Where does the F-1 stand today?

infurno

Never really cared much about audio until I bought a set of 5 Klipsch F-1 speakers for $150 each last month. I'm really impressed with the sound, listening to everything as if for the first time. Just got a SW-450 and ordered parts to build my own 15" subwoofer. This is turning into a bit of an obsession and I'm exploring to see if I can get even more.

Looking around, Polk has the Audio Monitor 70 at $219. All the numbers make it look like a superior speaker, except for the Sensitivity at 90dB...

I'm thinking about selling my 5 Klipsch F-1 speakers and replace them with the Polk 70. I understand that the opinions here may be somewhat biased, but so am I. I'd like to stick to the klipsch brand, but also looking for the most bang for my buck.

It's a 2004 speaker... Where does the F-1 stand today?

Do I have anything to gain by switching to Polk 70?

I can't actually listen to the polk and see for myself since it would be an online order.

The polk monitor 70s were on sale for $300 a pair not too long ago. I really love the looks of the polk rtia5 7 9s. I would say that yes the monitor 70s would be a better speaker than the f1 but they will surely sound different than each other by a bit. Of course the klipsch has the horn tweeter and are super efficient. I am not a big fan of the looks on the monitor series, tsi are better but i really love the rtia series. Personally i would have a hard time selling speakers that i just bought unless i could recoup 75% of my money or more. Long story short yes i think you can do better than the f1s

I'd suggest that you listen to the system that you have for a little while and think about what you want to be listening to some time in the future. If you eventually want to get some pretty serious speakers, it's much less costly to save up for a bit and then buy the ones you really want, rather than trading up in small step after small step.

Check out the Reference and the Heritage Series. In each case, you'd be into a whole different league of sound quality from what you're accustomed to right now.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I should have done more homework before

buying the F-1. I'm fairly confident I can sell them without a loss...

That's the only reason I'm entertaining the idea. But I'm still new to

this. I read a lot about the aluminum compression driver, the accuracy,

quality, and unique sound of klipsch. The Polk 70 has 5 drivers for

bass, mid, and tweeter. The frequency response is 40-24kHz -3dB and

lower sensitivity. I have a feeling that the F-1 will still sound

better.

Putting a lot of thought into building my own speakers. Swans Speakers

Hi-Vi drivers in a series on a 3 way xo. Modeling in WinISD, the

prospects look great. However, I understand there is a lot more to it

than crunching numbers so I thought about maybe building one and see

how well it works...

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said; yes there are other plateaus of listening bliss.

But I agree; listen to them for awhile so you know what you want.

You could really save some dough by looking around online (craigslist; kiji; etc) for used speakers.

My entire system is used; I just scored some KG 1.5s for $25. (These went for about $300-$400 a set new).

Granted; mine are not mint; but I can make them minty again......

Good Luck....... And just know that your F1s provide a better listening experience than 50-60% of the speakers out there. Many people have no idea what good sound is.....[Y]

You could really save some dough by looking around online (craigslist; kiji; etc) for used speakers.

I'm very reluctant to buy any used audio equipment. The way I understand it,
buying used high end speakers is like buying a
used sports car. It may have been babied or put through hell by the previous
owners. I'm sure there are deals out there if you know what to look
for... At the moment I don't.

When it comes to speakers its pretty easy to buy used equipment. They either work or they don't. If a seller is willing to let you listen to speakers before you buy them you won't have any problem telling if they're working properly or not.

EVERYTHING in my signature listed below (except my HDTV, Wii and power filter) was purchased used.

• Moderators

I'm very reluctant to buy any used audio equipment. The way I understand it, buying used high end speakers is like buying a used sports car. It may have been babied or put through hell by the previous owners. I'm sure there are deals out there if you know what to look for... At the moment I don't.

Not true

The surrounds do not rot on Klipsch like many speakers and if the drivers are working when you buy them they will last for many many years.

Now the Ebay or Craiglist part is kind of scary, but listen first pay after your happy everything is working, and try to buy off of forum members who have been around for a while that is safer.

" Re: Where does the F-1 stand today?

I would hope right where you left them ? [:o]

EVERYTHING in my signature listed below (except my HDTV, Wii and power filter) was purchased used.

Everything except 1 pair of my my pro media 2.1s (computer speakers) were found used as well.

This includes my receiver as well.....

Not to beat a dead horse; but I saved between 50-80% versus purchasing new......

Not to beat a dead horse; but I saved between 50-80% versus purchasing new......

Buying my La Scalas and Belles used saved me a lot more than that. Of course, I didn't get any warranty, no thrill of opening the boxes, no lovely scratch-free cabinets, but I got La Scalas and Belles at prices I could afford, and that's why I'm able to hear that great Heritage sound every day.

In response to OP, I've had a lot of experience with a Polk RTi setup (RTi8, RTi6, and CSi3, specifically, with Monitor 30 rear surrounds) and I believe sincerely that Klipsch's Synergy line holds its own against the more expensive Polks. As for the Monitor, my only experience is with the smallest bookshelf 30 version, but it was very nasal/resonant with male vocals and the treble was tizzy and distorted easily... the Synergy tweeter is surprisingly refined for the cost.

If you're going to upgrade or change things up in the same price bracket, there are lots of great options out there like PSB Alpha/Image, Infinity Primus/Classia, Energy, etc... I don't want to unfairly brand-bash, but Polk isn't really competetive against similarly priced competitors.