La Scala Rebuild

sootshe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be watching what you do. You are going through exactly what I was thinking on doing to a single laScala to be used for center. It's got some cabinet damage. I wanted to fix that, strengthen the sides and reconfigure the front baffle to incorporate the K510 in lieu of the K400/77 setup. You are creating what I was trying to visualize right before my eyes!

I was however, thinking on making the new side panels say, 3/4" deeper than the LaScala bin. This would give me the original LaScala sidewalls to act as a inner-step that I could then perhaps fabricate a grill to rest against. If my idea would work, it would give support to the grill all the way around the speaker.

Maybe I could just send you my single cabinet? [A]

Sootshe,

I like what you are doing. I think you are heading toward a set of speakers that will be hard to beat. That bass cabinet should be solid as a rock but it's going to take an army to haul them back in the listening room!

Al K.

I thought they would be too cumbersome & heavy also, but because the cabs are split into 3 sections it's not as bad as you would imagine. (Bass reflex cab - W Bin - Mid cab). Plus the ply is reasonably light. I've done the knuckle test & have to say that I'm not overwhelmed by the result. The side panels are completely dead towards the rear of the cabinet, but there still appears to be some ringing towards the front edge........hopefully the resonance will have shifted to an inaudible frequency!!! [:^)]

I'll be watching what you do.  You are going through exactly what I was thinking on doing to a single laScala to be used for center.  It's got some cabinet damage.  I wanted to fix that, strengthen the sides and reconfigure the front baffle to incorporate the K510 in lieu of the K400/77 setup.  You are creating what I was trying to visualize right before my eyes!

I was however, thinking on making the new side panels say, 3/4" deeper than the LaScala bin.  This would give me the original LaScala sidewalls to act as a inner-step that I could then perhaps fabricate a grill to rest against.  If my idea would work, it would give support to the grill all the way around the speaker.

Maybe I could just send you my single cabinet? Angel

The idea you have for the grille should work well.....I like to see the Heritage look of the LS though. (These cabs will have grilles....sort of like the Belle). Gee, if only you'd sent me you're single cab before I finished all the hard work!! [:)]

I've had to veneer the inside of the side panels also......it was too difficult to do this in one piece as you have to go around the brace & the grill stops, so I did it in 2 seperate pieces & had to put a small piece in the middle of the front edge......you can just see it but i'm pretty pleased with how it turned out....it's a lot better than that horrible black staining.

post-32839-13819584133384_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

....& a final one. The light isn't the best to show these to their best, but I'm really pleased with how they turned out. And the sound? Bass is tighter & more defined than before....definitely no more resonances. Greater seperation between the mids & the bass & easier to pick out the bass line.

post-32839-13819598240162_thumb.jpg

post-32839-13819616373788_thumb.jpg

Lovely work, impressive woodworking and the veneer job looks top notch. Absolutely stunning! The bare horn look is growing on me, I'm starting to think I'll order my v-trac horns with no cloth.

Thanks Omodo for your kind comments,

Be careful with the exposed horns. I spent many hours & layers & layers of paint to achieve the finish you see in the photos. Also I had them supplied from ALK in a completely raw finish so I was able to get the desired finish I wanted. Talk to Greg & see if he can help you with this,

John