I Tested Five Different Tweeters In My Khorns

"I simply plugged in different tweeters into the top of a Khorn and listened to the results.  I then put what I heard into words and presented it to my customers just as though they were a friend, interested in what I've done.  It's an artistic and subjective approach. 

I'm simply taking those products and plugging them into a specific system and analyzing what I hear, just like any casual audiophile would like to do." Quote Greg 928 GTS.

The problem arises though when what you perceive as good is perceived in a different manner by someone else.

I recently purchesed a set of Beyma tweeters (CP 21's) from you which you described as "not as good as the CP25's but still very good".

In my opinion they were complete rubbish & I sold them straight away....the Crites 125's fitted with Baby cheeks flares blew them out of the water. [8-)]

"I recently purchesed a set of Beyma tweeters (CP 21's) from you which
you described as "not as good as the CP25's but still very good".
In my opinion they were complete rubbish & I sold them straight
away....the Crites 125's fitted with Baby cheeks flares blew them out
of the water."

That's interesting. That's one tweeter I have been interested in myself. I suspect that the reason you rejected it is because of the slot it's based on. A slot is used in constant directionality horns to get dispersion. They have a reputation of sounding like a "frying pan". That, of course, is another one of those universal pseudo-descriptive terms like "smooth" and "silky" that relay mean nothing. "Silky" is one that was often used to describe ionic tweeters that generate intermodulation distortion like crazy! I would love to put a set of tones through a CP 21 just see if that is what is what you were hearing. I found that the small aperture hole in the CP25 and JBL 2404 caused distortion if you ran them up too loud. I suspect it might be the same thing going on.

Al K.

Sootshe, I was wondering if the baby cheeks horn you used was a Selenium HM17-25?

No, it was the Eminence APT200 horn mounted to the CT125......you need to use a screw on adaptor as well. If you need some I'm sure Bob C will get them for you.....Cheers, John [:)]

That's interesting.  That's one tweeter I have been interested in myself.  I suspect that the reason you rejected it is because of the slot it's based on.  A slot is used in constant directionality horns to get dispersion.  They have a reputation of sounding like a "frying pan". That, of course, is another one of those universal pseudo-descriptive terms like "smooth" and "silky" that relay mean nothing.  "Silky" is one that was often used to describe ionic tweeters that generate intermodulation distortion like crazy!  I would love to put a set of tones through a CP 21 just see if that is what is what you were hearing. I found that the small aperture hole in the CP25 and JBL 2404 caused distortion if you ran them up too loud. I suspect it might be the same thing going on.

Al K.

Well, I didn't need to run them loud to produce the nasties that came from these......they made cymbals sound like trash cans...there was never any shimmer or quality to cymbals.....on almost any recording, they had an unpleasant sizzle that produced the most unlife like quality I've ever heard......and I'm comparing these to CT125's, Altec 902's, JBL slots (2405?).

If you have compared them directly to a similar tweeter from JBL, then my slot theory is out the window! The little round aperture of the JBL 2404 and Beyma CP25 both did the same thing at high level. If a slot was the cause it would have sounded the same way no matter the brand. That mystery will just have to remain for another day!

Al K.

I remember being part of the original ABX testing back in the 70's when the "16 blind samples" was enough detect if there was a difference between components. Pre amps were the first to fall and some power amps, but one could immediately detect differences between speakers.

All sound LEVELS had to be matched to within 0.1 db on electronics, otherwise the louder one would sound better.

Since speakers are grossly off from each other relative to amplifiers, how would one truly match tweeters up, even within 0.5 db (5x worse than amplifiers) for a listening test?

• 10 months later...