Slight thumping sound when turning on amps

Phredd47

Hello,

If it matters, I'm using 2 Rotel RB-1070's plugged into a Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner going into My RF-83's. Lately I've been disconnecting spkr cables until I turn amps on. The thump is not really bad, just slight.

Prior to power conditioner I was using a Monster Cable HTS-2000 with just the one RB-1070 and had no thump on turn on. So I didn't know if it was due to my bridging of amps or the change to the power conditioner.

Guess what I'm wanting to know is whether any harm will come to speakers.

Thanks

Fred

One of my amps thumps a little, BUT it does it when turned off ?

Power amps should be the very last component turned on when powering up, and the first components turned off when powering down. Turning a pre-pro/receiver/pre-amp off when the power amps are on will give you the dreaded "THUMP". That's why I asked for the order the OP turned things off and on.

Thanks for the replies. Like the humorous ones too (fini).

Turning on I go: pre-amp, cd, amp, amp. Off I reverse the process. One other that I forgot to mention, and I had another system in past do it, is after maybe 5-10 seconds of amp being turned off, a slight whine can be heard through spkrs.

Thanks

Fred

• Moderators

is after maybe 5-10 seconds of amp being turned off, a slight whine can be heard through spkrs.

Thanks

So you must have female speakers, [:)] if whenever you walked into the room your speakers were turned and looking at other speakers then there male ! [:P]

• Moderators

One of my amps thumps a little, BUT it does it when turned off ?

Power amps should be the very last component turned on when powering up, and the first components turned off when powering down. Turning a pre-pro/receiver/pre-amp off when the power amps are on will give you the dreaded "THUMP". That's why I asked for the order the OP turned things off and on.

With this amp it makes no difference if it's first, last or the only thing turned on. The other amp which is exactly the same makes no sound and there connected to the same speakers but on the other channel. There is NO crossovers in the speakers so that may have something to do with that last drop of power causing a thump ?

In the workshop I have a single amp like these, there Crown D-75's, on the speakers out there. When I turn off the amp first the speakers still play for at least 10 seconds before they stop with a very small thump, those amps apparently store alot of electricity ?

In the workshop I have a single amp like these, there Crown D-75's, on the speakers out there. When I turn off the amp first the speakers still play for at least 10 seconds before they stop with a very small thump, those amps apparently store alot of electricity ?

Most likely the capacitors. When my Behringer powers down, there's no sound, but the signal and/or power lights stay on for 10 to 15 secs after the switch is turned off, then dim to off.