PWK and Speakerlab imitations

DizRotus

I've described this before on this forum, but that was years ago now.

In the 70s I dragged 4 Speakerlab SKhorns around to schools, weddings, etc. I used the plywood from the shipping crates they came in to enclose the backs ( I was ahead of the curve).

They were painted black. When I unloaded the first one using a handtruck, the waiting adolescents would gasp in amazement. Then I'd tell them 3 more were still in the trailer. With a Dynaco ST400 into the 4 ohm load (four 8 ohm speakers) the Dynaco put out 300 watts/channel. The volume was deafening. Without the cues of distortion, it was difficult to recognize how loud the music was.

One advantage of the large speakers was that there was no worry about someone walking off with one. Although, before I enclosed the backs of the top hats with metal screen (hardware cloth), a jr. high kid spun off one of the Atlas squawker drivers. It turned up when the jr.high principal let it be known that there would be no more dances until the driver was returned.

That much SS power was hard on the T35 tweeters. I blew many voice coils. In those days, I could call EV on Monday and a new voice coil would be at my door before the weekend, plus an invoice for less than $20. I'd then mail a check to Electro Voice at 600 Cecil St., Buchanan, MI. Can you imagine a business doing things that way today?

The one time I met PWK, we talked about Khorn kits, clones, etc. He agreed that the abuse I subjected the SKhorns to was not deserved by true Khorns. Regarding kits, he expalined why Klipsch got away from licensing copies and kits, due to an inability to control the end quality.

He then asked, "Do you know what a Patrician is?" I started to say that it was a version of a Khorn made by EV. Before I could get the words out of my mouth, he said, "It's someone who steps out of the shower to take a leak." He was a world class genius and a world class character.

Yes, four real Khorns would have sounded better than 4 Speakerlab copies, but the sound was still incredible. These Skhorns had the EV T35 tweeters, aluminum squawker horns and plywood construction. The crossovers were junk, but they still put out tremendous amounts of clean sound, including window rattling bass. One time a sorotiy girl called to book another date. She asked if the price included the drummer. It was all I could do to convince her that there had never been a drummer at the first event; just four horn-loaded behemoths and 54 lbs. of SS power.

In the 70's ....

That much SS power was hard on the T35 tweeters. I blew many voice coils. In those days, I could call EV on Monday and a new voice coil would be at my door before the weekend, plus an invoice for less than $20. I'd then mail a check to Electro Voice at 600 Cecil St., Buchanan, MI. Can you imagine a business doing things that way today?

• Was that before or after EV shifted to the version of the T35 that would take more power? I've been trying to find out when that shift occured -- do you happen to know?
  • JBL used to do things that way, as well. I dropped an 075 tweeter from a high ladder onto a concrete floor (I was trying to install it above a projection screen). The fall jammed up the ring in this ring radiator, and it made a scraping sound. JBL predicted a $16 repair, but ended up sending a brand new one (value $60), with a lifetime warranty, with the following note: "Your tweeter would have been a pain in the *** to repair, so have a new one, on us. No Charge."
  • Then, of course, there was the famous note to a customer by Paul Klipsch, urging him not to upgrade his rather new Klipschorns until more time had passed and more upgrades had occurred, and urging the customer to give to his favorite charity instead.

You're right OT, I should have told her I was the drummer.

That sorority party at Western Michigan University was the dullest group. Nothing would get them moving. I was surprised that they called back. There were certain songs that were guaranteed to get people dancing, e.g. Long Cool Woman, Back in the USSR, Jesus is Just Alright, that medly by Boston, I've Got The Music in Me (Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker) and others. All failed with that group.

Contrast that to a fraternity (Phi Delta Theta) party at Michigan State University on parents weekend. The students and parents danced all night. The old people danced to the then current music and the young people danced to Glenn Miller, etc. They kept passing the hat to buy another hour.

That mobile DJ biz was a fun way to earn money, but it took a toll on my hearing--not to mention the transmission in my 442, dragging around all of that gear..

GO WINGS!

You're right OT, I should have told her I was the drummer.

Naahhh... Sorrority Girl, not Groupie: "The DJ thing is to save up enough money to finish my final year at Juliard. I'm a classical pianist."

Or, if "rich bad-boy" is the right angle of attack: "Since I was cut off from my trust fund, the DJ thing is to pay for my my final year at Juliard. I'm a classical guitarist."

That sorotity party at Western Michigan University was the dullest group. Nothing would get them moving.

See! Made my point for me! [:P]

I'd been on the hunt for K-Horns for a few years before I spotted a Craigslist ad for Speaker-Lab Ks. They turned out the be DIY in fair/poor cosmetic condition, but built like a tank structurally: The builder was a fine home builder and dragged these things around the late 70s thru the 80s using them as PA speakers for softball, hockey, and other kid events.

I've upgraded them with modified A4500 X-overs and ST350B babycheeks tweeters. Eventually I'll strip them and veneer them, but for now I'm just listening to them: The volume dial rarely passes '2' on my NAD 114 pre, backed by a 2040 (40 WPC) amp.

I've described this before on this forum, but that was years ago now.

In the 70's I dragged 4 Speakerlab SKhorns around to schools, weddings, etc. I used the plywood from the shipping crates they came in to enclose the backs ( I was ahead of the curve).

They were painted black. When I unloaded the first one using a handtruck, the waiting adolescents would gasp in amazement. Then I'd tell them 3 more were still in the trailer. With a Dynaco ST400 into the 4 ohm load (four 8 ohm speakers) the Dynaco put out 300 watts/channel. The volume was deafening. Without the cues of distortion, it was difficult to recognize how loud the music was.

One advantage of the large speakers was that there was no worrry about someone walking off with one. Although, before I enclosed the backs of the top hats with metal screen (hardware cloth), a jr. high kid spun off one of the Atlas squawker drivers. It turned up when the jr.high principal let it be known that there would be no more dances until the driver was returned.

The one time I met PWK, we talked about Khorn kits, clones, etc. He agreed that the abuse I subjected the SKhorns to was not deserved by true Khorns. Regarding kits, he expalined why Klipsch got away from licensing copies and kits, due to an inability to control the end quality.

He then asked, "Do you know what a Patrician is?" I started to say that it was a version of a Khorn made by EV. Before I could get the words out of my mouth, he said, "It's someone who steps out of the shower to take a leak." He was a world class genius and a world class character.

Yes, four real Khorns would have sounded better than 4 Speakerlab copies, but the sound was still incredible. These Skhorns had the EV T35 tweeters, aluminum squawker horns and plywood construction. The crossovers were junk, but they still put out tremendous amounts of clean sound, including window rattling bass. One time a sorotiy girl called to book another date. She asked if the price included the drummer. It was all I could do to convince her that there had never been a drummer at the first event; just four horn-loaded behemoths and 54 lbs. of SS power.

Great story.

Greg