New Project La scala 2nd one done (Twins)

kg4guy

• 10 months later...

Yes it the same basic woofer chamber as the La scala's but I followed John Allens version.

It was actually designed by Gary Gillum's son. Gary was the former chief engineer at Klispch and Associates. He is the designer of the KG2 (G squared for his initials) and the co-patent holder with PWK on the MWM woofer (Motengator). I interviewed Gary Gillum a few years back and this is what he told me.

He left Klipsch and started bulding speakers for John Allen, presumably with Paul's blessing.

I have been playing around with various flares of a LaScala type horn. That is a horn about 1 m long and a mouth area close to 0.36 m2 Different flare shapes like exponential, hyperbolic and of different flare rates as well as chamber volumes from 30 to 80 liters. At least to HornResponse the differences seems small. The overalll horn response is set by mouth area and length not the exact flare (within reason) The chamber volume can be reduced to produce a sharper knee at the low pass and also reduce cone motion below the bandpass of the horn. I have my own ideas about making a La Scala light version with a curves and a twist added to it. LaScala does not have bass below 50 Hz but there is something about the slam of a large mouth horn...

• 2 weeks later...