Need advice on my next step

mbr311

So I have through the years built up my HT system to what I have in my signature. Due to some medical bills (because of a lengthy 9 month stay) I can't buy anything in the near future, but what I can do (and what I'm really good at doing to be honest) is to start putting money aside little-by-little to save up for my next purchase.

I guess I need some guidance in regards to what I should start saving for. I'm not really sure what the next logical step would be for me to improve my HT. I know getting better mains and a center channel would obviously be a great upgrade but that would take me a long time to save up for (or unitl I get off disability and get back into the job market). But the thing is, overall with the room I have everything set up in, I am pretty darned happy with what I have.

So what would everyone's recommendation be on something I could do to improve my current setup. Would it be to get an amp? Or is it just a situation where it really comes down to the mains and the center and that would by far be the most beneficial thing to just hold on and wait for, and hopefully come across a really good sale on this board? Thanks everyone, you have always helped me with any question I have so I appreciate it!

Mark

• Moderators

I agree with BigCliff. I larger sub would really improve your movie watching experience. The RB-35's do not produce that much bass and I don't think adding an amp to them would make that drastically of a difference.

You are wise to save up your money, even if it takes you a long time to do so. I have found that Klipsch speakers actually sound better when they are paid for. [:D]

As I have shared many times before, there are fantastic deals to be found in the used market. Just continue to look in the Garage Sale, and especially Craigslist. Not sure if I ever shared my story but I had a Velodyne F1500 subwoofer (15" with 250 watt amp). I'm always looking on CL to see what deals are out there. One day, there was a Velodyne HGS15 for sale. I knew nothing about that series but a quick Google search showed that it was also a 15" sub but it had a 1250 watt amp in piano black finish and it even had XLR inputs. I drove and hour to pick it up and bought it for $200. The going price for the F1500 was around $450 so I listed it on CL for $350 and sold it within a few weeks.

I made money on the upgrade. It's probably one of the best deals I have found on CL to date.

From a sub perspective I have heard really good things about the

Emotiva subs being sold right now so maybe I can look in that market, or

wait and see what people are doing with their old subs that go ahead

and by the Emotivas. I guess logically I could get an Emotiva for

fairly cheap in the sense that I could buy one for let's say $400 and

probably sell my RW-10d on Craigslist for like $300 or so. So really a

$100 upgrade or something to that effect.

Also in regards to a

center channel, considering my current setup, what would you recommend?

An RC-64 or an RC-7?

BTW in comparing the Sub12 (Synergy

Series) to the RW-10d (Reference Series) I don't think its worth it.

RW-10d

- 28-120hz, 260watts continuous, 575watts Dynamic Power, 112db@30hz,

10" cerametallic cone front firing woofer, 260watt RMS amplifier

Sub-12 - 24-120hz, 300watts continuous, 650watts Dynamic Power, 117db@30hz, 12" fiber composite cone down firing woofer, 300watt Bash amplifer

Just don't see a big difference between the two to be quite frank unless I'm misunderstanding the specs. Seems like I'd need to do more of an upgrade to get a sub that goes down in the 15hz range. I haven't checked the Emotiva specs yet, but the RSW-12 would certainly fit the bill but that might be out of my budget. I probably should have just gotten the RW-12d when I had the chance but that still only goes down to 24hz, it just has a 350watt amplifier and has 825watts of dynamic power.

Edit: I looked up the specs on the Emotiva Ultra 10 and 12 and they really don't go below 22hz, the 10 doesn't seem to be much better than what I have and the 12 goes down to 22hz but has 300watts continuous, 500watts dynamic. So even those don't seem to be a big difference. Sounds like I need to keep my eye out for a RSW-10 or RSW-12 but even though they have tons more watts of power/amplifier, they still don't go below 22hz. What would I need to look for to get me in the sub 15-20hz range?

• Moderators

True. I haven't heard either one of them, just knew many people say it is a good bang for your buck sub.

If you want deep bass, I say go for a 15" sub. The Velodyne F1500 and HGS15 goes down to 18hz.

The SVS subs will do the trick as well. Even the budget friendly PB12-NSD dips down to 18hz.

True. I haven't heard either one of them, just knew many people say it is a good bang for your buck sub.

If you want deep bass, I say go for a 15" sub. The Velodyne F1500 and HGS15 goes down to 18hz.

The SVS subs will do the trick as well. Even the budget friendly PB12-NSD dips down to 18hz.

Ok let me ask you a follow-up question. That PB12-NSD looks wicked but it is $599. I think I could find a used RC-7 for around that price. I don't think I've seen RC-64's dip that low used, but I'm pretty sure I've seen RC-7s dip that low. Would it be better to replace the RC-35 since it seems to me that the center channel is the most important speaker in your arsenal since it handles over 60% of the dialogue and just stick with my RW-10d? I mean to be quite frank, I actually like the sub I currently have. I know it doesn't dip that low frequency wise, but to me it does that job and for the most part I am happy with it. So would it make more sense to go after a used RC-7 for around that price, or is the sub so integral to the setup that you think its a better first step? Another point: I only really have the sub on when my wife's not around, she doesn't so much like the thumping bass. So I guess I'm answering my own question, seems that looking for a used RC-7 might be a better choice for me at this point in time. And I assume an upgrade to an RC-7 over my current RC-35 would be a BIG step up quality wise. Thoughts? Thanks!

• Moderators

That PB12-NSD looks wicked but it is $599. I think I could find a used RC-7 for around that price.

You can find the RC-7 much cheaper than $599. I paid $571 NIB for my RC-64 from my local dealer when Klipsch was discontinuing the cherry finish and marked them all down.

The RC-7 is a great center channel and would likely be a nice upgrade from your center.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/137405.aspx

Here is your RC7, unopened..... (BNIB).

WOW! Too bad I have to save up for it, I can't drop $435 on it right now. But at least that gives me a goal, gotta save up to around $400-500 to get what I want. Wish I could pick that bad-boy up right now trust me, but I couldn't justify it with my current medical bills. So down the road hopefully I can find a deal like that again. Thanks for pointing it out though. Also thanks for everyone's help I think I know what I want to do next which is aim for that RC-7

No it does not get low enough better but not enough for a drastic improvement. I love Klipsch speakers, but I think their Subs are somewhat lacking. Keep an eye out and you will find something. You want something that will produce as low as 18-20Hz. Just a few brands to look for: Velodyne, Miller&Krieser, HSU, SVS, Sunfire to name a few. The 18-22Hz you do not really hear as much as you feel it.