I need help

adding an RSW, wow, that is great. this was talked about earlier, same situation, but i don't remember where.

yes, that would work, and should sound pretty amazing, especially when/if you finish the setup for a home theater.

wish the women in my life held audio in such regard as you...

what kind of music do you listen to?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

you could use them together for bass reinforcement, I would put the KSW 12 up to my sofa, or try with positioning to fight bass cancellation. Or just stack them up in a corner and try it that way.

either way, I personally think the RSW-15 will be enough unless you have a huge room. this is a beast, and you could probably resell the KSW 12 without a big performance hit. but if you have the occasion, definitely try it, it could be worth your time!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

I suspect that for music a pair of RF-7's and a KSW 12 or an RSW 15 would be a glorious setup. I also feel that using both subwoofers would be overkill.

I have heard music systems with multiple subwoofers and while at one level they can be impressive - I have yet to hear one that displayed a natural balance between the bass and the rest of the spectrum - probably because the guy/gal who has umpteen subwoofers is inclined to want to show off the bottom end power of their systems and eventually trains their ears to believe that floor shaking,window rattling,bowel churning bass is "Natural" even when listening to a feather dulcimer.cwm1.gif

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-26-2002 at 09:28 PM

Lynnm, I couldn't agree with you more!

When people find out that I have a 7' tall pair of stacked SVS Ultras powered by a 1,000 watt Samson... that is capable of exceeding the Dolby Reference Standard for Theaters (121.5 dB), they ask "How can you stand music that loud, HornEd?" Arggghh cwm23.gif

Just because someone has the potential to get below 20Hz and pump out over 121.5 dB's has nothing to do with how loud you prefer to listen. The purpose of the equipment is to portray the DVD or music in the most natural way within the limits of the equipment.

I like the live sound of concerts... that's why I bought over two dozen Klipsch speakers for one household. In real life things like big bass drums can go as low as 5Hz and their are many harmonics above 20kHz that some folks thinks adds a dimension to sound that they can actually hear.

The widest range of the sound spectrum most people encounter probably comes out of dts or DD DVD's. To have equipment that can reproduce the spectrum of such recorded sound adds to the HT experience. Very loud sounds, like explosions, etc. usually only last for a fraction of a second... but if you have the equipment, you will get that message... and at a fraction of a second for the truly loud part... you are not likely to damage your ears... but you will take notice.

If people walk out of my HT saying, "HornEd that's the most live and natural sound I have ever experienced in or out of a theater"... only then do I feel a sense of pride in what I have assembled... thanks to PaulK and the Klipsch corporate family. -HornEd

PS: LadyKlipschFan it sounds like you are enjoying a two channel system with a subwoofer handling the really low bass. The RF-7's are very musical... and, from what I understand, the KSW-15 is the most musical and robust sub that Klipsch has ever made. Or at least that's what my friendly neighborhood Klipsch SALESMAN told me... cwm34.gif

With a little more information about the type of equipment you have, the kind of listening/viewing that you prefer, and what kind of a system you want to have... would help us make better quality suggestions.

Glad to see you aboard and posting LadyKlipschFan! -HornEd

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo needs update! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-27-2002 at 12:20 AM

I'd suggest that you think about a center and surrounds before going to a second sub.

I say that with the thought that you can tweek the placement of the sub or other bass management settings.

On the other hand, a center is going to add a new dimension which is widely appreciated. Surrounds will help with the right recorded material.

I can understand that "more wire" more complexity is an issue. Nonetheless, this is probably a better next step.

Gil

Wow! I am really happy and thrilled with all your response. Since I was a child I really love music and eventually learn to appreciate good sound. When my co-workers learn that I ordered a $2,500.00 receiver (I believe Marantz SR9200, whatever that is), they said I'm stupid. A guy co-worker said, for the same amount I could have bought a nice and superior Bose system. I never really told him that I already have at least 3 Bose Lifestyle systems returned (after spending some money for someone to assemble). It's very ironic, but a guy from a Bose store told me that if I want good music system, first I need to buy a good "receiver". That's where I got the idea. I am ignorant but I assumed a $2,500 receiver should at least give me something. I plan to have a complete system in two weeks. Thanks again.

The RSW-15 is an impressive sub with high output capability. I think Gil is steering you in the right direction. You should have a VERY good reciever to build a Home Theater system around. To do that will require a center and surround speakers; ideally ones intended to go with your RF-7s. Due to the popularity of multi-speaker Home theater systems, audio recordings are now being made in multi channel and many sound really good. The Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" DVD is one that quickly comes to mind. In addition, your reciever is probably capable of turning 2-channel CDs into multi-channel audio using internal trickery. I don't know how well it does it. My Preamp/Processor has some special effect settings ("modes") that work very well and some that don't.

I use 2 subwoofers in my system to great effect. If you want to use a second sub you can and should not expect both of them to sound bad when used together. There are several ways to hook up 2 subs. When you get ready to do it, post another question. We have several here who have tried it many different ways.

