How old are these caps?

img.php?i=100608060807938496.jpgHi, first of all thanks for the advice to keep the finish raw on my Decorator Cornwalls. Today I opened them up to have a look at the crossovers, expecting to find some old leaky worn out looking caps. But much to my suprise the caps were the old metal kind ,but look shiny and new, with no leaking. I bought these corns from the second owner, who thought they had never been recapped, but they just look so shiny compared to most of the pics I have seen of old Klipsch crossovers. The Brand is "Aerovox" Can anyone give an idea of how old they are and if i should still look into recapping anyway?

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted Image

Guest David H

I replaced the same type in my Herseys with Crites caps and I can't hear any difference at all.

The caps in you Heresy's may have been good, hard to say without testing them. I heard or I atleast think I heard a signifigant improvment when I replaced my original caps in my Cornwalls with Sonicaps from Bob.

Dave

Yes, they might have been good. Who knows? I'm still happy to have the new caps anyway. By the way, I put new Crites crossovers in my La Scalas and they sound awesome. I'm sure thay are not ALK good?, but the price was right and they are good enough for me.

I had the same caps in my Cornwalls and put off changing them out for Sonicaps because the speakers sounded good to my ears. When I finally put in new caps the sound was much improved; the result was a much more balanced sound and I'm sorry I didn't make the change sooner.

The only downside for me was that tube rolling in my amp no longer has a big effect on the sound.

The old crossovers that look like hell are the ones that have been exposed to the elements like the open back of Belle La Scala and khorn. I've opened up old Heresy only to see beautifully preserved crossovers. Do this affect longevity? It makes me less likely to want to remove them.

Thank you for all the help. These crossovers are from 78 cornwalls, and after finding out here they were original caps I took them to Vancouver Speaker Clinic expecting to need a recap job. They tested the crossovers and said they are still working properly.

Thank you for all the help. These crossovers are from 78 cornwalls, and after finding out here they were original caps I took them to Vancouver Speaker Clinic expecting to need a recap job. They tested the crossovers and said they are still working properly.

That is cool.

The caps Klipsch used at that time are paper in oil. This have a lot of loss even when brand new (Q=200 or so). Sonicaps will show far less loss by at lease a factor a 5 (Q=1000). This will let more energy through to the tweeter giving you a crisper sound. With the old caps the loss will be even greater and the change even more dramatic.

Al K.

Bob Crites emailed me a picture of that type cap with its insides out! It isn't a paper cap. It's hard to tell what it is from the picture. He claims they have an ESR of about 1 Ohm. If it's 4 uF at 1 Khz, that only a Q of 40! That's VERY poor!

Q = 1 / (2 * pi * F * C) / ESR = 1 / (6.28 * 1000 * 4e-6) / 1 = 40

A 3.0 uF Sonicap I happened to have measures 2.997 uF D=.00033. That is Q = roughly 3000. ESE=.017 Ohm

Q = 1/ (2 * pi * 1000 * 3e-6) / .017 = 3120

BTW: The ESR and Q will be worse at 6000 Hz than it is at 1000 Hz.

Al K.