HT Monitor for Klipsched Motorhome

HornEd

Since the Klipsched motorhome was vandalized, a new sound and computer system needs to be installed. I nearly bought a Cornea Systems 17" CT1702 on the net but declined because I am not familiar with the brand.

The plan is to have a reliable, flat and wide monitor for use with computer, DVD, CD, or TV input. The motorhome has a generator and inverters (with multiple storage batteries) to provide 110 v. power... this unit only draws 40 watts.

The unit was very slim and flat, had a TFT screen with a 130° viewing angle, built-in TV tuner & stereo speakers, 1280 x 1024 resolution, is about 17"x16"x6½" and 15 lbs. It has inputs for RGB Analog, DVI Standard, NTSC and CVBS. It can serve as a 16.7 million color monitor for Windows or Mac computers. It can be had on the net for less than $700 (including a 3 year warranty).

A little advice from a few Forum Denizens would be most appreciated. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

Some kid stole a 78 celica I had.

I left it unlocked, he had a key that fit.

5 days later, my friend seen him driving it with a different rear plate.

Went back to the area where he seen my car, and noticed another Yellow '78 celica with the rear plate missing.

Hmmmmm....

So by now we are trying to explain to the State Patrol what the situation is, and drive back to the area again.

There he is in my car a few blocks down!

We followed him to some place where he stopped, and called the cops.

Got my car back and he went to jail, We even made the Trooper dig the key out of his pocket that he used, once I found out he had used a key.

He was a little Cluck, had crank on him, recipes in his wallet, my car had ungodly amounts of useless junk in it, and he had 3 prior felonies pending over on the west side of the State.

He road the ol' Celica hard, but it's hard to destroy a 78 celica, but he ripped out all the locks, spidered the windsheild, tore off the VIN #'s, even on the brake booster for some damn reason.

The guy was so dumb that he didn't even realize that the VIN # is STAMPED into the firewall.

Then a Ex-boss backed into it.

Then I gave up on it.

I have nice little '85 GTS coupe now, but I'm afraid to drive it.

I have little Toyota pickup for daily use.

I hate Clucks.

I'm sorry HornED, this was way off Topic.

What do you have, or going to have set-up speakerwise in your Motorhome?

I have never had an auto theft experience. Thank god for Reno now. No **** , there are still car jackings here, but percentage wise, very little.

Detroit has the country's highest insurance, nearly 5X more than some mid-west cities.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I went to a double header at the Houston Astrodome in the late 70's with a 1978 Z-28 and came back out and found that my car had been broken into. They tried to steal the radio, but didn't get it. I guess something scared them off. They did leave me two beers in my ice chest!!

Went back about a month later to another double header and went back out to find the whole car was gone this time. We rode around with the security guard, because he thought I just didnt know where I parked my car. My parents ended up having to come pick me up, about a 100 mile tound trip. A very dis-heartening experience to have your car stolen. It was never found.

Benny

This message has been edited by force95 on 03-29-2002 at 07:08 PM

Thanks Mdeneen and edster00, thanks for your positive input... the monitor is on its way via UPS. It should be installed and ready by the time the "NoCal Horn & Tube Toads" hop to their next social.

And, Mike, don't be "sorry"... there are too many sorry folks already in the world. This is the General Section... so it's the perfect place to go with the flow. Hey, I can always start another thread... but when spontaneity starts the ball rolling... it's better to just let it roll! That's the kind of stuff that makes this place special.

And, on that thought, I have only had one personal vehicle stolen. I had made a deal to takeover the master lease on a 110 store shopping mall. All I needed was the ratification signature of the fellow who owned the land and we were to meet in the mall. About an hour later, I was in control of the mall and happily went to the parking lot... to find my car had been stolen!

Needless to say, my first meeting with Mall Security came a lot earlier than they expected. About two weeks later I got a generous check from my insurance company (USAA) for the vehicle. About a week after that, I saw a couple of, what did you call them Mike... oh, yeah, clucks... driving what used to be my vehicle.

I couldn't call the police... because this was before cell phones... and my car phone was in the vehicle that was stolen. Well, I followed them just to see what would happen. They got increasing nervous and tried to ditch me... and finely they pulled in a private driveway and were joined by several other young toughs and took off again.

Well, it was like a chase scene from a Grade "B" movie. They were breaking all the rules of the road, pulling U-turns in the middle of the street, going the wrong way in traffic, driving across vacant lots... so I figured they didn't just buy the car from the insurance company... but, Mike, I don't like Clucks either!

I was giving chase in a Jaguar that I used to race... and still kept in racing tune... so there was no way these punks were going to out drive me. You would think the twenty minute chase that someone might have gotten hurt, crashed, or attracted the police. In the interest of public safety, I backed off a bit and they seemed to drive a little less crazy. I concentrated on trying to attract the attention of the police.