John

I just called the Klipsch dealer where I purchased the RF-7 and KSW-12. The dealer said I can return the KSW-12 and buy the RSW-15 instead. So I will end up with 1 sub , RSW-15. I will also buy today the center and surround speakers. I would probably just follow whatever the Klipsch dealer's suggestion (on center and surround). I already called my nice neighbor if he can help me with the speaker setup later. I never thought I would be able to "build" my music system (now hometheater) this fast!

My system will be:

Marantz SR9200

RF-7

RSW15

??? (center)

??? (surround)

Again, thanks guys.

This message has been edited by ladyklipschfan on 03-27-2002 at 02:23 PM

just thought it would save you time to know that the normal matches are the RC-7 for the center and RS-7s for the surrounds.

I would like to add, however, that I think for modern movie soundtracks, the WDST approach Klipsch is using for their surround is not optimal, the dispersion is too wide. It worked better for prologic, but now direct-radiating (normal-style) speakers are more appropriate, IMHO of course. Not to mention that, and again this is only my opinion, that multichannel music DEFINITELY sounds better with direct-radiating speakers as surrounds.

I would go with RB-3s or RB-5s for the surrounds, most likely I would go with two pairs of RB-3s for good, relatively inexpensive, 6.1 sound.

BTW, kudos on the Marantz choice, they make very good products.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 03-27-2002 at 03:12 PM

Guess what? The back of my Range Rover is now full of stuff. I purchased RC7,RS7, NAD CD/DVD player, tons of cables and a leather Berkline Shiatsu Massager (yes, my Klipsch dealer sells them too). I am just waiting for someone to help me unload the massager. Anyway, I lived with my mom and an older sister, so no boys to carry heavy stuff. I plan to post pictures when everything is done. Note: RSW15 is not in stock, but said I would be getting it this week.

This message has been edited by ladyklipschfan on 03-27-2002 at 06:24 PM

quote:

Originally posted by ladyklipschfan:

Guess what? The back of my Range Rover is now full of stuff.B]

OMG! this is sounding SOOO familiar Smile.gif I used to have a range rover... all of my audio and video equiptment up to late this summer came home in my Land Rover Range Rover with what... 400 watt A/D/S speaker system... I loved it, lost the beaut in a flood though, thought it was totally water tight, but i guess a storm like Allisson was just too much for my little green girl. I miss her so. Which one do you have? how do you like it? can i move in with you? i know you would love to have a 17 year old range rover love'n klipsch digg'n to keep things in check Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

i had the 1998 i believe Range Rover and it died with only 23,000 miles on it. bought it with like 8,000. guy who owned it before me went on trips X-country in the summer, decided that just for summer use it was not worth it. so i got a great deal. he did not even know it had a CD player in it... a 6 disk no doubt haha. my dad also had one, his was older, a 1994. It was just like mine, but older. same color and whatnot. my brother totalled his Discovery... what an... Smile.gif we sold my dad's and now we own not a single SUV out here. we do have a G500 type mercedes SUV, but it is not in the US, and is the original model, a classic, not the new ones, ouch, look at that price! They remind me a lot of the Land Rover Defender.

well enough about cars, enjoy your speakers!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Screw speakers!!! Let's talk cars!!!

I read a review for the G500. Oh my GOD that thing rated high! They said it beat the tar out of Land Rover, Jeep (not too hard...), and everything else. One problem. It is too nice to take off road... $80,000 is not a toy...

I also read a review for the 2003 Range Rover. Oh my! Also too nice to take off road. Only the reviewers that DO NOT own one say it is great to take off road. I would not even what to take it on gravel fro fear of cosmetics!

One question. I am looking at getting a 1991-1994 BMW 535i, and comments? It is a ~220HP six with leather, and all the goodies that its $35,000 sticker price gave it.

That RSW-15 will be great, hope you enjoy it!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Hi

Here is my SUV comments.

Being from Wisconsin and a life long hunter - I need and use my SUV's to get into the back woods.

I love my jeep - Not too big very agile. Gets me anywhere (with a winch of course).

I have looked at the BMW when I bought my Mercedes ML430. The BMW is NOT designed for offroad use AT ALL. If all you do is drive arround town you will be OK.

The Mercedes is a great off road vehicle unless you like to fling mud. The wheels will NOT break loose evan in sand or mud. I personally have climbed more than 45 degree grades in the ML (Dont tell my wife - she would kill me) That is what the jeep is for!!!!

Toyota makes great off road trucks as well - though I have never owned one...

JM

Oh god! I would never take a Beemer off road! They are SPORT cars. I like the Mercedez G500. A true piece of automotive engineering:-) I fthere was a misunderstanding (don't think so) the 535i is a CAR for the CITY. Just want a posh preppy car to enjoy. I have a 89' Chevy for my off road shinanigans.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!