How I entertained myself this weekend

jhoak

So four or five years ago I had this really nice Music Hall MMF-5 table that I sold to a fellow on the left coast so I could do an upgrade. Unfortunately the boys in brown decided to do some major modifications by way of a fork lift. After several months of debate they finally paid the claim and I was left with a box of parts. Some trashed, some usable. Oh well... Fast forward to today...

A couple of months ago I got a good deal on a Sumiko MMT arm thinking that I would use it as part of the rebuild of the MMF-5. Well... yesterday I got inspired or ambitious or whatever and dove in. Here's the results...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The upper plinth is completely new construction consisting of two layers of 1/2" birch plywood and veneered in red oak and oiled to match my La Scalas.

I haven't yet dialed it the cartridge setup but it's pretty close. As it is it sounds very nice. It looks pretty good too. I'll probably buy a new dustcover and rebuilding the lower plinth to match the upper is now on the project list.

Will it replace my Clearaudio Emotion? Probably not. It will however make for a nice table to play those garage sale records rather than put my DL-103 at risk.

I'm pretty pleased... [:D]

I think it'll look a lot better once I deal with the lower plinth and make it match the upper plinth. Of course there's the trashed dustcover to deal with as some point too.

The lower plinth will actually be more difficult to rebuild than the upper was. There's a LOT of fine routing to be done to replicate the lower plinth. I suspect that I'll need to either be really really bored or really really inspired before I take that project on.

I've been spinning albums since I finished it and I have to say that I think I might just like it better than my Clearaudio Emotion. I won't make that judgement final until I move the Denon cartridge over but I'm pretty impressed so far.

I've always wanted to try one of these tables with a higher mass plinth. Have you thought about adding a couple layers of wood?

The design of the table doesn't lend its self to adding much more wood. At least not to the upper plinth. What I built is 1/8" thicker than the original. That caused some issues getting everything lined up just right. Short of additional mass by way of lead or like material the top plinth is maxed out. The bottom plinth however could easilly be added to thickness and mass wise.

I gave momentary thought to laminating a layer of lead between the plywood just to add to the mass of the upper plinth. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't because of the additional thickness.

If I do end up with this guy as my primary table I'll be doing some of the upgrades like an acrylic platter and perhaps one of the machined metal sub-platters.