No such luck, they made it to the Interstate and headed in the direction of Mexico. Frustrated... I just put the pedal to the metal and pulled along side to get a good look and then treated myself to opening the Stromberg's as they fed the throaty roar of a flat out Jag. But even running the tach up past 5000 didn't attract a police car... so, I cooled it, took the next exit, filed a report with the police, and never heard about it again.

I'm sorry Mike, what was this thread supposed to be about something else? cwm4.gif -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-30-2002 at 11:12 AM

Way to go HornED. To be blunt, what race were they, aisan, black, mexican, or white (alpahbetical order)?

I would get lots of pleasure following someone like you did. A little frontier justice could have made your day a little brighter!

Cell phones are great. In England, I has a drunk guy following my around at night. I drove for about 15 minuits, called 999 (British emegency) and in about 5 minuits, had two cop cars around me so I could pull over, and they could arrest the other guy. There was no way in hell I would have stopped and tried to fight. Even if it was justified to fight, I could have been deported and lost my job.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

• Confused 1

Does race really matter, Ken?

A fiend's a fiend, Cluck, Jonser, Tweek,(ADDICT). I mean color is kinda irrelevant here.

You did the right thing in England, no sense getting shot or something.

Plus keeping your job is a nice option.

I'm always awed at the amount of Camera use in London for security.

Security? Or Invasion of Privacy?

THANX!

• Thanks 1

HornEd- I love reading your posts! Really, YOU are my favorite superhero, even though I know you'll downplay your powers. I can't count the number of times you've rescued a "thread in distress."

I can almost hear those car thiefs, as you pulled up next to them in the Jag..."Oh, no!! Not....HornEd!!"

Thanks, Ed!

fini

P.S I'd pick you over James Bond, too.

• Like 1

Thanks, fini, but I don't think a SUPERhero with subHUMAN powers would fly. I do appreciate the notion that my wayward posts have some socially redeeming value before the electrons hit the proverbial (disassembly) fan. Thank you for seeing the fabric beneath the mâché cliché (as zeno might note).

Kenratboy, I tend to leave most "race" issues at the track where small things can make a difference. But, on the human side of things, we all seem to be mongrels of one sort or another... and few of us really trace our ancestry back far enough to meet a kennel club's standards.

Since you bluntly asked, I will bluntly answer... this batch of mongrels were quite pale and probably rejects from some European *****-in-heat/junk-yard-dog random opportunity... but their pupils gave them away as being part of the "Cluck" race (Thanx Mike!) to oblivion. -HornEd

PS: I refused to check the race box on my census form on the grounds that I was supposed to tell the truth... and the truth is we are all mongrels and science cannot find enough evidence to support race as a viable concept. The dark complexioned census taker with the Hispanic last name looked me into my clear blue eyes noted my graying blond hair and said, "You're Caucasian!" To which I responded, "Hey man, I don't call you names... let my "truth" be!" ...and closed the door on yet another sad commentary of the human condition.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-31-2002 at 11:03 PM

HornEd:

It's funny, but one of the things I've noticed during my lifetime, is that the truly intellegent people I have run across do not consider race/ethnicity/nationality/etc. to be of importance. YOU provide additional evidence to suport that pattern I have noticed. Thanks for all of your great contributions to this board!

• Like 1

OK, fu*k it. I never asked about race.

END.

------------------

• Thanks 1

Ken,

When someone asks about race most start to skate(Quebecker term "patiner",or evade the question) seems its a TABOO subject.

cwm27.gif

Just read some statistics man

The bottom line is ALL CRIMINALS no matter from where they originate should stay in jail(forced work and no FREE TV and weightlifting to reinforce them) and murderers put to sleep on the Texas electric chair(fried chicken style).Period

I cant stand the so called human rights activists who cry about how badly criminals are treated.The convicts live in luxury in North America.Make them work,for a 10 cents an hour,as one Sheriff did in the USA.Great idea

The same activists are hypocrits who ignore the victims and their rights.I will say no more because it will get nasty,its a civilised audio board after all

cwm23.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I will have to put 100% approval behind TheEAR's comments. He spoke for me.

Thanks!

------------------

• Haha 1

race does not exist.

it is a concept invented by us to simplify our world.

we like to categorize things, it makes it easier for us to handle/remember them. only natural we classified people too...

only, like any other way of classifying, race has a big drawback: what are the criteria? do we use complexion, cranial patterns, hair color/style, or something else, or a mix, and what mix?

not only that, but as HornEd mentioned, even if the concept of race was ever valid (which I doubt), it is becoming increasingly obsolete: we are mixing it up more than ever before, and soon there will be absolutely nothing to base discrimination on!

I have to admit (because I hate lying to myself) that, having been socially conditioned by parents, friends, etc. I still react to race somewhat. I will surely notice when the person I'm talking to is yellow, black, or another color, while I have no reaction when confronted with a white person.

