Filling speaker stands with sand?

Hi guys I have a couple of questions that I could use some help with.
I'm in the process of making speaker stands and I was wondering if there is any benift to filling them with sand or similar type of matterial? I've read a few articales saying it helps and a few that said it dosnt do anything.can someone help clarify this for me.

Second question.
I am going to use speaker spikes on the bottom of the stands, what should I do for the top of the stands where the speaker will rest? Should I leave it bare and have the speaker just rest on the stand, use smaller spikes, or just use felt pads?

Well thank you in advance, I sure could use some help

In regard to your question about filling the stands with sand or similar material, first tell us where these speakers are to used. (ground floor, 2nd floor, slab foundation or pier & beam, etc.) This will make some difference in responses to your question.

I've read a few articles saying it helps and a few that said it doesn't do anything

I would guess that they would help to hold your speakers/stand to the floor under small earthquake conditions--of course, the downside being that any "speaker spikes" might put a slightly larger indentation into the floor than they would otherwise. [:|]

EDIT: I don't know if they would keep them on the floor during large Rayleigh waves, but they'd certainly help with the Love waves... [8-|]

Chris

Hay Boxx, the stands will be setup in my basement (slab floor) with foam underlay and 11mm (3/8inch) laminate flooring. I was going to put spikes on the bottom in case I ever decide to carpet my basement.
As far as filling them with sand I heard I would get better bass response???? I'm still new to the audio world so I don't know if that's just a myth?

Thanks in advance

I know that sand was used to reduce cabinet resonances, but this was in the cabinet, not in the stand. When I used speaker stands, I used a model that was hollow, and coated with high density rubber foam to reduce stand resonances. I don't know about increasing bass response.

From Wikipedia.."In the 1950s and 1960s, Wharfedale became famous for its technique of eliminating cabinet resonances by using a double cabinet, with the space between the inner and outer shells filled with sand. Purchasers of the loudspeaker systems would receive the appropriate quantity of sand which had been shipped from Wharfedale in England."

I know that sand was used to reduce cabinet resonances, but this was in the cabinet, not in the stand. When I used speaker stands, I used a model that was hollow, and coated with high density rubber foam to reduce stand resonances. I don't know about increasing bass response. From Wikipedia.."In the 1950s and 1960s, Wharfedale became famous for its technique of eliminating cabinet resonances by using a double cabinet, with the space between the inner and outer shells filled with sand. Purchasers of the loudspeaker systems would receive the appropriate quantity of sand which had been shipped from Wharfedale in England."

Maybe I will just leave the stands alone then, if there is no real benifit to adding sand. The stands are made from 1 1/8 inch solid oak so they are very sturdy so I can only assume that they should'nt resonate.

PS I used to live in Stoney Creek, I never heard your khorns tho