending $40 on that when so many other parts of the project take ready cash.

The Kreg jig should do the job of holding the exterior of the cabinet together along with the glue. I will likely use the air stapler to hold the cleats in place and add stability to the side panels.

My current plan is to paint the cabinets in black lacquer to match my center La Scala.

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I also sent Greg an e-mail for tips since he has worked on many cabinets over the years.

Once I get started I will start a thread to chronical the construction.

Just curious if your crossover is a Cornwall variant or something more?

What woofers do you have to test?

At the moment I have Bobs cast 1526 and the original K34E's but I'm going to pick up another 15 at some point after getting everything done and running some tests on the two I have.