LaScala's......interesting

SWL

Interesting points by the "non-lovers".

Leads me to wonder why so many folks here run their La Scalas with either tube gear or "upgrades" with different midrange/tweeter horns and drivers?

I don't think that poll is just for scala's. I bet if you polled those same people about horns in general, they probably vote "dislike"

Seems most people either "Love or Hate" Horns, so that means love or hate's klipsch.

From reading all over the internet seems the poll for the scala applies almost directly to klipsch.

I enjoy mine, but can understand where people see room for improvement.

The low frequency extension isn't my biggest complaint as it is for others. Mine is the missing detail of the High End in comparison to the Titanium drivers in the RF 7's and RF 5's.

I may be running to Bob, for new tweets soon. Also Need new diaphrams for the squawkers. I don't know what the woofers look like, but all in all they sound pretty dang good.

From reading all over the internet seems the poll for the scala applies almost directly to klipsch.

I would tend to agree with that.

Since I've made advancements recently to a three-way Klipsch speaker and tubes, my Klipsch sound less and less like Klipsch that I've been accustomed to. That is, a two-way design with various solid state amps and preamps.

The magic truly is in the midrange. The tubes told me so. [;)]

It is pretty interesting. I picked up some LS's and upgraded the tweeter and crossover from Crites. It is a pretty big difference. I went from the AL crossover to the BK 4500 and the Eminence tweeter.

I also picked up some Altec Valencia 846's hooked up to my Rotel. They are an impressive 2 way.

Speakers in general are frustrating. I listen to all kinds of music and unfortunately I haven't heard a set of speakers that make everything sound awesome.

I did pick up a Pass Labs Aleph J clone and that sounds really nice with the LS's. It is amazing what preamp, with what amp, with what speakers, with what music, sounds the best.

I just picked up a Mcintosh HT-2 sub to fill in the bass gap. I will see how that goes when it gets here.

Speakers in general are frustrating. I listen to all kinds of music and unfortunately I haven't heard a set of speakers that make everything sound awesome.

I've found that the source is normally the cause of frustration as opposed to the speakers themselves.

I did notice that everything sounded better once I went with the Denon 3930 over my Oppo for CD's. Maybe I just have sensitive ears, when I have friends over they don't seem to be bothered by some of the things that bother me. I always have amazing detail on my setups but that tended to go hand in hand with the brightness of my setup.

Maybe I will get out of this 2 channel business and switch to headphones. [:P]

There is a strong argument for the quality of the source directly affecting the resulting sound.

I have a 128kbs MP3 of stairway to heaven, and also a 320kbs copy.........

I played one that switched to the other and the difference is startling.

My quest has been getting all of my recordings, MP3s, etc up to 320kbs or better..... (FLAC).

It hakes more room on the hard drive but it is well worth it to my ears.....