I am, however, very proud in my reaction whenever somebody makes a racial slur or alludes to other "races" as being inferior. It just kinda makes me twitch and makes me inconfortable by reflex, revealing that my thought process actually affected me on a deeper level.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

quote:

KRB:

Just to be clear, my comments above were not directed at you. I was merely complimenting HornEd -- I was impressed with his reply.

Yes, his reply was very true, read below:

Hmmmm, seems kind of funny that one of my best friends is a black man who was born in Mississippi, went to Med. school in Chicago, and moved out here to Reno to make many hundreds or thousands of dollars a year as a surgon. His home, car, and home theater blow away anything I, or most of you will EVER own. Am I jealous, YES! Do I respect and admire him? HELL YEAH!!! I am not a CHILD that needs to be taught the ways of the world. I have lived in two other countries and I know what other races, cultures, and religion REALLY ARE. I understand that individuals are far more important than the group.

I am not ingorant, insensitive, or misinformed. I am not scared, like some of you, to discuss others. I do not mind people discussing ME! I am disgusted by shows like Boston Public which try to make people scared and WORSHIP minorities (not black people, but minority groups in general). All the friends I have are smart, people who feel comforatable with themselves and have RESPECT for people.

I hope, from the above message, that you get the fact that I respect individuals. Not one group or another, but I look at EVERYONE as WHO THEY ARE, I am NOT concerned with race, religion, or culture.

I live in the real world. I do not follow what is 100% politically correct. I do not blindly follow what some wacko on TV says I should do. Not one in my life have I offended someone in their face, I would never insult someone with a racial/religious/cultural joke. I know better than that.

OK?

------------------

Kenratboy, your last post set admirable standards but, sadly, not ones that I have always lived up to. Partially because I too do not fear talking about people, religion or politics... and have found it difficult to do without someone thinking that I had somehow maligned somebody.

I also don't like people who rip other people off... whether its an eight year-old testing his social boundaries or an eighty year-old boosting Depends at a senior center. When the law proved inadequate, I have participated in administering "Frontier Justice" as my contribution to protecting society. It is not something that I advise... just something that I have been forced to do a time or two... plus.

I try to understand, I try to consider the source, I try to make an informed decision... but when the time for a sense of humor has passed... I don't play.

Ken, I admire many of your posts that I have read on this Forum but when you wrote, "To be blunt, what race were they, aisan, black, mexican, or white (alpahbetical order)?" I was compelled to answer but thought my answer might be misunderstood if I didn't put the "race" word in the mythical perspective where it belongs IMHO.

There is no flame in my answer... just the courage to say what I believe in an open Forum. At least then if someone wants to "flame" me they will have a more informed basis on which to do so.

We live in a world of illusions... Many of the teachings that gave me an "A" in science decades ago would be graded as an "F" today with a notation that the scientific "facts" that I was taught turned out to be myth... scientific myth, yes, but myth after all. And what is to become of today's scientific "laws" and "facts" as they are held up to the inquiring light of history?

That brings us around to the relevance of prejudice... and the importance of using prejudice in our everyday life. Stripped of its rhetorical camp followers, prejudice simply means to pre-judge something or someone before the necessity of judgment occurs.

Prejudice is a way of making decisions ahead of time with partial information so that we can respond to the real situation in a timely way. If I prejudge that it is better to pour sand on a grease fire than water... I have prejudiced the way I am likely to handle a future grease fire. When faced with the reality of a grease fire, I may need to rethink the cat box as a sand alternative... but my prejudice makes me know better than to use water!

And that's the point that gives prejudice a bad name... prejudice gives us tools to potentially use in a given situation... but it is the obligation of the craftsman as a craftsman to determine with his "new" judgment if the facts support using the shortcut of his "old" prejudice.

I grew up in a fashionably prejudiced home where education beyond what the state forced upon your children was not encouraged. I've discarded a lot of old "tools" in my life's workshop and upgrade the ones I have fashioned for myself at every opportunity.

My clients and employees thought me bright... but I can take no pride in it because at every turn I find more ignorance and a pressing need to upgrade my prejudice.

In a way, that's what this Forum is all about... a way that we can put our pre-judged views of Klipsch speakers and all the factors that make them great upon our ears... or grate upon our ears. Once our particular prejudices on "sound" as we know it are exposed... the Forum gives us the opportunity to benefit from other Forum Members' prejudices... and we all have an opportunity to learn from it.

cwm40.gif Hopefully, part of what we have learned that when it is time to do the deed... we review our tool box of prejudice to be sure of what truly fits the task. -HornED

PS: This Forum covers an area where many of us strive to raise "good taste" over "good sense" or vice-versa... while there may be no accounting for "taste" at least we can work together on making better "sense" of it.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-01-2002 at 10:07 AM