Sensitivity???

Why when I compare my RF 7's to my La Scala is there such a large different in SPLs at the same gain setting on my pre amp.

the RF 7's are 102dB at 1 watt and the LS are 104dB at 1 watt, but when I run pink noise the LS are runng like 7dBs hotter.

The 2 speakers are side by side so I think room function plays into the effect very little.

Why when I compare my RF 7's to my La Scala is there such a large different in SPLs at the same gain setting on my pre amp.

the RF 7's are 102dB at 1 watt and the LS are 104dB at 1 watt, but when I run pink noise the LS are runng like 7dBs hotter.

The 2 speakers are side by side so I think room function plays into the effect very little.

I don't know what is going on, but:

• The microphone (or your ears) are directly in front of each in turn, and at the same distance away down to an inch or two, right?
  • The 1 watt assumes 8 Ohms, and both speakers vary over their bandwidth. Some argue for 2.83 volts instead of the 1 watt setting, which might result in different sensitivity ratings.
  • Try putting the LS where the RF 7 is and vice versa, just for ducks. I know they are cheek by jowl, but could the RF 7 be located in a room dip?
In any case, the high sensitivity of the LS, Belle Klipsch, and Klipschorn are worth celebrating!

A while back, Trey said the new ratings add 3dB~4dB (to the anechoic measurement) for room gain.

I don't think the Heritage models were that way.

This could make sense, because when I swapped the RF 5 with the now RF 7's the difference in output was only +1dB if I remember correctly so they could be depending on the room gain. Where as the La Scalas are probably giving a true 104dB at 1 watt plus room gain would make a difference.

The RF-7s are power hungry and present a viscous impedance dip with those two woofers. Being a 2-way vs. a 3-way makes it even worse. With that effect the same gain setting will not produce the same output. This has been discussed many times here. The La Scalas will shine with a 3 watt SET but the RF-7s will struggle comparitively. They may need 50 watts to wake up.

Rick

Thanks Tubes, I have plenty of power available to drive the 7's. I was more interested in the reason the published specs may be so different in terms of relative output when the 2 are compared.

There should be minimal trouble for the amp to drive either speaker with pink noise to measure relative SPL output in regards to impedance dips.

The RF-7s are power hungry and present a viscous impedance dip with those two woofers.

Is the same true of the Palladiums? Thanks...

I dunno about the Paladiums, but considering that they have three woofers, an already low 4 ohm nominal impedance, and the suggested minimum amplifier power is 50 watts, you might assume the same. Maybe Paladium owners will chime in.

Rick

That's correct, I just measured it using Pink Noise and a Rat Shack meter. There's a huge difference in SPL in terms of "hearing" it.

I keep going back and forth between the 7's and the La Scalas, I need new k55 diaphrams inorder to give them some more listening time, as of now the scratchy/buzzy diaphram drives me nuts to listen to them very long.

That's correct, I just measured it using Pink Noise and a Rat Shack meter. There's a huge difference in SPL in terms of "hearing" it.

I keep going back and forth between the 7's and the La Scalas, I need new k55 diaphrams inorder to give them some more listening time, as of now the scratchy/buzzy diaphram drives me nuts to listen to them very long.

Could the distortion byproducts of the damaged diaphrams/voice coil assemblies be adding several dB to the LSs SLP? Is one LS scratchy/buzzy and the other not (you used the plural once and the singular once[:)])?

I'm not sure if it could add to the overall SPL output. It is both speakers sorry for any confusion.

I'm not 100% sure if the diaphrams are bad or not, I think the are dried out but not sure. There's no distortion out of the horn just a buzzing sound from the back of the k55m on both speakers. I took them both apart and there are no rips or tears, I've made sure the connection between the driver and horn is tight, so it leads me to believe the diaphrams are just old and fatigued.

Is there any way to test if is the diaphram for sure?

What else could it be?